Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM

37,509 posts, read 61,537,745 times

Advertisements

They like tithes, but do not do any charity work.

They are not good at practicing the things they teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 PM

889 posts, read 826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure that "lies" is the right word for it, but I am very much opposed to my Church's involvement in gay rights issues. I know I'm not alone in how I feel, but I also know I'm very much in the minority.
The fact you are in the minority is irrelevant. Morality is not something that can be voted on. It just is.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
They like tithes, but do not do any charity work.

They are not good at practicing the things they teach.
Who are "they"? You need to be specific and not just toss out negative stereotypes.

My church is big on Tithes and we do a ton of charity work.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
The fact you are in the minority is irrelevant. Morality is not something that can be voted on. It just is.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I think you may have misunderstood me. I believe that homosexual intimacy is wrong. I just don't believe churches (including my own) should have the right to impose their own standard of morality on unbelievers, particularly when their civil rights are affected. In other words, I'd be happier just letting God do the judging and punishing.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 PM

889 posts, read 826,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but I think you may have misunderstood me. I believe that homosexual intimacy is wrong. I just don't believe churches (including my own) should have the right to impose their own standard of morality on unbelievers, particularly when their civil rights are affected. In other words, I'd be happier just letting God do the judging and punishing.
Darn, Katz, that would mean you are wrong about religion and politics. I could barely even talk to you. I mean, what else is there to talk about.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:42 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,572,018 times
Quote:
Darn, Katz, that would mean you are wrong about religion and politics. I could barely even talk to you. I mean, what else is there to talk about.
What you are saying is that Katzpur is not allowed to follow her conscience and what she believes is right per God. Why? Because parts of society say different. It is people like you who would take away the right of freedom of relgion and speech. You have no clue what religion is about. Politics...yea it's all about politics.

I see right thru you.

Old 10-21-2012, 02:54 PM

467 posts, read 665,945 times
My Church has no lies, only Truth. It's time that we do what Jesus told us to do and stop judging our neighbor.
The Temple of The Presence - Ascended Master Teachings

Old 10-21-2012, 02:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
I don't know... Read any good books lately?

Old 10-21-2012, 04:22 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,411,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I currently attend a "Church of God" church and they seriously believe they are the one true church and that if your not baptized in it, your going to Hell. I know they are dead wrong but they are such nice people I don't know how I'm going to break it to them that I'm going to leave. I've established a connection with some of them that I normally avoid doing. It's going to be hard but eventually I will. This is just not the church for me.
I agree with you. The "if not one of us, you're going to hell" mantra is really flawed. Granted, you may have made some friends, but you can also eventually make friends in other congregations who have a broader view of who makes it through the Pearly Gates.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM

88,725 posts, read 85,080,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
What are the things that you know are false that your church teaches? When you hear your church teach it how do you just accept it without questioning the pastor and try to correct him/her?

If you dont believe in....tithing. what is your reaction when your pastor says you better tithe?

or if you do believe in it and the pastor says not to tithe?

Do you just pick and choose what battles to fight?. No church is perfect, so you know and must admit that your church teaches some things that are lies. What do you consider the lies that your church teaches. And how can you sit there?

When i use to go to church, i did not agree with tithing. I would question the other people, but they just decided that if the pastor teaches it, then they must believe it.
They also had people rolling on the floor. I would be amazed how many people did such a thing. I know it was not biblical, but i just sat there like a fool, and sad for these people at the same time.
I am not perfect, and i am sure i have alot of learning to do. But i could no longer stand it when there would be christians who have been in the faith for many years, but could not answer simple questions.
Who would even attend a church that has a pastor who says "you better tithe"? ROFL.

I don't think my church teaches lies. I rarely disagree with my priest, because he is truly a biblical scholar, but we did disagree on the sacrifice of Jephthah's daughter--he believes Jephthah actually sacrificed her, as in killed her, and I do not. More often than not, however, I learn from him.

We don't roll on the floor in my church. We sing, (rather badly for the most part), pray, read a number of bible passages from the OT, Epistles, Gospels and a Psalm, then the priest teaches from the biblical passages read. And then we celebrate communion. No rolling is included in any service in the Book of Common Prayer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity