Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,824,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Conquer - to gain a victory over. overcome.

How is it nonsensical to believe that LOVE overcomes/conquers/becomes victorious over FEAR?
Did you disagree with:

The need to conquer, which is affirmed in that proposition, is born of fear, so an equivalent proposition would be "fear conquers fear."

If so, with which point do you disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,940,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Did you disagree with:

The need to conquer, which is affirmed in that proposition, is born of fear, so an equivalent proposition would be "fear conquers fear."

You're comparing two different concepts, in my opinion.

If you are in a dark room and someone turns on the light, the light doesn't have a "need to conquer" which you are saying is born of fear. This is what I'm talking about when I say that LOVE conquers (overcomes) FEAR. Love is the light. Fear is darkness. The light overcomes the darkness. Love overcomes Fear. Love, in itself HAS no fear.

"Perfect love casts out all fear".

What I *think* you are talking about is the idea that Fear conquers Fear. As in, a person who is afraid of heights, will use their fear to conquer their fear. The fear is the motivation that conquers itself. Is this what you are talking about?
If so, I understand what you're saying and I don't disagree with that. But I don't agree with the idea that Love has the "need to conquer". Love is merely doing what it does... displacing the darkness with light. (or as I said it "conquers" or overcomes the darkness. FEAR is darkness.)

Last edited by .sparrow.; 12-10-2012 at 12:57 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 01:13 AM

1,220 posts, read 988,273 times
Default The Truth

The first time I read "Sinners in The Hands of an Angry G-d" a great and inconsolable sadness gripped me to the point of suicide...but I knew deep within my heart that this sadness was not my own. I had to separate myself from what seemed to me a fear of the coming wrath of G-d, because I also remembered, even in the midst of this battle raging within my mind, that "our G-d is a consuming fire." Hebrews 12:29 KJV. The devil knows this, and goes about seeking whom he can destroy with him in this bizarre ritualistic suicide by thinking that one can rightly approach unto the mountain of G-d apart from Christ. Yes indeed, G-d is love...in Christ, and no where else. To assume otherwise is tantamount to suicide, which G-d evidently abhors. Follow whom you will, but G-d cannot force the choice upon you...and this is the overall message I gathered from what Jonathan Edwards was preaching. G-d blessing you all...

Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 AM

239 posts, read 193,386 times
That is not official church doctrine. Our doctrine is contained in the Bible alone! Just because one man said something one time does not make it official church doctrine!

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,331,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If you can't love perfectly, you haven't fulfilled it. That's what Jesus said.

Now again....I ask you: Have you loved perfectly?
When I love my neighbor as myself I am fulfilling the law, how hard is this to grasp Pastor Vizio ?.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Actually you are completely backwards in your assessment.

Love conquers fear.

If you were at all familiar with pcamps, you would know that his words stem from love, not fear.
Thanks sparrow.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 AM

1,220 posts, read 988,273 times
Default Through the eye of the needle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Had to change names View Post
That is not official church doctrine. Our doctrine is contained in the Bible alone! Just because one man said something one time does not make it official church doctrine!
What is "That?" Who is "our?" Who is that "one man?" Who are you directing your post to?

Old 12-10-2012, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Did you disagree with:

Who is saying theres a need to conquer?. Exposing the portion of the Jonathan Edwards book quoted in the OP for what it is,as nothing to do with fear or conquering anything.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM

88,661 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
I don't have a position on it; the Bible's a big book with lots of info, and I haven't gotten to the afterlife stuff because I have too many day-to-day issues on which to work.

You know, if you take that book seriously, it's a philosophical wrestling match to understand it. Then, you have to practice it. I have no idea how anyone has time to worry about Heaven or Hell; that's like thinking about going to a party when you have to work 100 hours.

I think you missed my point. I didn't mention the Bible at all, and I agree with the bolded!

The point was that I don't believe God is the equivalent of an unpleasant person who enjoys holding a spider over a flame, etc., which is how God is depicted in the passage posted.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:44 AM

239 posts, read 193,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
What is "That?" Who is "our?" Who is that "one man?" Who are you directing your post to?
To keep anyone from getting confused I will quote my original post and respond to each question you asked.

Quote:
That is not official church doctrine.
That would be the quote the OP gave and asked the question about which started this thread. See post #1.

Quote:
Our doctrine is contained in the Bible alone!
Our would be saved members of God's family.

Quote:
Just because one man said something one time does not make it official church doctrine!
That "one man" you ask about would be any one man. But in this case it is referring to the man who was quoted by the OP in post #1 which started this thread.

And your final question "who are you directing your post to?" would be to the OP who posted the question in Post #1 which started this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity