Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 04:36 AM

428 posts, read 330,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plain and simple View Post
I'm in absolute agreement with Jimmy Joe Bob.
Well to be honest, I actually read the book God gave us so I had the inside scoop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 05:17 AM

3,066 posts, read 3,722,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe Bob View Post
Well to be honest, I actually read the book God gave us so I had the inside scoop!
RESPONSE:

Exactly what book did God give us and when was it given? And your evidence is...?

Old 10-16-2012, 11:42 AM

428 posts, read 330,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient warrior View Post
RESPONSE:

Exactly what book did God give us and when was it given? And your evidence is...?
If you don't know that then you need to start a new thread on that topic so it can be discussed.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:
2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:
3. Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary:
4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
5. The third day he rose again from the dead:
6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
7. From thence he shall come to judge the living and the dead:
8. I believe in the Holy Spirit:
9. I believe in the Universal Church: the communion of saints:
10. The forgiveness of sins:
11. The resurrection of the body:
12. And the life everlasting.
There are undoubtedly many people who regularly recite/read the Apostles Creed in church (which is based entirely on Scripture) ... without ever really thinking about what they are saying, or what it means to them. Similarly, many seem to find comfort in reciting the 'Lord's Prayer' ... as though Christ had said, "recite the words of this prayer over and over" ... instead of teaching His disciples to "pray in this manner."

Perhaps the main difference among Christians between those who have 'religion' --- vs those who live in a daily relationship' with the living Lord ... is how PERSONAL one's faith and Lord is to them. In this respect, I believe that knowing Christ as one's Savior always precedes knowing Christ as one's Lord (It's the difference between 'baby Christians' and true disciples.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:23 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:
6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:
To some extent, I agree with most of them. I would have to qualify several of the statements, though, in order to accurately state my position. I can do so, if you're interested.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:54 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
To some extent, I agree with most of them. I would have to qualify several of the statements, though, in order to accurately state my position. I can do so, if you're interested.
Sure. And I promise to not comment.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:04 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Sure. And I promise to not comment.
Don't feel as if you can't comment. I'm sure you can comment without breaking any of the forum rules, and I would be interested in what you have to say...

Quote:
Actually, I believe that Jesus Christ was the Creator of our universe, but that He worked under His Father's direction.

Quote:
I agree 100% with this statement.

Quote:
I'm not entirely comfortable with the phrase "conceived by the Holy Spirit." The scriptures clearly state that the Holy Spirit would overshadow Mary, so the Holy Spirit most definitely did play an important role in Christ's conception. The statement, "conceived by the Holy Spirit" implies that the Holy Spirit is the Father of Jesus Christ, though, which I don't believe to be accurate. I see God the Father as being the Father of Jesus Christ.

Quote:
I agree completely.

Quote:
I agree completely.

Quote:
I actually probably take this more literally than you do.

Quote:
Again, I agree.

Quote:
I do, too.

Quote:
Well, I agree with the statement, but I obviously don't see the "Universal Church" as the same entity as you probably do.

Quote:
Yes, but I believe forgiveness is conditional upon repentence of those sins, and not merely on faith.

Quote:
I agree.

Quote:
I agree.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:25 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,545,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Don't feel as if you can't comment. I'm sure you can comment without breaking any of the forum rules, and I would be interested in what you have to say...

Actually, I believe that Jesus Christ was the Creator of our universe, but that He worked under His Father's direction. OK. The Classic view is that Jesus is God so in a way I can see your point.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the phrase "conceived by the Holy Spirit." The scriptures clearly state that the Holy Spirit would overshadow Mary, so the Holy Spirit most definitely did play an important role in Christ's conception. The statement, "conceived by the Holy Spirit" implies that the Holy Spirit is the Father of Jesus Christ, though, which I don't believe to be accurate. I see God the Father as being the Father of Jesus Christ. Again, the Classic view is that the HS is the Spirit that is God and it is that aspect that works in people lives. With that said, God is the Father of Jesus

I actually probably take this more literally than you do. No doubt.

Well, I agree with the statement, but I obviously don't see the "Universal Church" as the same entity as you probably do. My understanding: These days, and to a lessor extent in the past, most Christians understand that the name on the sign in front of the building does not determine who gets into heaven. Rather one must be part of the Universal Church. That Church consists of all True believers in Christ. Short definition: True believers are those who worship God in Spirit and in Truth (see John 4:23) and take being a Christian seriously.

Yes, but I believe forgiveness is conditional upon repentence of those sins, and not merely on faith. I don't think many Christians think otherwise. Some do.

The requesite "one character" as required by the error messege.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
#3, He was conceived of a virgin, though we think she might not have been a virgin when she gave birth.

#9, how you define Universal Church is a sticky issue. Do you mean the organization that kill and martyred many Christians for centuries? Of do you mean the Body-of-Christ as taught in Ephesians?

Otherwise, my church agrees with all of these things.

Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Some of the sticky points were the descended in to hell which in Ephesians 4: 9-10 and in 1 Peter 3:19 says ..``that Jesus went and preached to the spirits in prison, which sometime were disobedient , when once the long suffering of God waited in the days of Noah``... See say that Jesus went to the prison of spirits and told them the authority that what they had, is now gone and Jesus to now the usurper of the authority....... other one is the Universal Church which means from Ephesians 4: 3-7....``To keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace, There is one body, and one Spirit, even as we are called in one hope of your calling...One Lord, one faith, one baptism...One God and Father of all who is above all and through all all and in you all , but to every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ...``...... Then the communion of saints from the scripture 1 Corinthians 12: 12-14.....``For the body is one and has many members , and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ...For by one Spirit are we all baptized in to one body....For the body is not one member but many...... See God desire that His believers are one and it is His hope and God purpose , as there is No divisions in Heaven .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity