Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do you believe they are God's word? (choose reason that MOST applies)
God guided those who decided on the canon to choose the books they did 3 37.50%
They stood the test of the time, God willed history this way 0 0%
They show evidence of the 'divine hand', through prophecy, they 'seem' divinely inspired 2 25.00%
You subjectively 'feel' they are true 0 0%
Because your Church teaches that it's true 0 0%
Other (explain) 3 37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 06:44 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

For those who believe they are. This is your personal opinion. Why do you believe that the final 66 books of the Bible chosen and eventually accepted by most denominations (more specifically Protestants, as Catholics and the Orthodox and others have additional books) are the inspired word of God and deserve their place in the canon?

I mean I often read/hear about apologists talking the 'authenticity', 'reliability' of scripture, as well it's 'historicity' but what does accurately explaining life in 6th century Babylon have to do with whether the books were inspired by GOD? I mean you'd expect ANY text from that period to.

No, what I'm more interested is things like fulfilled prophecy, which imo is the closest the texts could come to 'proving' they were divinely inspired. Other than that a lot of it is subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:57 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,634,329 times
First authenticate the Identity of Jesus Christ and What he says

IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE FROM DANIEL9 THAT JESUS IS THE MESSIAH - CHUCK MISSLER - PART1 - YouTube

Blue Letter Bible - Audio & Video Commentaries - Chuck Smith - Matthew

Then authenticate the design of the Scriptures

Chuck Missler - Cosmic Codes - Vol 1 (Introduction) - Part 1- YouTube

You can look up Bob Cornuke as well as other Archaeologists that are validating the Biblical account as history.

God tells future events as history and says he alone can do it. Authenticating prior prophecies authenticate the Word..

Chuck Missler - Prophecy 101 1 of 4 What Is Prophecy - YouTube

Also the trends today in the World and what the Bible says about future prophecies are unfolding before our very eyes

Countdown To Eternity - Bible Prophecy Documentary - YouTube

A lot of videos, but if you watch them I guarantee you look at things in this world differently.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:52 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
The original documents were God-inspired, I believe. But we no longer have the originals, just copies of copies of copies x's 1000. The Old Testament is more reliable than the New because its prophecies of Jesus have been fulfilled. The Bible as we know it today did not arrive until the Protestant Reformation. prior to that it had undergone a painful, almost tortuous plethora of revisions as new documents were discovered, corrected, altered to fit prevailing theology, thrown out as uninspired, added as inspired only to be thrown out in later centuries as uninspired after all.

One question that haunts me is: if God really wanted us to have His unadulterated Word certainly He could have miraculously preserved the original texts. But He chose not to for reasons only He knows. So we're left with a text that raises valid questions at best and an outright fraud at worst. But being a fraud doesn't necessarily mean the scriptures are worthless. If what the Bible teaches agrees with your Spirit, which hopefully is in tune with the Holy Spirit, then it will guide you in the truths God wants you to know, despite the fact that Matthew didn't actually write Matthew; Mark didn't write Mark, Luke didn't write Luke, etc.

It is this hodgepodge that is responsible for the bitter debates we've had in here on ET, annihilation, and UR. Not to start a debate again, but Paul says souls will suffer everlasting destruction in 2 Thess. then he says all will be saved and come to the knowledge of truth in 1 Timothy. Jesus says the wicked will be annihilated.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:29 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
[quote=thrillobyte;25889851]The original documents were God-inspired, I believe. But we no longer have the originals, just copies of copies of copies x's 1000. The Old Testament is more reliable than the New because its prophecies of Jesus have been fulfilled.

RESPONSE:

>>prophecies of Jesus have been fulfilled. <<

Jesus failed to fulfill the "prophecies" of the Old Testament: ie., he did not sit on the throne of Israel, he did not drive out the Romans and return the rule to Israel, he did not return all Jews to Israel. He did not put an end to war.

>>The Bible as we know it today did not arrive until the Protestant Reformation. prior to that it had undergone a painful, almost tortuous plethora of revisions as new documents were discovered, corrected, altered to fit prevailing theology, thrown out as uninspired, added as inspired only to be thrown out in later centuries as uninspired after all.<<

RESPONSE:

If one realizes that the Bible is a collection of writings by men, this isn't surprising at all.

>>One question that haunts me is: if God really wanted us to have His unadulterated Word certainly He could have miraculously preserved the original texts. But He chose not to for reasons only He knows. So we're left with a text that raises valid questions at best and an outright fraud at worst. But being a fraud doesn't necessarily mean the scriptures are worthless. If what the Bible teaches agrees with your Spirit, which hopefully is in tune with the Holy Spirit, then it will guide you in the truths God wants you to know, despite the fact that Matthew didn't actually write Matthew; Mark didn't write Mark, Luke didn't write Luke, etc. <<

RESPONSE:

>>But being a fraud doesn't necessarily mean the scriptures are worthless<<

This true. They still have literary merit.

>>It is this hodgepodge that is responsible for the bitter debates we've had in here on ET, annihilation, and UR. Not to start a debate again, but Paul says souls will suffer everlasting destruction in 2 Thess. then he says all will be saved and come to the knowledge of truth in 1 Timothy. Jesus says the wicked will be annihilated.

RESPONSE:

>>Paul says souls will suffer everlasting destruction in 2 Thess. then he says all will be saved and come to the knowledge of truth <<

That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it? But then Paul didn't really write 2 Thes, did he? Since 2 Thes contradicts 1 Thes, at least one is a fraud, right?

Old 08-31-2012, 04:43 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
That's kind of a contradiction, isn't it? But then Paul didn't really write 2 Thes, did he? Since 2 Thes contradicts 1 Thes, at least one is a fraud, right?
Well......uhhh....yes. I believe 2 Thess is not accepted as genuine by most scholars, who recognize only Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Philippians, 1 Thessalonians, and Philemon as being genuine.

This might help explain why Paul appears to be talking out of three sides of his mouth at times, as I indicated, because two of those mouths were someone else's.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:54 PM

173 posts, read 135,341 times
Chuck Missler used to have a program on a radio station I work at. As I recall he was pretty good but I must say I never got to listen as closely as I would have liked to.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,541,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The original documents were God-inspired, I believe. But we no longer have the originals, just copies of copies of copies x's 1000. The Old Testament is more reliable than the New because its prophecies of Jesus have been fulfilled. The Bible as we know it today did not arrive until the Protestant Reformation. prior to that it had undergone a painful, almost tortuous plethora of revisions as new documents were discovered, corrected, altered to fit prevailing theology, thrown out as uninspired, added as inspired only to be thrown out in later centuries as uninspired after all.

One question that haunts me is: if God really wanted us to have His unadulterated Word certainly He could have miraculously preserved the original texts. But He chose not to for reasons only He knows. So we're left with a text that raises valid questions at best and an outright fraud at worst. But being a fraud doesn't necessarily mean the scriptures are worthless. If what the Bible teaches agrees with your Spirit, which hopefully is in tune with the Holy Spirit, then it will guide you in the truths God wants you to know, despite the fact that Matthew didn't actually write Matthew; Mark didn't write Mark, Luke didn't write Luke, etc.

It is this hodgepodge that is responsible for the bitter debates we've had in here on ET, annihilation, and UR. Not to start a debate again, but Paul says souls will suffer everlasting destruction in 2 Thess. then he says all will be saved and come to the knowledge of truth in 1 Timothy. Jesus says the wicked will be annihilated.
No, Paul doesn't say all will be saved but that God desires all to be saved. It is an open invitation of what God truly desires. He is no respecter of persons and invites all to receive salvation but many refuse the invitation. He does not predetermine but rather forknows who will receive. The Scripture in Timothy is an open invitation to all as it only can be in order to show the heart of God. People make the choice after God enlightens them, not God. This mindset to tare apart the Holy Word of God is very wicked and puts obstacles in the path way of the unlearned.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:40 PM

889 posts, read 825,471 times
I chose "other". The Catholic Church is the only church with authority to choose the canon and choose they did. Because of Jesus's protection of His Church through the Holy Spirit, the Bible is reliable and inerrant.

...and the gates of hell will not prevail against her.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garya123 View Post
No, Paul doesn't say all will be saved but that God desires all to be saved. It is an open invitation of what God truly desires. He is no respecter of persons and invites all to receive salvation but many refuse the invitation. He does not predetermine but rather forknows who will receive. The Scripture in Timothy is an open invitation to all as it only can be in order to show the heart of God. People make the choice after God enlightens them, not God. This mindset to tare apart the Holy Word of God is very wicked and puts obstacles in the path way of the unlearned.
1Timothy 2:4 has everything to do with all mankind being saved.

It's
within an active present tense, which is an ongoing result of a previous action, and in the ongoing result of that action, "desires all men to be saved and come to the full knowledge of the truth."
The action itself is indicative of being real. Nowhere, is it subjunctive or that of being contingent, probable, or imperative on the subjects response. Neither, is it Optative, as in being unlikely or wishful
thinking "that man might" come to this salvation and knowledge.

Old 09-01-2012, 04:46 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Jesus Holy Spirit said that I must Not study other lost books of the Bible , as He does not have authority there, and it would just cause confusion to Holy Spirit who is called to help us remember the teaching and Words of God which we have heard ...... So when we hear preachers preaches strange ideas that are contrary to the Words of Jesus , than that preachers has studied ideas that brought a confusion in His preaching and Holy Spirit has lead Him to remember ideas that are false , because this is the ideas the preachers has in His spirit .....So if a preacher learned something at his seminary, or something he read which should be thrown in the trash and then forsaken to the Lord , or then the preacher could find false words which will confuse people who listen to him and will have no foundation from the Bible.....So throw those books out that you do not like because they are not whole in spirit to the ways and foundation of Christ ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity