Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:57 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What I'm saying is that they are using a definition of "fear" that has nothing to do with being afraid. According to the definition they are putting forward they say "fearing" is actually trusting and believing NOT being afraid. They may or may not be wrong to define the word "fear" in such a way, but why argue over semantics? If they believe one has no reason to be afraid of God and you believe that also, then you are in agreement, aren't you?
Fear does not mean that to them, we all know that who have seen God in a different light to what we were indoctrinated with. You cannot sugarcoat fear and pass it off has meaning trusting and believing in God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:02 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have never heard trusting and believing as being fearing God before,and to me in my opinion to believe it,your mind cannot be possibly sound. It simply does not make sense when you know fear is not of God. It's a mystery that when we become Christian's we take leave of our senses, especially in the Light that Jesus Christ is the reality of what God thinks of us.
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Tim 1:7
I sense your frustration, pcamps . . . and it is justified. But we all have our own ways of accommodating our inner belief in God with the existing "precepts and doctrines of men" that dominate the mainstream churches. The fear mongers among the leadership carry a heavy burden for burdening their flock with unnecessary fear corrupting any love they have for God. It is very sad, pcamps . . . very sad indeed.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:06 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
I have never heard trusting and believing as being fearing God before,and to me in my opinion to believe it,your mind cannot be possibly sound. It simply does not make sense when you know fear is not of God. It's a mystery that when we become Christian's we take leave of our senses, especially in the Light that Jesus Christ is the reality of what God thinks of us.

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
2 Tim 1:7

Well Pcamps they can only mean one of two things: either they have redefined the word 'fear' to mean 'trust and believe' because they KNOW there is no reason to be afraid of God; or they are unwittingly talking out both sides of their mouths [as you put it 'have taken leave of their senses'] and are in reality saying, "Of course 'fear' really means 'trusting and believing', but you should still be afraid of God". I'm hoping it's the former.

Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hey allen,
I never got an answer... just wondering if you saw the question because it was at the end of the first page.
peace,
sparrow
Yes I got the question. And yes, I believe God loves me. I wouldn't have even lasted a person had I not known that. But as for your other questions (that are actually accusations) and the other people who responded to me, I don't try to bother anymore. I know the truth and I have the truth. There's no use arguing with people trying to prove my point when you don't believe nor understand.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Well Pcamps they can only mean one of two things: either they have redefined the word 'fear' to mean 'trust and believe' because they KNOW there is no reason to be afraid of God; or they are unwittingly talking out both sides of their mouths [as you put it 'have taken leave of their senses'] and are in reality saying, "Of course 'fear' really means 'trusting and believing', but you should still be afraid of God". I'm hoping it's the former.
I believe it's the second one without doubt and if you pressed them, the buts,ifs and only would be brought into the equation too. How do I know this ?, I am an ex biblean myselfbut somehow and unknown to me, God brought me to my senses.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I believe it's the second one without doubt and if you pressed them, the buts,ifs and only would be brought into the equation too. How do I know this ?, I am an ex biblean myselfbut somehow and unknown to me, God brought me to my senses.

In a sense, I AM pressing them. If they say nothing, it means they agree there is no reason to be afraid of God. If they disagree with that, then let the buts/ifs/only's begin and your point will be proven.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
In a sense, I AM pressing them. If they say nothing, it means they agree there is no reason to be afraid of God. If they disagree with that, then let the buts/ifs/only's begin and your point will be proven.
We know revering God is something that is wise to do,because our concept of Him determines the issues in our Life. So I revere Him as the one who brings peace,sets the captives free, heals the broken hearted, restores and rebuilds, gives beauty for ashes, the oil of gladness for those who mourn and a garment of those who are beaten down with a spirit of heaviness from the oppresser and the oppressive doctrines of men.

But only if you are a believer ?

Old 10-25-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
We know revering God is something that is wise to do,because our concept of Him determines the issues in our Life. So I revere Him as the one who brings peace,sets the captives free, heals the broken hearted, restores and rebuilds, gives beauty for ashes, the oil of gladness for those who mourn and a garment of those who are beaten down with a spirit of heaviness from the oppresser and the oppressive doctrines of men.

But only if you are a believer ?

Everyone, without exception, believes something about what the Truth of our existence is, therefore we're all 'believers'. And I agree that what we believe determines how we experience our life.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,362 times
Quote:
Everyone, without exception, believes something about what the Truth of our existence is, therefore we're all 'believers'. And I agree that what we believe determines how we experience our life.
We do have choices. I choose a loving father not a "Git You" one.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:33 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,840 times
Jeremiah 23:1-9

King James Version (KJV)

1 Woe be unto the pastors that destroy and scatter the sheep of my pasture! saith the Lord.

2 Therefore thus saith the Lord God of Israel against the pastors that feed my people; Ye have scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them: behold, I will visit upon you the evil of your doings, saith the Lord.

Jeremiah 22

22 The wind shall eat up all thy pastors, and thy lovers shall go into captivity: surely then shalt thou be ashamed and confounded for all thy wickedness.

23 O inhabitant of Lebanon, that makest thy nest in the cedars, how gracious shalt thou be when pangs come upon thee, the pain as of a woman in travail!

24 As I live, saith the Lord, though Coniah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah were the signet upon my right hand, yet would I pluck thee thence;

25 And I will give thee into the hand of them that seek thy life, and into the hand of them whose face thou fearest, even into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and into the hand of the Chaldeans.

26 And I will cast thee out, and thy mother that bare thee, into another country, where ye were not born; and there shall ye die.

27 But to the land whereunto they desire to return, thither shall they not return.

28 Is this man Coniah a despised broken idol? is he a vessel wherein is no pleasure? wherefore are they cast out, he and his seed, and are cast into a land which they know not?

29 O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the Lord.

Malachi 3:6

For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

Fearing the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity