Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 01:22 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,271,106 times

Advertisements

I wondered about this today... I was talking to someone about where we were at in our Christian lives, and I wondered..

Where will I be at in 10 years? What is my goal? Will I have matured in my Christian life? Will it be at the same rate I matured in the last 10 years? For myself, I hope it will be more than that.. Or will I simply be at the same place spiritually that I am now?

Someone mentioned one time that if you are not going forward in your Christian life, you're going back. It's like a hill.. as soon as you slip into neutral, gravity takes over... I think I agree with that.. God is not satisfied for us to just sit there. He wants to lead us "into deeper water"...

Am I following? Will I be able to look back in 10, 20, or 30 years, and say, God has led me.. He is as near as He ever has been.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 01:26 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
God is not satisfied for us to just sit there. He wants to lead us "into deeper water"
Good analogy...I like the "deep water" wording.

Quote:
Am I following? Will I be able to look back in 10, 20, or 30 years, and say, God has led me.. He is as near as He ever has been.....
This is my prayer. I know we can't predict or assume what the future holds. But everyday, my prayer is: "Jesus, I'm with you through thick and thin. You can't lose me. I'm not going to go anywhere. You are my source."

If I keep praying this and living it, then in 10 years, I should be in much deeper water. Hopefully I won't let myself get in the way of it.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,265,341 times
Interesting thread, cg. Well, as ya'll know, kaykay is old. In some ways, I feel like I have a lot more wisdom than I had 20 years or so ago. But in other ways, the closer I get to the goal, the further away I think I am. Of course, maybe that's part of it too--when you realize how little you really do know!

We sing a song in church about getting into "deeper water" as Ezekiel 49 ? I think talks about.
I liked your post, dojilynn. I liked your prayer that you pray too.

Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,743,040 times
in 30 years...i hope to be retired...

Old 10-18-2007, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Of course, maybe that's part of it too--when you realize how little you really do know!
I think it really is.. the closer we get to God, the more we see His goodness and our unworthiness, not? And dojilynn, yes, if we keep this desire in our hearts, we will grow as God leads..

Old 10-18-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I think it really is.. the closer we get to God, the more we see His goodness and our unworthiness, not? And dojilynn, yes, if we keep this desire in our hearts, we will grow as God leads..
Sometimes I think I'm just confused! I know that people on this forum would probably see me as someone who see things pretty "black and white." I hope this isn't too great a shock to anyone, but I would say 10 or 15 years ago, I was much more sure, much more dogmatic than I am about things now! I'm a lot more "shades of grey" than I used to be. (Not about basic doctrine but a lot of lesser things.)

Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,503,797 times
Well at my age. In 10 years I may be "home" with the Lord.. To claim I am ready would be to claim that I have reached perfection. I daily try to gain more faith and wisdom of what the Lord expects of me. I try constantly to work on my many shortcomings, and I talk about them daily in prayer...I like the "deep water" analogy. I believe I have reached the deep water and am swimming good enough to reach the beautiful shore that is just over the horizon..

Old 10-18-2007, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Sometimes I think I'm just confused! I know that people on this forum would probably see me as someone who see things pretty "black and white." I hope this isn't too great a shock to anyone, but I would say 10 or 15 years ago, I was much more sure, much more dogmatic than I am about things now! I'm a lot more "shades of grey" than I used to be. (Not about basic doctrine but a lot of lesser things.)
Kinda like before someone has children... they know exactly what the parents are doing wrong. Then they have one, and just when they have it all down pat, they have another and that throws everything out the window! Experience gives us different viewpoints..

Old 10-18-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Kinda like before someone has children... they know exactly what the parents are doing wrong. Then they have one, and just when they have it all down pat, they have another and that throws everything out the window! Experience gives us different viewpoints..
ROTFL, Yeah, I was like that too before our son! "If I had kids, I would never...." Yeah, well, we'll discuss it when you do have kids!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
ROTFL, Yeah, I was like that too before our son! "If I had kids, I would never...." Yeah, well, we'll discuss it when you do have kids!
Yeah, well, (as I'm sure you know) we do have two, and they have VERY different personalities.. What worked for the first does not necessarily work for the second!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity