Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:39 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,964,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
OK.....it is clear to me.

The parts of the Bible that conflict with UR theology are "incorrectly translated".

It is really sad that some must change the Word of God to fit one's theology.
Mr5150, why do you keep attributing every disagreement I have with a translation to UR theology?

I could attribute every disagreement you have with me to Satan worship but that would not be right to do so. Get it?

This has nothing to do with UR theology. What God actually said should be important to everyone of any different belief, don't you think?

Other eminent translators did not translate aion nor aionion as eternal and they did not believe in UR theology. So please quit with the baseless accusations. It makes you look, well, immature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:46 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,247,273 times
Eusebius what verses do you believe it states God is eternal?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Eusebius what verses do you believe it states God is eternal?
To date I have not found any.

If you have found one, please show me. If it is from the O.T. and the word is based on Olam or Aion in the Septuagint, don't bother.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Are you asking: "If God is everlasting, why didn't all people know about Him since the beginning of time?"?
That's a good point. I guess he was basically apathetic about the whole situation until about 2000 years ago.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:18 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
It is really sad that some must change the Word of God to fit one's theology.
What did you expect, when it was translated from a set language into one that is ever changing or revolving?

"A swinging or sliding barrier that has closed the entrance of the Kingdom of Heaven for the vast majority."

How you define something, gives it all the meaning it has for you; but that doesn't make it correct.
Just research the English language over the last four hundred years, that should tell you a few things.

If you have a mind to comprehend.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mr5150, why do you keep attributing every disagreement I have with a translation to UR theology?
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were the guy who is a Universalist, who calls incorrect, any rendering of certain Greek phrases which counter UR theology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What did you expect, when it was translated from a set language into one that is ever changing or revolving?

"A swinging or sliding barrier that has closed the entrance of the Kingdom of Heaven for the vast majority."

How you define something, gives it all the meaning it has for you; but that doesn't make it correct.
Just research the English language over the last four hundred years, that should tell you a few things.

If you have a mind to comprehend.
When I see 30 (so to speak) well regarded translations that all render a particular word (in context) as Eternal I tend to say OK, must be so. When I see two or three obscure or lesser known translations render eternal as age or eon, I question why the translator did that.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
To date I have not found any.

If you have found one, please show me. If it is from the O.T. and the word is based on Olam or Aion in the Septuagint, don't bother.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:38 PM

6,657 posts, read 8,127,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Follower Of X View Post
Lets not beat around the bush here...

Is God eternal or not?
Romans 16:26
yet manifested now and through prophetic scriptures, according to the injunction of the eonian God being made known to all nations for faith-obedience

Romans 16:26 is not saying God is eternal, it is saying He is eonian (coming from the Greek word aionion or aionios).
Just because God is called eonian does not mean He is not eternal.

God is also said to be immortal. Being immortal means to live forever, but that is not what eonian means.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Romans 16:26
yet manifested now and through prophetic scriptures, according to the injunction of the eonian God being made known to all nations for faith-obedience

Romans 16:26 is not saying God is eternal, it is saying He is eonian (coming from the Greek word aionion or aionios).
Just because God is called eonian does not mean He is not eternal.

God is also said to be immortal. Being immortal means to live forever, but that is not what eonian means.
So i'll ask you the same question... where in the bible does it say God is eternal?

Old 02-08-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Quote:
Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were the guy who is a Universalist, who calls incorrect, any rendering of certain Greek phrases which counter UR theology

I'm not a Universalist. I am a believer in Christ who happens to also actually believe 1 Timothy 2:4-6 at face value. I realize that is rather novel to actually believe God, but, well, someone has to believe Him.

But really dear Mr5151, if I were Baptist and believed like you, would you accuse me of trying to further my theology if I disagreed with how a word such as aion and aionion was translated?

The OP asked if Romans 16:26 proved if God is eternal. I am allowed to answer that question without someone accusing me of trying to further UR theology, am I not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity