Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 11:42 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,022,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post

Pot meat kettle. Mirror, mirror, Bueller? Bueller?
Don’t you mean ‘meet’?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2020, 06:40 PM

3,061 posts, read 913,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Don’t you mean ‘meet’?...
Perhaps Hannibal does mean meat. The 'MEAT' of the sacrifices of the old covenant, that Hannibal accuses Christians of being pagans, because we reject that old covenant that God has done away with. The old covenant that was fulfilled by Jesus, who came with the new Covenant of God.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:01 PM

193 posts, read 53,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
Luke 10:25-28; On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Guess what answer Jesus gave to him?
Quote:
He referred him to Torah...
Quote:
He referred him to the ten commandments, and not to all the sacrificial and holy day laws, which Jesus came to fulfil.
In fact it was none of the above.

Quote:
Luke 10
25 And behold, a lawyer stood up to put him to the test, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 He said to him, “What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” 27 And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And he said to him, “You have answered correctly; do this, and you will live.”
Matthew has a similar scenario.

Quote:
Matthew 19
6 And behold, a man came up to him, saying, “Teacher, what good deed must I do to have eternal life?” 17 And he said to him, “Why do you ask me about what is good? There is only one who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.” 18 He said to him, “Which ones?” And Jesus said, “You shall not murder, You shall not commit adultery, You shall not steal, You shall not bear false witness, 19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
In Matthew, Jesus specifies certain commandments related to how we act, some from the Decalogue and one not.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:20 PM

23,138 posts, read 10,431,246 times
Quote:
Perhaps Hannibal does mean meat. The 'MEAT' of the sacrifices of the old covenant, that Hannibal accuses Christians of being pagans, because we reject that old covenant that God has done away with. The old covenant that was fulfilled by Jesus, who came with the new Covenant of God.
Dude, I just saw you almost curse Jerwade for saying what you are saying, what difference is his rejection of the religion of Messiah than yours?

There is no difference, only difference is, Jerwade is honest.

Old 05-30-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guterwitz View Post

In Matthew, Jesus specifies certain commandments related to how we act, some from the Decalogue and one not.
All of the COMMANDMENTS given, were from the 10 Commandments. Follow them and you will live, said the Lord.

Galatians 5: 14; For the whole Law is summed up in one commandment: “Love your neighbour as you love yourself.”

Do you impose the law that is written on your heart on your neighbors? Do you demand that the society around you do not thieve from you or yours, do you demand that no one lays with your spouse, do you demand that no one bears false witness against you or yours, do you demand that no one kills you or your, etc, etc, but then break the very law that you impose on others? If you do so, then you condemn yourself. You are the one who will be the judge of who you are.

Do you think that if any man sold his house and all his possessions, leaving his wife and children, homeless and without support, in order to preach the words of the Lord, that man would be perfect in the eyes of the Lord?

Peter was married, but he didn't sell his house, John the beloved disciple took Mary the mother of Jesus to live in his house after Jesus was crucified.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Where does G-d do away with the covenant and where does He say that He is bringing a new one in?...

Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:

The Ten Commandments are a part of the 613 commandments...The Ten are like headers to the rest of the 613 Mitzvot....After all, he allegedly asked him what does the LAW state...

Old 05-31-2020, 12:48 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Where does G-d do away with the covenant and where does He say that He is bringing a new one in?...
In the Christian Bible it is in Hebrews.

Hebrews 8:7-13 King James Version (KJV)

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:26 PM

193 posts, read 53,456 times
Quote:
All of the COMMANDMENTS given, were from the 10 Commandments. Follow them and you will live, said the Lord.
In Matthew 19, when the man asks what he must do, Jesus tells him to follow the commandments. The man asks which ones. One of the things Jesus states is “love your neighbor as yourself”, which is from Leviticus. Obviously, Jesus thought of this as a COMMANDMENT. The other commandments are all from the Decalogue but not all of the Decalogue was given. The ‘worship’ and the ‘covet’ commandments were omitted. Do they not count? Or is Jesus emphasizing that it is what we do in terms of our interactions with others that counts the most? One could make the argument that what Jesus said to do and not do applies to everyone regardless of any particular religious background.

Quote:
Galatians 5: 14; For the whole Law is summed up in one commandment: “Love your neighbour as you love yourself.”
In Galatians 5, Paul is warning the Galatians not to follow those interlopers who want them to follow Jewish Law. Whether this was Jewish Christians as in 2 Corinthians 11 or proselytizing Pharisees as mentioned in Matthew 23 is not clear but does not really matter. What matters is that Paul is telling the Galatians that that they are free of the Law.

Quote:
Galatians 5
13 For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”
Quote:
Do you impose the law that is written on your heart on your neighbors? Do you demand that the society around you do not thieve from you or yours, do you demand that no one lays with your spouse, do you demand that no one bears false witness against you or yours, do you demand that no one kills you or your, etc, etc, but then break the very law that you impose on others? If you do so, then you condemn yourself. You are the one who will be the judge of who you are.
In Romans, Paul says that there is a sort of natural law that everyone inherently knows, it being “written on their hearts”.

Quote:
Romans 2
14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
Quote:
Do you think that if any man sold his house and all his possessions, leaving his wife and children, homeless and without support, in order to preach the words of the Lord, that man would be perfect in the eyes of the Lord?

Following the part where Jesus tells the man what commandments are to be followed, there comes the generally misunderstood part about selling one’s possessions.

Quote:
Matthew 19
20 The young man said to him, “All these I have kept. What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come follow me.” 22 When the young man heard this he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions.
Recall that Jesus has already answered the question of what to do to gain eternal life. The young man has kept those commandments and wants to do more. Jesus suggests (‘IF you want to be perfect”) that he sell what he has, give to the poor and “come follow me”. It seems plain to me and I think to anyone who looks at the passage as a whole and not just some one-liners, that Jesus is inviting this highly moral young man to join the band of disciples that travel with Jesus on the road. Treating it as a universal requirement does not work very well. Are the poor who are the beneficiaries also to sell their possessions they now have and give to … ???

We can see this same idea of ‘following Jesus’ as going on the road with him back there in Galilee in Luke.

Quote:
Luke 14
25 Now great crowds accompanied him, and he turned and said to them, 26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. 27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple. 28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ 31 Or what king, going out to encounter another king in war, will not sit down first and deliberate whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? 32 And if not, while the other is yet a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks for terms of peace. 33 So therefore, any one of you who does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.
Jesus is discouraging people from following him. Jesus needs followers that he can trust to go off in pairs to spread the word (as in Luke 10) and not go home to harvest the crops or visit the folks. If you are not willing to give up your former life, family, possessions, everything, don’t follow Jesus in his travels.

Quote:
Peter was married, but he didn't sell his house, John the beloved disciple took Mary the mother of Jesus to live in his house after Jesus was crucified.
In Matthew 19:27 Peter says to Jesus “we have left everything and followed you.” In Matthew 19:29 Jesus replies “everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.” What the resolution between what Peter said here and what is said elsewhere might be, I do not know but neither am I terribly worried about it.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:02 PM

Quote:
In Matthew 19, when the man asks what he must do, Jesus tells him to follow the commandments. The man asks which ones. One of the things Jesus states is “love your neighbor as yourself”, which is from Leviticus. Obviously, Jesus thought of this as a COMMANDMENT. The other commandments are all from the Decalogue but not all of the Decalogue was given. The ‘worship’ and the ‘covet’ commandments were omitted. Do they not count? Or is Jesus emphasizing that it is what we do in terms of our interactions with others that counts the most? One could make the argument that what Jesus said to do and not do applies to everyone regardless of any particular religious background.

In Galatians 5, Paul is warning the Galatians not to follow those interlopers who want them to follow Jewish Law. Whether this was Jewish Christians as in 2 Corinthians 11 or proselytizing Pharisees as mentioned in Matthew 23 is not clear but does not really matter. What matters is that Paul is telling the Galatians that that they are free of the Law.

In Romans, Paul says that there is a sort of natural law that everyone inherently knows, it being “written on their hearts”.

Following the part where Jesus tells the man what commandments are to be followed, there comes the generally misunderstood part about selling one’s possessions.

Recall that Jesus has already answered the question of what to do to gain eternal life. The young man has kept those commandments and wants to do more. Jesus suggests (‘IF you want to be perfect”) that he sell what he has, give to the poor and “come follow me”. It seems plain to me and I think to anyone who looks at the passage as a whole and not just some one-liners, that Jesus is inviting this highly moral young man to join the band of disciples that travel with Jesus on the road. Treating it as a universal requirement does not work very well. Are the poor who are the beneficiaries also to sell their possessions they now have and give to … ???

We can see this same idea of ‘following Jesus’ as going on the road with him back there in Galilee in Luke.

Jesus is discouraging people from following him. Jesus needs followers that he can trust to go off in pairs to spread the word (as in Luke 10) and not go home to harvest the crops or visit the folks. If you are not willing to give up your former life, family, possessions, everything, don’t follow Jesus in his travels.

In Matthew 19:27 Peter says to Jesus “we have left everything and followed you.” In Matthew 19:29 Jesus replies “everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.” What the resolution between what Peter said here and what is said elsewhere might be, I do not know but neither am I terribly worried about it.
All this is answered in my post #148 written in the thread 'Where did the Gospel of John get its stories?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity