Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,334,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
12 If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things? 13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
This is your problem ^^^^^ . Literal and spiritual are not on the same page unless you read with the eyes of a fundamentalist. The literal kills but the spirit gives life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 12:59 PM

283 posts, read 508,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Thanks, Katzpur. I know that many disagree that evil has a place in the plan of God. God bless.

But even if if some evil were neeeded in our world in order for us to understand and appreciate the beauty and value of love and goodness, why does God allow so damn much evil?

I mean, c'mon: wouldn't The Holocaust, for exapmple, have been enough?

Or even the Spanish Inquisition?

Or, for that matter, 9/11.

Or WWII

Or Colombine.

Or the Killing Fields of the post-Vietnam War Khmer Rouge?

Josef Stalin?

The movie theater "Dark NIght Rises" massacre in Colorado?

Why so much?

The only answer is that your opinion is wrong.

The only answer to this question that makes even a modicum of sense is that God, for whatever CANNOT stop evil from occuring in this world.
Why can't He?

Two possibilites, I think. Either it's because, as many say, He gave us Free Will and then washed His hands of us while we're down here, and thus refuses to intervene.

Or, He does not exist.

Peace.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM

14,900 posts, read 17,194,775 times
Quote:
But even if if some evil were neeeded in our world in order for us to understand and appreciate the beauty and value of love and goodness, why does God allow so damn much evil?

I mean, c'mon: wouldn't The Holocaust, for exapmple, have been enough?

Or even the Spanish Inquisition?

Or, for that matter, 9/11.

Or WWII

Or Colombine.

Or the Killing Fields of the post-Vietnam War Khmer Rouge?

Josef Stalin?

The movie theater "Dark NIght Rises" massacre in Colorado?

Why so much?

The only answer is that your opinion is wrong.

The only answer to this question that makes even a modicum of sense is that God, for whatever CANNOT stop evil from occuring in this world.
Why can't He?

Two possibilites, I think. Either it's because, as many say, He gave us Free Will and then washed His hands of us while we're down here, and thus refuses to intervene.

Or, He does not exist.

Peace.
Hi, the only answer is that it is according to His own purposes. He is sovereign and we are not Take care and God bless.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,395,276 times
Evil is unnecessary, but men think otherwise.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM

Hi, if evil is not a part of the plan, then why doesn't He prevent it from happening? He has all power and He is described as love. There must be a higher purpose for it. We don't see all from beginning to end as He does. He Himself subjected the creation to futility. We are born into a broken creation and only He can heal it. God bless.

Old 01-06-2013, 03:02 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lickety_Split View Post

I believe this is close to the truth.

But intervention comes through LOVE (God) working in mankind's heart. When one human being extends love to another, this is God intervening.

Where there is love, there is God. God is love.

Non-love (some label it "evil") is on the road to obsolesence.

We are all walking this road together.

"Love your neighbor as yourself" - What would the world look like if we did just that?

Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Hi, .sparrow, does this love that works in the hearts on mankind come from God? Do you think that love originates from God or from human beings? Hasn't He intervened by sending His Son, by opening hearts, by giving us His words and His Spirit, for example. Why would He refuse to intervene? I believe that God is actively working in our hearts and in the world to bring about His purposes, but I know that many disagree. I believe that this is revealed in scriptures like Ephesians 1

7 In [g]Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He [h]lavished on [i]us. In all wisdom and insight 9He [j]made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His [k]kind intention which He purposed in Him 10 with a view to an administration [l]suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things [m]in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11 [n]also we [o]have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12 to the end that we who were the first to hope in [p]Christ would be to the praise of His glory.

There is a publication titled, " I Weep for God's Strange Plan" which I skimmed over a few years ago and can't access it now because the website is down. That's how we often feel, if we believe in the sovereignty of God and His ways, even though we do not understand and are perplexed at times. But to me, it has to do with faith and trusting in Him in the midst of it all. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 01-06-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-06-2013, 04:07 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,941,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi, .sparrow, does this love that works in the hearts on mankind come from God? Do you think that love originates from God or from human beings? Hasn't He intervened by sending His Son, by opening hearts, by giving us His words and His Spirit, for example. Why would He refuse to intervene? I believe that God is actively working in our hearts and in the world to bring about His purposes, but I know that many disagree.

Hi Shana, I think we are saying the same thing. The love that works in the hearts of mankind comes from God. God is the source of LOVE. It could ONLY come from God. God intervenes all of the time. (Where love is, God is. God is love.) He does not refuse to intervene, He IS working in our hearts.
Peace,
sparrow

Old 01-06-2013, 04:12 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,666,354 times
Everything we experience here on earth is a test....every injustice...every national disaster...famine...war...tests our faith...Never loose you faith in God...you'll be rewarded in eternity!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:14 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,411,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Hi Shana, I think we are saying the same thing. The love that works in the hearts of mankind comes from God. God is the source of LOVE. It could ONLY come from God. God intervenes all of the time. (Where love is, God is. God is love.) He does not refuse to intervene, He IS working in our hearts.
Peace,
sparrow

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity