Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM

151 posts, read 183,196 times

Advertisements

First excuse my ignorance. I have tried to google this but I'm still confused. I was born a catholic and I still don't understand the breakdown of the protestant church

I hear there are lutherans, evangelics, baptist ,black chuches etc I see a bunch of churches in Florida that I don't even know what denomination they belong to. I hear religious radio programs that I guess are evangelic?

Are born again christians evangelics? Are they 26% of the USA population?

ARe lutherans, baptists, methodist, presbytherian, mainland protestant or are some of them evangelics?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I am methodist and wife Catholic. Perhaps the best way to learn is by attending each services.The main difference I see is that no one in the methodist church is seen as any more holy or god's appointed like the Pope is in catholic chruch. The basic believes are pretty much the same otherwise.One thingI always find starnge is with the pope being infallable ;yet like us Methodist they prey for the sins of the church too.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Breakdown of the protestant church is pretty accurate. It used to be that you had a reasonable expectation that if you attended a protestant service of a particular denomination there would be some kind of uniformity to doctrine and practice. Now there is no way to tell what you will get in most denominations on Sunday morning. So, you will have to inquire in each individual church as to their beliefs, practice, doctrine etc.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 PM

I was born a catholic but I'm no longer a catholic

From what I remember the Pope was like this special man who was far removed from the local churches and he just happened to tour some countries once every 10 or 20 years. we really dealt with the priest and nuns, but besides hearing your sins(a horrible practice, I hated it) and giving you a tasty host with wine, the priests didn't have any special power.

I guess I get confused with protestants because there are so many denominations. I just wanted to understand them better, but I'm not really a religious person.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Breakdown of the protestant church is pretty accurate. It used to be that you had a reasonable expectation that if you attended a protestant service of a particular denomination there would be some kind of uniformity to doctrine and practice. Now there is no way to tell what you will get in most denominations on Sunday morning. So, you will have to inquire in each individual church as to their beliefs, practice, doctrine etc.
So if someone moves to another city is it possible they could change their church and denomination?

I guess my question is do most protestants consider themselves part of the same religion and switching is just normal?

I guess it's more Similar to roman catholics and orthodox catholics. Orthodox catholics have different beliefs(no 3d representations of saints, no pope) but it seems they see all catholics as their own.

Last edited by Where is W?; 11-13-2012 at 10:48 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 08:53 AM

21,132 posts, read 19,714,475 times
The Catholic Church descended directly from the Apostles, so they try to preserve a strict uniformity. Protestant churches broke away from that lineage, so conformity would contradict their very existence.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:04 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where is W? View Post
First excuse my ignorance. I have tried to google this but I'm still confused. I was born a catholic and I still don't understand the breakdown of the protestant church

I hear there are lutherans, evangelics, baptist ,black chuches etc I see a bunch of churches in Florida that I don't even know what denomination they belong to. I hear religious radio programs that I guess are evangelic?

Are born again christians evangelics? Are they 26% of the USA population?

ARe lutherans, baptists, methodist, presbytherian, mainland protestant or are some of them evangelics?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Evangelicals are usually the "born again" Christians you run into. They tend to focus on a salvation moment, and a "personal relationship" with Christ. Baptists, non-denominational, Bible Churches, along with some Prebyterians tend to be of this type.

The mainline denominations like Lutheran, Methodist, and others usually don't call themselves Evangelical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
The Catholic Church descended directly from the Apostles, so they try to preserve a strict uniformity. Protestant churches broke away from that lineage, so conformity would contradict their very existence.
when Luther and the others pushed for reform they were kicked out. The Catholic church strayed from Biblical teaching centuries ago.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:01 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
the catholic, protastants, lutherans etc... have to some extent strayed from what the bible teaches. Many people rather have tradition and customs than have biblical teachings change their ways. Are any of the aforementioned demonimation free from the traditions of man? NO. No need to worry friends, God is still on plan A.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Maybe obn reason why there are hundreds of Christian denominations in the United States is that religion in America is like a buffet - you pick what you like and leave what you don't like behind!

Old 11-15-2012, 01:33 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,810,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wayne View Post
At least that's what the RCC what you to think!
Do you have proof some other church existed since ancient times, one that is the "true" Church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity