Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 05:18 PM

28,117 posts, read 30,036,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
But if others do not believe that, it doesn't bother me in the least nor would I hurl insults at anyone holding a different view on the matter.
Well, I'm with you on that. Some are going to end up being right and some are going to end up being wrong, but none of us will know for sure until the time comes. We can only go with what the spirit testifies to us in determining what to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 05:57 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,212,127 times
Quote:
So, do you believe that a dead spirit returns to God? Can you think of any reason at all that God would want the dead spirits of men and women after they died? It would make some sense if the spirit continued to be alive after it had left the body, but if it's dead, what would the point be?
Hi Katzpur, I don't believe that I said that the spirit was dead. I said that I believe when the body dies, the soul (the person) dies. I believe that we are souls and when we arise from the dead, we rise as the same person or soul. The spirit returns to God.

God bless and peace.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
You repeated that for the third time, but I don't think you read what other people write.

God bless and peace
HI Finn, I read it but I don't know if you read what I posted Jesus descends from heaven and the dead in Christ rise first. Jesus is the only person who is immortal, which means that no one is living eternally in heaven with Him now. We obtain immortality when Jesus raises us from the dead.

1 Timothy 6:

13 I charge thee, before God, who is making all things alive, and of Christ Jesus, who did testify before Pontius Pilate the right profession,
14 that thou keep the command unspotted, unblameable, till the manifestation of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 which in His own times He shall shew -- the blessed and only potentate, the King of the kings and Lord of the lords,
16 who only is having immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable, whom no one of men did see, nor is able to see, to whom [is] honour and might age-during! Amen. (YLT)

Jesus, who was raised from the dead never to die again, is the only person who has immortality now. All others are given immortality upon the resurrection according to the scriptures.

John 5: 28 Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29 and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

Those who are in the tombs are in the tombs and they will hear His voice and come forth.

God bless and peace.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 02-07-2013 at 07:21 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Having said that, I am persuaded that we will go to sleep when we die and await the resurrection. But if others do not believe that, it doesn't bother me in the least nor would I hurl insults at anyone holding a different view on the matter

HI Heartsong, I don't believe that we should hurl insults at anyone or put anyone down for having a different belief on this, either. That is not what it is about. I think that this is a good discussion and it is good to see why we believe what we do, but in no way, should we insult anyone for having a different belief or view on this. God bless and peace.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:05 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,029,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You repeated that for the third time, but I don't think you read what other people write.

God bless and peace
Finn,

Can you communicate without accusing people? Or at least try.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM

28,117 posts, read 30,036,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
Hi Katzpur, I don't believe that I said that the spirit was dead. I said that I believe when the body dies, the soul (the person) dies. I believe that we are souls and when we arise from the dead, we rise as the same person or soul. The spirit returns to God.
Sorry, Shana. I guess I misunderstood. (I think part of the problem is that some posters are using the terms "soul" and "spirit" interchangeably. And in some verses, the Bible appears to be using the words interchangeably.) So the person (the soul) dies but the spirit returns to God. And do you see the spirit as having some sort of awareness when it's not in the body? Also, do you believe that just some spirits return to God or that all spirits return to God? (I'm trying to ask if you believe anybody goes directly to Hell.)

Old 02-08-2013, 06:04 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
HI Finn, I read it but I don't know if you read what I posted Jesus descends from heaven and the dead in Christ rise first. Jesus is the only person who is immortal, which means that no one is living eternally in heaven with Him now. We obtain immortality when Jesus raises us from the dead.
No. You are ignoring this part: "God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus"

How can He bring them with Him, if there were not with Him?

You are talking about the resurrection of the bodies, but you pay no attention to the fact that the soul/spirit is with the Lord. The bodies will rise, and be glorified and given an immortal form, and they will be reunited with the soul/spirit. At that time they will become immortal body and spirit.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:08 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Finn, Can you communicate without accusing people? Or at least try.
Can you? Try.

PS I haven't accused anyone of anything, so your stab is comple nonsense, and to be honest with you I wonder why you feel the need to always make comments about other posters, and not about the topic. Knock it off!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kids in america_ View Post
Dust
I agree.
He was dust before he was formed...from the time that he was formed to the time just before HaShem breathed life into his nostrils, what was he?...

Old 02-08-2013, 07:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Katzpur, while Paradise is now located in the third heaven as Paul stated
Paul never said that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity