Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:53 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,841,188 times

Advertisements

This scripture has always perplexed me. Is Jesus speaking of literal swords ... and if so, what is the message to the disciples? ... or, is He speaking about figurative swords (eg; 'Sword of the Word')... or something else?? What is this segment of scripture about?

Luke 22:35-38 (ASV) - 35 And he said unto them, When I sent you forth without purse, and wallet, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, Nothing. 36 And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword. 37 For I say unto you, that this which is written must be fulfilled in me, And he was reckoned with transgressors: for that which concerneth me hath fulfilment. 38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

What are your thoughts about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,024,985 times
The prophecy for the swords is from Isaiah 53: 12.......``There fore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he will divide the spoil with the strong, because he has poured out his soul to death , and he was numbered with the transgressors, and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgrassors....``.... ...... As Jesus tell his disciple to buy a two sword is a carnal act , to be numbered with the transgressors to be like them in heart to for passion for the intercession to God ...... then the part divide him a portion with the great and he will divide the spoil with the strong , because he poured out his soul to death ...means the God promises to bless Jesus to come with a portion of God power of creation and authority of heaven and the earth ........ In Ezekiel 21:14...`Let the sword be doubled the third time , the sword for the slain , as God Prophesied for the Prince of Israel who lost their kingdom to the King of Babylon ......as God prophesied about two swords here ..... Then in John 18:11 ...Peter who had the sword that Jesus told him to get used the sword on the assailant who came to arrest Jesus , and Jesus rebuked Peter....As God can defend Himself , He don`t need the sword to defend heaven

Last edited by hljc; 01-29-2013 at 03:46 PM..

Old 01-29-2013, 03:52 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
This scripture has always perplexed me. Is Jesus speaking of literal swords ... and if so, what is the message to the disciples? ... or, is He speaking about figurative swords (eg; 'Sword of the Word')... or something else?? What is this segment of scripture about?

Luke 22:35-38 (ASV) - 35 And he said unto them, When I sent you forth without purse, and wallet, and shoes, lacked ye anything? And they said, Nothing. 36 And he said unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise a wallet; and he that hath none, let him sell his cloak, and buy a sword. 37 For I say unto you, that this which is written must be fulfilled in me, And he was reckoned with transgressors: for that which concerneth me hath fulfilment. 38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.

What are your thoughts about this?
He was saying they have a right to self-defense.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:33 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,018 times
I think this is a pretty good article about the Two Swords:

Two Swords IS Enough! (Luke 22:38) «

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He was saying they have a right to self-defense.
... possibly (?), but, then, why did he then conclude that two swords among eleven disciples was sufficient?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The prophecy for the swords is from Isaiah 53: 12.......``There fore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he will divide the spoil with the strong, because he has poured out his soul to death , and he was numbered with the transgressors, and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgrassors....``.... ...... As Jesus tell his disciple to buy a two sword is a carnal act , to be numbered with the transgressors to be like them in heart to for passion for the intercession to God ...... then the part divide him a portion with the great and he will divide the spoil with the strong , because he poured out his soul to death ...means the God promises to bless Jesus to come with a portion of God power of creation and authority of heaven and the earth ........ In Ezekiel 21:14...`Let the sword be doubled the third time , the sword for the slain , as God Prophesied for the Prince of Israel who lost their kingdom to the King of Babylon ......as God prophesied about two swords here ..... Then in John 18:11 ...Peter who had the sword that Jesus told him to get used the sword on the assailant who came to arrest Jesus , and Jesus rebuked Peter....As God can defend Himself , He don`t need the sword to defend heaven
Several of your observations are true, but, that still doesn't explain (at least in English) Why Jesus 'commanded' the disciples to sell their cloaks and buy swords ... and later declare that two swords were enough. -- Maybe I'm just not following -- Can you clarify?

Old 01-30-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
I think this is a pretty good article about the Two Swords:

Two Swords IS Enough! (Luke 22:38) «
Seems like a well-written article. The one aspect I had wondered about and that this writer alluded to is the possibility that Jesus was telling them to "go buy swords" in a tongue-and-cheek manner, since after Peter cut off Malchus' ear, Jesus reminded them he could call down twelve legions of angels (eg; worldly swords were ineffective in bringing about God's kingdom).

Then, perhaps later, when they brought him two actual swords, He was almost speaking in exasperation when he said, "that's enough" ... or "enough already" (eg; God's kingdom is not about swords). ???

Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Jesus would have been cool with the Second Amendment.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
... possibly (?), but, then, why did he then conclude that two swords among eleven disciples was sufficient?
It's self-defense. Not to raise an army.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 PM

21,151 posts, read 19,736,448 times
In order to be considered "transgressors", the apostles needed some means of showing they were hostile citizens. Two swords would be enough to prove this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity