Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 11:04 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,701,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you Jewish?
Nope. So you're insinuating that the Bible god's commandment don't pertain to Gentiles. So much for the Ten Commandments as well then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Nope. So you're insinuating that the Bible god's commandment don't pertain to Gentiles. So much for the Ten Commandments as well then.
That's correct. Jesus fulfilled the Law.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:53 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,153,362 times
Jesus and Paul taught from the entire Toarh and the prophets, not just 10 commandments. The commands against sexual relations dont even start until Leviticus. There is much more to the bible than the 10 commandments.

When Jesus said Love God with all you mind soul and strength and to Love one another and all the law and the phropets hang on these 2 commands, he is still pulling from the Torah 2 commands that were not even in the 10 commandments.

You could live by the 10 commandments and still never receive eternal life. If you follow all the commands in the NT, you will pretty much be guaranteed eternal life, but at the same time need to understand the OT in which the commands are being pulled from and expanded and explained in better detail.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13

Leviticus 19:18

Old 02-08-2013, 12:05 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,701,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
That's correct. Jesus fulfilled the Law.
A learned, mature Christian would understand that "the law" the Jesus character was referencing was the law about the requirement of a blood sacrifice for the atonement for sin.

Matthew 5:18
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Heaven and Earth have NOT passed away, so it would seem that the law is still the same.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:32 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Then, prove it without the doctrines of other men.
I've got the Bible. But I'm guessing your aren't willing to accept it?

Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,153,362 times
Quote:
A learned, mature Christian would understand that "the law" the Jesus character was referencing was the law about the requirement of a blood sacrifice for the atonement for sin.

18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Heaven and Earth have NOT passed away, so it would seem that the law is still the same.

If he didnt fulfill the entire law, there are ALOT of commands Christians are breaking daily then from Dietary Laws, Feast Days, New Moon festivals and many more commands outside of the sacrificial system.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:13 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,821,585 times
Quote:

You obviously do not understand the meaning of "fulfilled", in this context.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM

473 posts, read 823,286 times
Matthew 5:17-19--Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18--For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19--Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
The third, fourth,sixth, seventh, eighth, ninth and tenth commandments can be found in Matthew 5:21-34--The first is Matthew 6:33, 15:4 is the fifth.Does He REALLY need to say the phrase TEN COMMANDMENTS?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,407,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've got the Bible. But I'm guessing your aren't willing to accept it?
[It] is a book of parables, metaphors or figures of speech and examples that allow for interpretation; not of a private nature:

"Belonging to only one group or that of another, who call themselves Christian."

It's a book, which is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, every individual.

The Church Pastor says: I will give it all to you, if you will kneel down and worship me.
Jesus said, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'"

An error that appears to justify a particular sect of people, but not the whole of humanity is still an error.

"A misunderstanding of men, adding to, or taking away from the individual thought process."

Just curious, have you ever had an original thought of your own; not predicated on the perceptions of others?

Old 02-08-2013, 01:45 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,223,529 times
The Bible wasn't "doctrines of men". It is God-breathed.

Having said that, you are hardly giving me an original thought. Everything you're saying has been said before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity