Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:02 AM

34 posts, read 91,609 times

Advertisements

I am at a quandary on what to do.

I know a person of very high authority. He's so high up there, that he's the boss of an entire branch of the government!!

He was a friend of my fathers at the Pentagon before my fathers death on 9/11.

This man, a high ranking official, has stated to me two years ago that he would help me at getting a government job. He told me to talk to his personal assistant, and the assistant did hear everything, and to contact him through his him.

So on 3 different occasions, over the course of a year, when I applied for jobs, I contacted Robert, the assistant, in hopes he would relay the message to his boss.

He did not.

Robert was nice, and wished me luck and pretty much blew me off.

By the third time , I was so upset that I decided that I would never contact Robert again and I would pray and be diligent in my own job hunting and get the job on my own merits, and not to be given a job just because I know someone.

If you are thinking that perhaps this "boss" was just being nice and said it with out meaning it? NO, I have spoke with others that know him and his character and the fact he worked with and liked and respected my father made him genuine in his offer.

BUT Robert doesn't know the history between him and my dad.

I have been looking for jobs and had two interviews but still nothing and I am becoming very beat down and discouraged.

I have been praying and praying asking God for help and direction.

I seek wisdom from older Christians to hear encouragement.

The past couple of weeks my mind has gone back to the "boss" and I was thinking , should I find a way to to talk to him and let him know Robert was blocking me and to see if there is anyway he could help me?

But, I decided against it and brushed it aside.

So the other day I ran into a Lt. Col, an old family friend. He's a strong Christian man and I value his advise and opinion. My mind was not even thinking about the job and boss, when all of a sudden it popped into my head. So I relayed the whole story to him and what he thought.

He agreed that the boss was sincere and said that I should contact him and he told me a way of doing it. He said not to worry about Robert, because he wasn't doing his job. He said, as Christians God calls us to be proactive and I have been and it's not just a whim of a thought, that I've has this drive and passion in me a very long time and that there is a reason we ran into each other!

I wanted to continue our conversation, but he had to run.

Most people would think that this is a no brainer and would jump at the opportunity. But I gusess I'm different and want to do the right thing and be blessed. Plus this boss man is sooo incredibly busy with his running an entire branch, that I don't want to bother him with my little request. He has much bigger fish to fry!!

My question is, should I contact the boss?? I want to know of any biblical examples that supports what I am about to do. Is it wrong to seek men rather then to wait on God's timing? Maybe this IS the right time?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 07:56 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,090,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtechgal View Post
I am at a quandary on what to do.

I know a person of very high authority. He's so high up there, that he's the boss of an entire branch of the government!!

He was a friend of my fathers at the Pentagon before my fathers death on 9/11.

This man, a high ranking official, has stated to me two years ago that he would help me at getting a government job. He told me to talk to his personal assistant, and the assistant did hear everything, and to contact him through his him.

So on 3 different occasions, over the course of a year, when I applied for jobs, I contacted Robert, the assistant, in hopes he would relay the message to his boss.

He did not.

Robert was nice, and wished me luck and pretty much blew me off.

By the third time , I was so upset that I decided that I would never contact Robert again and I would pray and be diligent in my own job hunting and get the job on my own merits, and not to be given a job just because I know someone.

If you are thinking that perhaps this "boss" was just being nice and said it with out meaning it? NO, I have spoke with others that know him and his character and the fact he worked with and liked and respected my father made him genuine in his offer.

BUT Robert doesn't know the history between him and my dad.

I have been looking for jobs and had two interviews but still nothing and I am becoming very beat down and discouraged.

I have been praying and praying asking God for help and direction.

I seek wisdom from older Christians to hear encouragement.

The past couple of weeks my mind has gone back to the "boss" and I was thinking , should I find a way to to talk to him and let him know Robert was blocking me and to see if there is anyway he could help me?

But, I decided against it and brushed it aside.

So the other day I ran into a Lt. Col, an old family friend. He's a strong Christian man and I value his advise and opinion. My mind was not even thinking about the job and boss, when all of a sudden it popped into my head. So I relayed the whole story to him and what he thought.

He agreed that the boss was sincere and said that I should contact him and he told me a way of doing it. He said not to worry about Robert, because he wasn't doing his job. He said, as Christians God calls us to be proactive and I have been and it's not just a whim of a thought, that I've has this drive and passion in me a very long time and that there is a reason we ran into each other!

I wanted to continue our conversation, but he had to run.

Most people would think that this is a no brainer and would jump at the opportunity. But I gusess I'm different and want to do the right thing and be blessed. Plus this boss man is sooo incredibly busy with his running an entire branch, that I don't want to bother him with my little request. He has much bigger fish to fry!!

My question is, should I contact the boss?? I want to know of any biblical examples that supports what I am about to do. Is it wrong to seek men rather then to wait on God's timing? Maybe this IS the right time?

I work for the DoD...You should contact your father's freind and let him know what this Robert is doing because if he is blowing you off what or who else is he blowing off?...You would be doing your father's freind a favor in letting him realize that robert might not be a good fit for him and is making his own decisions that may or may not be in your father's freind's best interest...I do not mean to tell him this exactly, he is where he is at because of his logic and reason, he'll figure it out himself with what you tell him regarding your own problem with Robert...He may wonder why Robert is not helping you when he sent you to Robert for help and he may also wonder what Robert is also not doing that he is trusting him to do...I would not be where I am without other's help and at the same time I also try to help others...You are not an Island...As you mentioned, you have asked HaShem to help you and He has given you the tools to do it...It is a blessing that HaShem has put you in a position with your father's freind, if you do not utilize this then you have nothing to complain about, HaShem has given you a hoe and a bag of seeds and yet you wonder why nothing has grown in your garden...Well, you need to turn the soil and plant the seeds and then HaShem will cause them to grow...I would advise you to speak with your fathers freind with all humility...

Old 09-06-2012, 09:42 AM

Thank you Richard1965 for your advise. You are correct, I have been given the tools, so I need to use them. The hand writing is on the wall!

Also, my thought is once I get in or if I do, I don't want the department knowing I got the job because of the boss. Like, I couldn't get the job on my own with out help. But then again, a lot of people get in because they know someone inside.

It's too bad the playing field isn't level for all!!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thank you Richard1965 for your advise. You are correct, I have been given the tools, so I need to use them. The hand writing is on the wall!

Also, my thought is once I get in or if I do, I don't want the department knowing I got the job because of the boss. Like, I couldn't get the job on my own with out help. But then again, a lot of people get in because they know someone inside.

It's too bad the playing field isn't level for all!!
giving a position to you because of freindship and not due to your qualifiations is wrong...If you posess the qualifications to do the job, then it is right...Giving a job to someone to run a company that has no skills to do so, but just because he is the owner's son is wrong, however, if the owner's son has the skill set to do the job...There is nothing wrong here...We are all our brother's keeper...As you are helped also you should help others...Do you understand what I am conveying to you?...It is not wrong to help and be helped by others...What is wrong is ignoring the fact that the person may not have the skill set...Then it becomes nepotism...If you have the skill set, then this is not the case, your father's freind is merely trying to help a freinds daughter get ahead...He is not giving it to you on a silver platter...He is just opening a door for you, once you step through that door, it is up to you to show him that he did not make a mistake...In essence, he has given you the door to come to, you are knocking, he has told his butler to answer the door, but his butler is not doing his job and answering the door, in essence his butler is speaking to you through the door and telling you to go elsewhere and good luck with your search instead of obeying his boss and permitting you entrance...It does not matter whether you got the job because of the boss...How do you think any of us get a job?...It is because of an interview and the boss liking what he sees and hiring us...This particular boss obviously knows you, I am assuming, from a baby on up to adulthood via his long-time freindship with your father...I wouldn't tell anyone how you got the position, it is none of their business...For if you tell them, you may be scrutinzed further and they may pick at small flaws in your work that they normally ignore or overlook in others...This is just human nature...Keep it to yourself...And prove that he did no err in his judgement of your capabilities...My cousin is retired from the CIA and Proffessor of Physics and NASA, and once in a while I utilize his 'knowledge' but I do not depend on it...He opens a door and I walk in...After that, it is understood that I am on my own to prove myself...Let me know how you do in your situation...I am at, the_lyons_heart@yahoo.com....

Old 09-06-2012, 10:45 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,903,982 times
Contact the boss.

Probably all he will do is help arrange some job interviews, which I assume is all you are asking.

I got a job with DoD that way. I gave my resume to a friend and he gave it to some people at DoD. I had a couple interviews and got a job offer.

See, even Atheists can give good advice.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:55 AM

I do have the skills. I am very good at what I do. If I wasn't, I would not have made it past HR on the jobs i applied for, neither would I have had the interviews. I see exactly what your talking about. So no worries that I'm clueless about my capabilities.

My stomach is sick over the thought of writing someone that important!!! I will be as gracious and humble as I can be!! I need to have it done by Tuesday, as I'm going to the Pentagon for the 9/11 anniversary.

I've got my work cut out for me..for sure!! I'll let you know how it goes... Thanks again

Old 09-06-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
I do have the skills. I am very good at what I do. If I wasn't, I would not have made it past HR on the jobs i applied for, neither would I have had the interviews. I see exactly what your talking about. So no worries that I'm clueless about my capabilities.

My stomach is sick over the thought of writing someone that important!!! I will be as gracious and humble as I can be!! I need to have it done by Tuesday, as I'm going to the Pentagon for the 9/11 anniversary.

I've got my work cut out for me..for sure!! I'll let you know how it goes... Thanks again
No problem...May HaShem bless you in this...

Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,862,206 times
You might want to read the book of Esther for a Biblical illustration of dealing with obstructive advisors.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:29 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,794,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
You might want to read the book of Esther for a Biblical illustration of dealing with obstructive advisors.
Romance the Boss?!?! Maybe not a good idea...

-NoCapo

Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,046,682 times
What you should watch out is the cronyism in your job search , as some people will not even consider you if you are to forward in your relations ...... What Jesus would do is `first seek the kingdom of God and then all things would be added ``.. is what Heaven advice is as Jesus would want to put you is a position By the Lord and not by men , Just like the man Jesus told to ``go and sell everything you have and then give it to the poor ``...... See Jesus would have you rely on Him for your needs. and not men ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity