Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2013, 02:11 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,378,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Yes. It was Peter's animal nature (Serpent) . . . the very one (survival, pain avoidance) that led him to deny Christ three times. You don't think Jesus thought Peter was actually Satan when He told him to "get thee behind me" do you?
No, Peter wasn't satan. But satan deceived Peter into thinking according to the flesh. It was satan and his work, and Jesus recognized it.

So, you're saying that Peter wanted to sift himself? Sounds a bit odd imo. However, even if he wanted to sift himself, that very desire is still part of the creation that the Creator made.

Peace,
brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 02:19 PM

63,942 posts, read 40,218,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post
No, Peter wasn't satan. But satan deceived Peter into thinking according to the flesh. It was satan and his work, and Jesus recognized it.
So, you're saying that Peter wanted to sift himself? Sounds a bit odd imo. However, even if he wanted to sift himself, that very desire is still part of the creation that the Creator made.
Peace,
brian
Our animal nature (Serpent/Satan) has its OWN independent motivations that are indiscriminate. It seeks to survive, avoid pain and seek pleasure, period. It is what motivates every one of us. Our Spirit (consciousness) is a separate source of motivation that grows and develops over time and is capable of discriminating between Good and Evil responses to our animal drives. This is why the Serpent is called the adversary to our Spirit. We have to inhibit those drives that are automatically and indiscriminately generated by the Serpent when they would produce Evil outcomes. It is not easy.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahigherway View Post

Peace,
brian
but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members

The law of sin(the lawless one) at work in our members will sift us until we get from o wretched man(where believing the sovereignty of God ministry keeps you)that I am to Thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph .

Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Our animal nature (Serpent/Satan) has its OWN independent motivations that are indiscriminate. It seeks to survive, avoid pain and seek pleasure, period. It is what motivates every one of us. Our Spirit (consciousness) is a separate source of motivation that grows and develops over time and is capable of discriminating between Good and Evil responses to our animal drives. This is why the Serpent is called the adversary to our Spirit. We have to inhibit those drives that are automatically and indiscriminately generated by the Serpent when they would produce Evil outcomes. It is not easy.
I think satan and our animal nature are not the same thing. And satan knows how to tempt our fallen nature so that we sin.

And yet, whether satan is a separate being or a part of us, he/it is part of God's creation. And as such, he/it fills an important role in man's experience. It is God who is control, not us.

Peace,
brian

Old 02-12-2013, 02:29 PM

987 posts, read 1,120,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Scarlet i am asking you this in sincerity,do you understand the principle in prayer,that when we pray we receive at that moment of request that which we have asked for ?. In other words Jesus taught us to believe that we have received the things we desire when we pray, not some time down the road, this requires faith. If it by thy will is not a prayer of faith, it is not effectual neither can it be. If we lack anywhere in our lives when there is provision for that lack, then it is not God coming up short it's us.

Your will be done as it is in heaven. There is no satan performing Gods will or purpose in heaven.
\

This is YOUR opinion PCamps, that you derive from your personal understanding. Do you understand that? Do you think that Jesus really didn't want to not go to the cross when He asked God if there be another way to not let it have to be by the cross? Yet He also prayed NOT MY WILL, but yours be done. So what did that mean. Did it mean he had no will of his own? Was that wish granted? No, it was God's will that his son be crucified, unless you don't believe scripture. I don't see that. I asked God for something once when I was a child. It was something that was seemingly impossible and I believed with all my heart and, the next morning it seemed to me that my prayer was answered. But as the day went by, I understood that I only wanted it so bad it seemed to have happened. With my childlike faith I asked something and expected something I thought would be wonderful, but in all reality it would not have been a good thing. Just because I have gained some wisdom and insight, does not mean that what I'm praying is always what God plans for me or the other person or even nation's, etc. best interest in the long run. Can YOU see the difference. I pray for something but also pray that His will be done and WHEN my will is perfectly in alignment with God's, then it will be that my prayers will be answered.

Joni Earickson, a popular writer and evangelist and advocate for the physically challenged, dived into a lake in her late teens and became paralyzed from the neck down, but regained minimal use of her hands and arms. She is now in her 60's. She writes that she probably never would have found the relationship and trust in God she developed had that accident never occurred. She wrote in one of her books that she prayed earnestly and believed that God would give her a miracle against all the medical evidence and allow her to feel again and walk. When it didn't happen she spent days flogging herself for not having enough faith. Then she understood that without that wheelchair, she would probably let'the world' take her attention from her relationship with God. Can you see that someone would beat themselves up over feeling they didn't have enough faith when they prayed? It might seem like it would be a powerful witness for God for her to be healed, and yet she has motivated and uplifted many by her perseerance under her weakness and strenght. See, a Godly prayer, would be, use me wherever and in whatever condition you deem best.

Did you see soul surfer? That girl inspired anyone, whole or handicapped to achieve possibilities. Yet without seeing the failures of many, the successes, for t his time, would not seem so joyous. This is what I understand, PCamps. That some are vessels of dishonor for a little while.

God's grace continue to sh ine upon us as we walk this valley of the shadow of death.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members

The law of sin(the lawless one) at work in our members will sift us until we get from o wretched man(where believing the sovereignty of God ministry keeps you)that I am to Thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph .
Pcamps,
I don't think the law of sin is satan. Although by the law we knew sin, it is true. But the law is not what causes death, disease and destruction. The law is what satan uses, by tempting the natural man to do what is wrong. The law cannot "protect" us. It is far, aloof, an ideal. And while the natural man can look at it and admire it, all it takes is satan's temptation to do something wrong, and the natural man, if obeyed, will fall to his trap.

With the Spirit of Christ within us, however, we don't have to fall to satan, because the fallen man is no longer the one "on his own." We have the Spirit to lead and empower us. You and I, we have it!

Blessings,
brian

Old 02-12-2013, 02:32 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:
I think satan and our animal nature are not the same thing
I agree.I believe that the struggle involves more the carnal nature. It is a part of it but what is also revealed is that the struggle involves powers in the heavenly places. This is one reason why I do believe that satan exists as a being, a ruler.

Ephesians 12:
10As to the rest, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might;
11 put on the whole armour of God, for your being able to stand against the wiles of the devil,
12 because we have not the wrestling with blood and flesh, but with the principalities, with the authorities, with the world-rulers of the darkness of this age, with the spiritual things of the evil in the heavenly places;
13 because of this take ye up the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to resist in the day of the evil, and all things having done -- to stand.

God bless and peace.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Good points, ScartlettWren.

Quote:
Joni Earickson, a popular writer and evangelist and advocate for the physically challenged, dived into a lake in her late teens and became paralyzed from the neck down, but regained minimal use of her hands and arms. She is now in her 60's. She writes that she probably never would have found the relationship and trust in God she developed had that accident never occurred. She wrote in one of her books that she prayed earnestly and believed that God would give her a miracle against all the medical evidence and allow her to feel again and walk. When it didn't happen she spent days flogging herself for not having enough faith. Then she understood that without that wheelchair, she would probably let'the world' take her attention from her relationship with God. Can you see that someone would beat themselves up over feeling they didn't have enough faith when they prayed? It might seem like it would be a powerful witness for God for her to be healed, and yet she has motivated and uplifted many by her perseerance under her weakness and strenght. See, a Godly prayer, would be, use me wherever and in whatever condition you deem best.
Thank you for sharing this. God bless and peace.

Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletWren View Post
\

This is YOUR opinion PCamps, that you derive from your personal understanding. Do you understand that? Do you think that Jesus really didn't want to not go to the cross when He asked God if there be another way to not let it have to be by the cross? Yet He also prayed NOT MY WILL, but yours be done. So what did that mean. Did it mean he had no will of his own? Was that wish granted? No, it was God's will that his son be crucified, unless you don't believe scripture. I don't see that. I asked God for something once when I was a child. It was something that was seemingly impossible and I believed with all my heart and, the next morning it seemed to me that my prayer was answered. But as the day went by, I understood that I only wanted it so bad it seemed to have happened. With my childlike faith I asked something and expected something I thought would be wonderful, but in all reality it would not have been a good thing. Just because I have gained some wisdom and insight, does not mean that what I'm praying is always what God plans for me or the other person or even nation's, etc. best interest in the long run. Can YOU see the difference. I pray for something but also pray that His will be done and WHEN my will is perfectly in alignment with God's, then it will be that my prayers will be answered.

Did you see soul surfer? That girl inspired anyone, whole or handicapped to achieve possibilities. Yet without seeing the failures of many, the successes, for t his time, would not seem so joyous. This is what I understand, PCamps. That some are vessels of dishonor for a little while.

God's grace continue to sh ine upon us as we walk this valley of the shadow of death.
Jesus did not pray if it be thy will, he said not my will, a huge difference. I happen to believe what you are saying is YOUR own opinion too, nothing wrong with that, and nothing to be offended by. What I posted I do not believe is my opinion but what Jesus taught.

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them. Mark 11:24

When we pray,we pray the will of God, how do we know the will of God ?, by praying as it is in heaven upon earth.

your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven Matt 6:10

Old 02-12-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I agree.I believe that the struggle involves more the carnal nature. It is a part of it but what is also revealed is that the struggle involves powers in the heavenly places. This is one reason why I do believe that satan exists as a being, a ruler.

Ephesians 12:
10As to the rest, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might;
11 put on the whole armour of God, for your being able to stand against the wiles of the devil,
12 because we have not the wrestling with blood and flesh, but with the principalities, with the authorities, with the world-rulers of the darkness of this age, with the spiritual things of the evil in the heavenly places;
13 because of this take ye up the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to resist in the day of the evil, and all things having done -- to stand.

God bless and peace.
Of course I would agree with you here, Shana. I also believe satan is a separate entity. Some experiences in life have convinced me of this.

However, whether it is our nature which is satan, or a separate being, there is a more important point, which is the fact that God uses satan's destructive power to our benefit and His glory.
And with this, it seems clear to me that God is moving the universe according to His Divine Will.

Apparently some Christians do not believe that God is working things willfully, intentionally-- even today-- to some planned, perfect end.
To me, this is what is probably most surprising. I realize that I thought that "all" Christians believed that God was doing things according to HIS plan, not ours. But apparently that is not the case.

Blessings,
brian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity