Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:26 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times

Advertisements

This is a spin off from another thread topic
I'm interested in your thoughts on a person with a depraved mind versus a
reprobate mind; as it relates to Bible scriptures only :
I will start the discussions off with Romans 1:28-32: How utterly sinful can a man/woman get?
When does Gos turn you over to a reprobate mind? and how does this tie in
with "turning such a one over to satan for the destruction of his flesh"

Quote:
BBB Romans 1:28-32
28 When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. 29 Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. 30 They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. 31 They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. 32 They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2007, 10:48 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
I had to look up this passage on Biblegateway. I read through Romans 1 and into the second chapter. (This doesn't really answer your question, but it is regarding this passage of scripture.)

After looking at it, I don't understand when the actual point in time happens that God gives someone over to their sin, but there does appear to be a difference in those who have been given over and those who are not. God gives the ones over to their sin who know the truth and refuse to accept it. Their main goal seems to be living contrary to God's plan. When you read the beginning of chapter 2, Paul tells the Romans that they should not be found judging these people because they are sometimes guilty of the same sins that were previously listed. The difference seems to be that these people sometimes slip and fail, but their ultimate goal is to bring God glory, so they are not living entirely against God, they're just human.

Forgive my ramblings, I don't know if anyone will get any sense out of them. I'm still pondering the meanings of this chapter myself. If I get any more clarity today, I'll put it on here.

Thank you for the thought provoking thread, yhwh!

Old 10-19-2007, 10:56 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
I will start the discussions off with Romans 1:28-32: How utterly sinful can a man/woman get?
I don't think we know at what point God "turns someone over to a reprobate mind."

I think it differs from the passage where the apostle Paul speaks of "turning one over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh that his soul might be saved..." because it seems that Paul is referring to a believer that is about to be "turned over" for judgment in order to wake him up spiritually and cause him to repent in order not to be ultimately lost (in eternity.) My take anyway.

Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 AM

2,886 posts, read 8,280,229 times
Thanks for your input dojilynn and kaykay;
I have to look at this a little deeper, I'm trying to distinguish the difference in all three instances.
I'll get back to this thread as soon as I settled down, we have a recording session today for our new CD. Talk to you all later, if you find something out about reprobate please share

Old 10-20-2007, 08:30 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,270,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't think we know at what point God "turns someone over to a reprobate mind."

I think it differs from the passage where the apostle Paul speaks of "turning one over to Satan for the destruction of his flesh that his soul might be saved..." because it seems that Paul is referring to a believer that is about to be "turned over" for judgment in order to wake him up spiritually and cause him to repent in order not to be ultimately lost (in eternity.) My take anyway.
I agree, kaykay.

Some verses before the ones mentioned in the OP:
Romans 1:21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Many people today "know" God, yet they do not really acknowledge Him for what He is. "God loves everyone just like they are, is so kind He will never send anyone to hell, looks at our good deeds which will take care of our few bad ones," etc. They are denying that God is holy, pure, true and just. "Neither were thankful"- they do not give God the glory and reverence He deserves..He's just a remote being with the name God.. and in their vain imagination, Satan darkens their foolish heart.
22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Much knowledge, philosophy, religious theology is sought after, but the basic fundamental truths are ignored. How foolish! (and scary)
23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
I don't know exactly what this verse means, but one take on it: Mankind treats themselves as gods. Mine, mine, mine! Pampering, luxurious lifestyles, pursuit of selfish interest. I believe we need to live responsibly toward the environment, but but "saving the environment, living green" etc. has become a religion to many, worshipping this temporal world and neglecting their eternal souls.
24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Again, this is so real today.. truths of God which are "hard on the flesh" are twisted around deceptively, making "God's will" subject to man's will. Man's selfish will is being served in many churches today, under the guise of "Christianity".. People are nurturing a "reprobate mind."..God finally gives them over to it (quits convicting them) because they actually WANT to believe a lie! Deception is RAMPANT!!!

Last edited by cg81; 10-20-2007 at 08:39 AM..

Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhwhshalomjr View Post
It sounds like depraved and rebrobate have the same meaning in describing the mind as morally bad and corrupt, unprincipled. This partcular scripture is implying that their rejection of God was not unconscious. They refused to recognize Him instead of increasing their knowledge of Him. As a consequence of their determination to forget God He left them to a state of mind that is evil to do things which are not fitting, in other words which God could not approve of.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 31,857 times
I've been reading Romans 1. I'm reading Romans 1:26-28 which I think states the circumstances under which God gives someone over to a reprobate mind. I'd like someone's opinion on these scriptures.
Also, I'm trying to find what other behavior constitutes a reprobate mind. I'd appreciate any information on the location of scriptures that are about a reprobate mind.
Thank you

Old 11-02-2008, 06:33 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Marie View Post
I've been reading Romans 1. I'm reading Romans 1:26-28 which I think states the circumstances under which God gives someone over to a reprobate mind. I'd like someone's opinion on these scriptures.
Also, I'm trying to find what other behavior constitutes a reprobate mind. I'd appreciate any information on the location of scriptures that are about a reprobate mind.
Thank you
To be given over to "reprobate" or a mind subject to a failed testing is something we as "carnal" Christians go through every day, until we are INTO the Holiest of Holies.

It is temptations, subject to our own human limitations, and while we can choose the right Way, according to the mandates of God, we at other times, fall. This is our journey, for those on it. It runs until we are called out, approved, purified and chosen for a Higher Purpose.

This is why Paul says "examine yourselves", and that word is best used as "tempt yourselves", in this verse. It is the exact same word as tempt.

KJV
2nd Cor 13:5
Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?
NASB
Test yourselves if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you--unless indeed you fail the test?

See Paul was above this, as he was called out. Chosen. He had passed his testing as we see in the very next verse, but he is showing us on how to come INTO the Word, as he is. He wants us to see this In ourselves, unless we fail this test. Is Jesus in us, and we do pass the test? Or not?

2nd Cor 13:6-7
But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test.
Now we pray to God that you do no wrong; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right, even though we may appear unapproved.

Here Paul is saying that it isn't "monkey see, monkey do". There is no blueprint that one can take, as each of us are individuals. We might see another do something, that for us isn't right. That is why appearances can be deceiving. That is why we are to not quickly judge. God's ways, are Higher than ours. See the opposite of that word, "reprobate", or a failed testing is "approved". Here is such an example of it's use, in Romans 14:22

The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

See how the opposite is your testing, although failed now, but none the less, is ongoing to bring you into what Paul describes as our own personal journeys into the Truth?

The verses prior to that one, I'll run in a row, ending with that verse above, and then you can see it. I'll highlight that word showing you where to look.

Therefore do not let what is for you a good thing be spoken of as evil; for the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. For he who in this {way} serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men. So then we pursue the things which make for peace and the building up of one another. Do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food. All things indeed are clean, but they are evil for the man who eats and gives offense. It is good not to eat meat or to drink wine, or {to do anything} by which your brother stumbles. The faith which you have, have as your own conviction before God. Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. But he who doubts is condemned if he eats, because {his eating is} not from faith; and whatever is not from faith is sin.

Yes, Paul is talking about food, and such, but this applies to everything. Whatever is NOT from faith, is sin. The better question would be:
Do you think a "reprobate" mind under the law, or above it?

Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 31,857 times
Thanks for answering me. I don't really know much about the reprobate mind
I had someone mention the Romans scripture. I plan to read Corinthians.
I don't think that I should make any more comments about the subject without research. But, I'll take a guess. A reprobate mind does not care about the law ? Am I understanding the word correctly ?
Thanks again

Old 11-02-2008, 07:24 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,152,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie Marie View Post
Thanks for answering me. I don't really know much about the reprobate mind
I had someone mention the Romans scripture. I plan to read Corinthians.
I don't think that I should make any more comments about the subject without research. But, I'll take a guess. A reprobate mind does not care about the law ? Am I understanding the word correctly ?
Thanks again
It is more of a person who is not indwelt with Jesus Christ, yet. In other words, carnal in thought, and deeds. Not living in and through the Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity