Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 03:52 PM

717 posts, read 648,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
liberation theology. The only thing it will liberate you of is your eternal life. (Road to hell) Bible is not about reforming this world but salvation from it. Jesus never taught any rebellion against govt. Paul clearly teaches against it. Rom 13
Jesus makes it quite clear what his mission is in Luke:

". . . The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor. . . [Lk 4:18-19]

Further being focused on the plight of the poor will not lose you your salvation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
but isn't this a good thing, because from what I know of history, there were a lot of unpleasant dictatorships in South America, ones which really bashed the poor;
The focus of Jesus was the salvation of the soul, eternal life and the peace and joy of the Gospel. The focus of the liberation theology is to improve your life here and now. Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world, while liberation theology offers "better life now".

Quote:
and weren't the churches often in league with the elite in those countries?
The Catholic church was the one pushing for this new theology.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The focus of Jesus was the salvation of the soul, eternal life and the peace and joy of the Gospel. The focus of the liberation theology is to improve your life here and now. Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world, while liberation theology offers "better life now".

The Catholic church was the one pushing for this new theology.
The Kingdom is here in this world, it's just not a worldly or religious kingdom. The just "living" by faith, life cannot be better in the here and now. Goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life .

He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Romans 13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except by God’s appointment, and the authorities that exist have been instituted by God. 13:2 So the person who resists such authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will incur judgment.
so how does this work in the real world.

if God appointed Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Idi Amin etc.. does that mean they are all good and should be followed.

some here have criticised Marx, so why did God put Lenin into power?

what if govt. came in by a violent coup - should we follow it obediently?

if God put Saddam Hussein into power then what right does Christian George Bush have in bombing him?

and how about the Taliban?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:30 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwimac View Post

Liberation theology is about the fact that God expects those of us who are well-off to look out for our neighbours who are not. Read Amos, Hosea and Joel then get back to me, also consider the witness of the early Church in Jerusalem.
Wrong. That's not what it's about.

Those here who support Liberation Theology don't understand what Liberation Theology IS and the idea behind it. It's faaaar too simple to say that it's about helping the poor. Of course we're supposed to help the poor. No one disputes that. What's behind Liberation Theology is the REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH to KEEP EVERY PERSON ON AN EQUAL FINANCIAL FIELD. It doesn't want anyone having more than others so, when they have it, they need to distribute it to those who don't have as much.

Is that what you want? I'm sure many people on the forum have lost their jobs and have less than you. If you're such a believer of Liberation Theology, let me ask you this... Are you a doer of Liberation Theology? Remember now, just helping the poor isn't enough. Have you redistributed what you have to those who don't have as much?

Has ANYONE who supports Liberation Theology redistributed their wealth or are you all just waiting for YOUR share? Point blank -- that's what it's about. People who support Liberation Theology always want OTHERS to be the ones who give. They ignore the fact that there are others who have even less than themselves and they don't want to part with what they have because they feel like it's not enough as it is.

THAT'S the point of this thread. THAT'S what Liberation Theology is. It's 100% unbiblical. There is no precedent or example for this in the scriptures. It is easily traced to it's beginnings in South America among the peasants in the 1950's. After it failed there, it was adopted by poor black communities in North America and they still cling desperately to it. That's it. That's it's complete history and it's rooted in greed.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:40 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,651,465 times
To Kenneth Kaunda, the OP of this thread:

You are very clearly in favor of Liberation Theology. Have YOU redistributed what you have to the poor so that they are no longer on a lower financial level than you? Do you continue to do this as you get paid from your job, to give the money to the poor? If not, then your arguments are worthless because you aren't living by what you say you believe. The believers in Liberation Theology are all waiting for THEIR share of the wealth. That's why it produced REVOLTS. It wasn't those with the wealth that revolted.

Liberation Theology is not only unbiblical but it's IMPOSSIBLE. We could take all of the world's money right now and divide it up evenly and the overwhelming majority of the poor are going to be poor again. It's a cycle that never ends.

Help the poor, yes. But don't make a theology out of it.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:25 AM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post

Those here who support Liberation Theology don't understand what Liberation Theology IS and the idea behind it. It's faaaar too simple to say that it's about helping the poor. Of course we're supposed to help the poor. No one disputes that. What's behind Liberation Theology is the REDISTRIBUTION OF WEALTH to KEEP EVERY PERSON ON AN EQUAL FINANCIAL FIELD. It doesn't want anyone having more than others so, when they have it, they need to distribute it to those who don't have as much.

Is that what you want? I'm sure many people on the forum have lost their jobs and have less than you. If you're such a believer of Liberation Theology, let me ask you this... Are you a doer of Liberation Theology? Remember now, just helping the poor isn't enough. Have you redistributed what you have to those who don't have as much?

Has ANYONE who supports Liberation Theology redistributed their wealth or are you all just waiting for YOUR share? Point blank -- that's what it's about. People who support Liberation Theology always want OTHERS to be the ones who give. They ignore the fact that there are others who have even less than themselves and they don't want to part with what they have because they feel like it's not enough as it is.

THAT'S the point of this thread. THAT'S what Liberation Theology is. It's 100% unbiblical. There is no precedent or example for this in the scriptures. It is easily traced to it's beginnings in South America among the peasants in the 1950's. After it failed there, it was adopted by poor black communities in North America and they still cling desperately to it. That's it. That's it's complete history and it's rooted in greed.
Quote:
To Kenneth Kaunda, the OP of this thread:

You are very clearly in favor of Liberation Theology. Have YOU redistributed what you have to the poor so that they are no longer on a lower financial level than you? Do you continue to do this as you get paid from your job, to give the money to the poor? If not, then your arguments are worthless because you aren't living by what you say you believe. The believers in Liberation Theology are all waiting for THEIR share of the wealth. That's why it produced REVOLTS. It wasn't those with the wealth that revolted.

Liberation Theology is not only unbiblical but it's IMPOSSIBLE. We could take all of the world's money right now and divide it up evenly and the overwhelming majority of the poor are going to be poor again. It's a cycle that never ends.

Help the poor, yes. But don't make a theology out of it.
Amen !

Tell it like it is !

Old 09-11-2012, 01:32 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times
Quote:
Catholic bishops started adopting this theology in South America in the 1950's. The wealthy didn't care to part with their money and the poor were encouraged to revolt. But, in the 1980's the Catholic church spoke against this theology (which has deep roots in Roman Catholicism) because of the Marxist leanings and the revolts associated with it.

It was John Paul II who actually spoke out against, one must remember John Paul for most of his life never knew freedom, first under the Nazis then under communism, he distrusted anything that he thought
may have a hint of communism in it.
If John Paul was not pope it would have not gotten bad rap, it is gainning favor these days with it's preference for the poor but that is as far as I will go into it because I do not have a strong background in it however I do know an old Franciscan that worked in Latin America that used to sit around discussing it back the nwhen everything was going on in Latin America , I thought he has said with Gustavo Gutiérrez although not 100% sure on that, I will have to ask him about that and have him give me a better understanding of Liberation Theolgy.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:08 PM

5,261 posts, read 7,661,840 times
Liberation Theology ?...you want Liberation Theologists ?...here's one who subscribes to Liberation Theology...yea...here's one for ya...it's just fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!! ...absolutely fantastic !!!!!!!!! ...

Obama's "Catholic Plan" - YouTube

...oh...and DO NOT miss this one...it specifically tells us how he loves and lives for Liberation Theology !...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-HqH...feature=fvwrel

...go ahead...vote for him for 4 more...that'll give him just enough time to totally ruin us - US !

Old 09-11-2012, 03:40 PM

717 posts, read 648,135 times
Quote:

I have read Gutierriez and Boff and I have given both of my time and my resources, have you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity