Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you believe they are God's word? (choose reason that MOST applies)
God guided those who decided on the canon to choose the books they did 3 37.50%
They stood the test of the time, God willed history this way 0 0%
They show evidence of the 'divine hand', through prophecy, they 'seem' divinely inspired 2 25.00%
You subjectively 'feel' they are true 0 0%
Because your Church teaches that it's true 0 0%
Other (explain) 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 06:55 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK4J View Post
Chuck Missler used to have a program on a radio station I work at. As I recall he was pretty good but I must say I never got to listen as closely as I would have liked to.
He's a phenomenal teacher and I believe God is using him right now to reveal a whole lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 07:39 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,657,614 times
Why ? ...I have the faith it takes to believe they are the inspired word of the Living God...there is no other book like the Bible...it stands as truth and always will...until the end of time...Amen.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:04 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The original documents were God-inspired, I believe. But we no longer have the originals, just copies of copies of copies x's 1000. The Old Testament is more reliable than the New because its prophecies of Jesus have been fulfilled. The Bible as we know it today did not arrive until the Protestant Reformation. prior to that it had undergone a painful, almost tortuous plethora of revisions as new documents were discovered, corrected, altered to fit prevailing theology, thrown out as uninspired, added as inspired only to be thrown out in later centuries as uninspired after all.

One question that haunts me is: if God really wanted us to have His unadulterated Word certainly He could have miraculously preserved the original texts. But He chose not to for reasons only He knows. So we're left with a text that raises valid questions at best and an outright fraud at worst. But being a fraud doesn't necessarily mean the scriptures are worthless. If what the Bible teaches agrees with your Spirit, which hopefully is in tune with the Holy Spirit, then it will guide you in the truths God wants you to know, despite the fact that Matthew didn't actually write Matthew; Mark didn't write Mark, Luke didn't write Luke, etc.

It is this hodgepodge that is responsible for the bitter debates we've had in here on ET, annihilation, and UR. Not to start a debate again, but Paul says souls will suffer everlasting destruction in 2 Thess. then he says all will be saved and come to the knowledge of truth in 1 Timothy. Jesus says the wicked will be annihilated.
He did preserve the bible. When they found the dead sea scrolls, and compared them to the present version of the bible the scientists were amazed to discover they were practically identical.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM

2,541 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
1Timothy 2:4 has everything to do with all mankind being saved.

It's within an active present tense, which is an ongoing result of a previous action, and in the ongoing result of that action, "desires all men to be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth."
The action itself is indicative of being real. Nowhere, is it subjunctive or that of being contingent, probable, or imperative on the subjects response. Neither, is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful
thinking "that man might" come to this salvation and knowledge.

Of coarse people do not come of their own but read again what I said: "People make the choice after God enlightens [invites] them, not God [to twist the will]." God draws/invites/bidden everyone but many chose not to acknowlege the invitation.

MT 22:2-7 "The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies [Angels], and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city."

You can dance with language all day long but the Word is staight forward, and without ambiquity to those who have the Mind of Christ.

Last edited by garya123; 09-01-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 09-01-2012, 09:43 AM

1,196 posts, read 753,272 times
[quote=Trimac20;25887395] quote]

responding to the topic..." Why do you believe the 66 books deemed as canonical are inspired and true?"

I have many reasons for NOT just believing but knowing they are words from Jehovah God. God wants us to know many things, that man,(science, even though they may try), can’t explain. He also know many had/have questions many CAN’T explain. When I was very young, many said we die, because "God called us home." My sister whos husband was a “ministers” still taught that. The bible showed me, that was false, we die because of sin , (Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord).
I once thought as the old saying goes….”we only live once”, was true, it isn’t. many will come back ,(Dan. 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt). I never knew there will come a time, where NO one would ever die , (1Cor. 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death). and The wicked Angels wasn’t sent to a “hellfire” but directly to earth, (Rev. 12:12 Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time).
Many have to understand, Jehovah God didn’t pick just ANY man to write down his words. He picked men who ALREADY worshipped him. like Daniel, though Daniel didn’t understand what he was writing, (Dan. 12:8,9- And I heard, but I understood not: then said I, O my Lord, what shall be the end of these things? And he said, Go thy way, Daniel: for the words are closed up and sealed till the time of the end). Jehovah basically dictated what he wanted Jeremiah to write , (Jer. 30:1,2- The word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, Thus speaketh the LORD God of Israel, saying, Write thee all the words that I have spoken unto thee in a book).
Just to name a few others ,….Moses wrote thee books of…Exodus ,Leviticus , Num. ,Deut. , and Job. Samuel wrote Judge and Ruth, with Nathan and Gad, he wrote 1st. and 2nd Samuel. Isaiah wrote the book of his name, so did….Hosea, Ezekiel, and Joel. From the New Testaments…Paul wrote…(just to name a few), Rom. ,1st. and 2nd. Cor. ,Heb., and Galatians. Jesus brother James, Mark, Luke John, and Matthews, also has books. Again ALL these men were servants of the God of Israel. The same one that allows us to call him Jehovah. True men wrote the words down, but it was truly by means of Jehovah’s Holy Spirit , (2Pet. 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost). this is why i KNOW the words that wasn't change are truely words from Jehovah God. peace

Old 09-01-2012, 10:38 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
No, Paul doesn't say all will be saved but that God desires all to be saved. It is an open invitation of what God truly desires. He is no respecter of persons and invites all to receive salvation but many refuse the invitation. He does not predetermine but rather forknows who will receive. The Scripture in Timothy is an open invitation to all as it only can be in order to show the heart of God. People make the choice after God enlightens them, not God. This mindset to tare apart the Holy Word of God is very wicked and puts obstacles in the path way of the unlearned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
1Timothy 2:4 has everything to do with all mankind being saved.

It's
within an active present tense, which is an ongoing result of a previous action, and in the ongoing result of that action, "desires all men to be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth."
The action itself is indicative of being real. Nowhere, is it subjunctive or that of being contingent, probable, or imperative on the subjects response. Neither, is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful
thinking "that man might" come to this salvation and knowledge.

Quote:
Of coarse people do not come of their own but read again what I said: "People make the choice after God enlightens [invites] them, not God [to twist the will]." God draws/invites/bidden everyone but many chose not to acknowlege the invitation.

MT 22:2-7 "The Kingdom of Heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage.
But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies [Angels], and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city."

You can dance with language all day long but the Word is staight forward, and without ambiquity to those who have the Mind of Christ.
Having the mind of Christ is beyond that of a mere invitation to the wedding or feast for your own enjoyment.
Once you are enlightened, you will no longer yield to the wasteful and extravagant thoughts of the prodigal son.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:

Sorry Gary this is simply not true. It may appear in ink that choice is the only means of Salvation, but when the scriptures are opened to you, you are left in no doubt that it is God that quickens a man .

Lazarus come Forth !!!!!! . The rest is history.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:36 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,904,903 times
Quote:
No, Paul doesn't say all will be saved but that God desires all to be saved. It is an open invitation of what God truly desires. He is no respecter of persons and invites all to receive salvation but many refuse the invitation. He does not predetermine but rather forknows who will receive. The Scripture in Timothy is an open invitation to all as it only can be in order to show the heart of God. People make the choice after God enlightens them, not God. This mindset to tare apart the Holy Word of God is very wicked and puts obstacles in the path way of the unlearned.
Here's a classic example of what we're talking about:

Let's assume Paul did write 1 Timothy. Now here are various translations

Quote:
New International Version (©1984)
who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.
New Living Translation (©2007)
who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth.

English Standard Version (©2001)
who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

International Standard Version (©2008)
who wants all people to be saved and to come to know the truth fully.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English (©2010)
He who wills that all people shall have Life, and shall be converted to the knowledge of the truth.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
He wants all people to be saved and to learn the truth.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.

American King James Version
Who will have all men to be saved, and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

American Standard Version
who would have all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth.

Douay-Rheims Bible

Darby Bible Translation
who desires that all men should be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth.

English Revised Version
who willeth that all men should be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth.

Webster's Bible Translation

Weymouth New Testament
who is willing for all mankind to be saved and come to a full knowledge of the truth.

World English Bible
who desires all people to be saved and come to full knowledge of the truth.

Young's Literal Translation
who doth will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth;
No we have four operative verbs here:

1.desires
2.wants
3.wills
4.will have

1. "desires" argument: God desires people to be saved but God can't get what He desires because His will is a slave to man's will; man who chooses to sin rather than come to the Light, so God, being frustrated in His desire to save all men, is left with no choice but to condemn them to an eternity of torment in the fires of hell.

Anyone see a problem with this? No?

2. "wants" argument: about the same as "desires". He desperately wants to save all men but again His will is weaker than man's will to sin and so He cannot have what He wants.

Again, anyone see a problem with this line of reasoning? No, again???

3. "wills" argument: this is a little better because God not only wants it but He "wills" its. "My word, which comes from my mouth will not come back to me void. It will accomplish whatever I want and achieve whatever I send it to do."Isaiah 55:11.

So if God wants all men to be saved He is not the type to not get what He wants.

4. "will have" argument: God will have what He desires and what He desires is for all men to be saved.

I honestly do not understand how people argue with this by claiming that, despite Him saying He "will have" what He desires, nevertheless His will is still subservient to man's will; or dancing around this fact by inventing something that's not even there: "Well, Paul is referring only to the saved and not to "all men" . "All" doesn't really mean all, it only means "some"

But the main point is that there's a problem not only with authorship, but also of translation. One is weak(1), one is very, very strong (4).

Old 09-01-2012, 04:53 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Here's a classic example of what we're talking about:

Let's assume Paul did write 1 Timothy. Now here are various translations

No we have four operative verbs here:

1.desires
2.wants
3.wills
4.will have
The word is thelei, and it means deries, wishes, wills etc. If you wanted to know the truth, you would easily find it by looking at how the word is used in other verses like Mark 9:35. However, reading your comments here and on other threads, it is clear you are not interested in the truth, you are interested only in trying to prove the Bible is not accurate.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
What the Spirit desires or has determined shall be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity