Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 09:53 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,435,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I am aware of the origins of the English word 'hell'.

Neither Hades or the lake of fire are the common grave of all mankind.
Hades is the common grave of humanity, unless of course you believe in, or cherish the fables of men.
The Lake of Fire is a 'safe harbor' where men will not be tossed, back and forth between every wind of doctrine.

"Hell is the Lake of Fire, created by men to frighten little children."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,593,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Hades is the common grave of humanity, unless of course you believe in, or cherish the fables of men.
The Lake of Fire is a 'safe harbor' where men will not be tossed, back and forth between every wind of doctrine.

Jesus made it clear that the soul survives the death of the body in Matthew 10:28. The soul which survives the death of the body does not go into the grave with the body. Prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ, all believers went to that part of Hades known as 'Paradise' or 'Abraham's Bosom'. Jesus said to the criminal who asked Him to remember him, Luke 23:43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

The grave is not Paradise. Paradise is not the grave.

The lake of fire (the everlasting fire) is a place which was prepared for the devil and his angels as Jesus stated in Matthew 25:41, but to which the unrighteous will also be consigned. And where like the beast and the false prophet (Revelation 20:10) they will be tormented forever (Revelation 14:10).

I believe everything that Jesus said. Not just the feel good things.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Jesus made it clear that the soul survives the death of the body in Matthew 10:28. The soul which survives the death of the body does not go into the grave with the body. Prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ, all believers went to that part of Hades known as 'Paradise' or 'Abraham's Bosom'. Jesus said to the criminal who asked Him to remember him, Luke 23:43 And He said to him, "Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise."

The grave is not Paradise. Paradise is not the grave.

The lake of fire (the everlasting fire) is a place which was prepared for the devil and his angels as Jesus stated in Matthew 25:41, but to which the unrighteous will also be consigned. And where like the beast and the false prophet (Revelation 20:10) they will be tormented forever (Revelation 14:10).

I believe everything that Jesus said. Not just the feel good things.
And He said to him. 'Truly, I say to you today; you shall be with Me in Paradise.'

Although you believe in the doctrine of: Surly, you will not die!
Ask yourself this question: Did the thief die, along with Jesus himself?

If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.

"Fires do not last forever, but the love of God cannot be quenched."

Old 03-02-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
And He said to him. 'Truly, I say to you today; you shall be with Me in Paradise.'

Although you believe in the doctrine of: Surly, you will not die!
Ask yourself this question: Did the thief die, along with Jesus himself?

If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised.

"Fires do not last forever, but the love of God cannot be quenched."
There is no punctuation in the Greek. As Jesus showed in Matthew 10:28 the soul survives the death of the body. The soul therefore goes somewhere when the body dies. Prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ, believers went to Paradise which at that time was located in Hades. Both Jesus and the criminal went to Paradise at the point of physical death.

'Surely you will not die' was the lie of Satan to the woman in the garden (Genesis 3:4) and referred to spiritual death.

As for the subject of death and its various categories, I have a thread on it. >>> //www.city-data.com/forum/chris...ies-death.html

Old 03-02-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
There is no punctuation in the Greek.
Truly I say to you today you shall be with Me in Paradise

It works for me, what about you?

Quote:
As Jesus showed in Matthew 10:28 the soul survives the death of the body. The soul therefore goes somewhere when the body dies. Prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ, believers went to Paradise which at that time was located in Hades. Both Jesus and the criminal went to Paradise at the point of physical death.
All that is necessary to destroy both (body and soul) would be to eliminate the Resurrection of the person.
In other words, you would cease to exist, having no life.

Quote:
'Surely you will not die' was the lie of Satan to the woman in the garden (Genesis 3:4) and referred to spiritual death.
If you say so, it must be true. Of course, you might be Spiritually dead.
Because you exemplify that 'Surly, you will not die.'
Quote:
As for the subject of death and its various categories, I have a thread on it.
I have read it, but I am not interested in yours or the perceptions of others whom you idolize.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Truly I say to you today you shall be with Me in Paradise

It works for me, what about you?

All that is necessary to destroy both (body and soul) would be to eliminate the Resurrection of the person.
In other words, you would cease to exist, having no life.

The mention of the destruction of both body and soul in the last half of Matthew 10:28 refers to the unbeliever being consigned to the lake of fire after having been resurrected after the end of the Millennium. Resurrection refers to the body. Not the soul. The word 'destruction' is a translation of the Greek word 'Apollumi' and refers not to a cessation of existence, but to a state of ruination and uselessness.

Again, the first half of Matthew 10:28 shows that the soul survives the death of the body. It must therefore go somewhere after the body dies.

Matthew 10:28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell (Gehenna).

Quote:
Quote:
If you say so, it must be true. Of course, you might be Spiritually dead.
The Bible distinquishes between spiritual death and physical death.

Ephesians 2:1 And you were dead in your trespasses and sins,

The death referred to in Ephesians 2:1 is spiritual death. Paul is speaking to believers who are physically alive, but were once spiritually dead. Unsaved people are very much alive physically but are spiritually dead which means they have no relationship with God and are therefore separated from God.

The moment a person trusts in Christ for eternal life he passes from spiritual death to eternal life - life in relationship with God.

Quote:
Because you exemplify that 'Surly, you will not die.'
I have read it, but I am not interested in yours or the perceptions of others whom you idolize.
Then continue on as you are. Your claims that I idolize others are false.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM

I am not an advocate of separation, that exists only in the minds of certain men.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM

10,093 posts, read 5,009,350 times
Quote:
There is no punctuation in the Greek. As Jesus showed in Matthew 10:28 the soul survives the death of the body. The soul therefore goes somewhere when the body dies. Prior to the resurrection and ascension of Christ, believers went to Paradise which at that time was located in Hades. Both Jesus and the criminal went to Paradise at the point of physical death.
If Eve only died a spiritual death she would still be alive today.

Isn't Matthew [ 10 v 28 B ] clear that the soul can be destroyed in hell [ Gehenna ] ?
Just as John [ 3 v 16 ] is clear that one can perish [ be destroyed ] ?

Jesus went to hell the day he died. Hell [Hebrew sheol] is the common grave of mankind Not paradise.

Jesus made the promise on the day he died 'truly I tell you today [,] you will be [future tense] with me in paradise.

All who died before Jesus died [ John 3 v 13 ], do Not have a heavenly hope, but and Earthly resurrection hope during Jesus 1000-year reign over a paradisaic Earth. - Acts 24 v 15

The thief was not a baptized follower which baptism is a requirement for heaven.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:59 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,379,087 times
Quote:
I am not an advocate of separation, that exists only in the minds of certain men.
Only a man/woman who knows and understands forgiveness understands this

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?"
"No one, sir," she said. "Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

Your Life of sin ?.......... A state we enter when we believe we are separated from God. No one to turn to but ourselves.

Seth also had a son, and he named him Enosh. At that time men began to call on the name of the LORD.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If Eve only died a spiritual death she would still be alive today.

Isn't Matthew [ 10 v 28 B ] clear that the soul can be destroyed in hell [ Gehenna ] ?
Just as John [ 3 v 16 ] is clear that one can perish [ be destroyed ] ?

Jesus went to hell the day he died. Hell [Hebrew sheol] is the common grave of mankind Not paradise.

Jesus made the promise on the day he died 'truly I tell you today [,] you will be [future tense] with me in paradise.

All who died before Jesus died [ John 3 v 13 ], do Not have a heavenly hope, but and Earthly resurrection hope during Jesus 1000-year reign over a paradisaic Earth. - Acts 24 v 15

The thief was not a baptized follower which baptism is a requirement for heaven.
I never said that Adam and Eve didn't die physically. Physical death is the result of spiritual death, but it was spiritual death which was the penalty for sin. Adam died spiritually immediately, but did not physically die until many hundreds of years later. Unbelievers are physically alive, but they are spiritually dead until they accept Christ as Savior.

As I said, the word 'apollumi' which is translated as destroyed does not mean cessation of existence, but refers to a state of ruination and uselessness. Furthermore, the last half of Matthew 10:28 does not take place until after the end of the Millennium.

Jesus went to Paradise which at the time was one of the compartments of Hades. And again, Hades is not the common grave of man.

And as already stated, there is no punctuation in the Greek. Putting a comma in the English in order to try to disprove that Jesus told the criminal that he would be in Paradise that day is an empty argument. And of course it was future tense. Neither Jesus or the criminal had yet died. As soon as they did die, they went to Paradise.

All who died before Christ ascended into heaven went to Hades. Believers went to the Paradise side, and unbelievers went to the 'Torments' side. All believers who were in the Paradise side of Hades are now in heaven where Paradise is now located (2 Corinthians 12:2-4). The bodies of the Old Testment saints, as well as the bodies of Tribulational martyrs will be resurrected when Christ returns at the end of the Tribulation. The only people who go into the Millennium in their mortal bodies will be Tribulational believers who survive until the end of the Tribulation.

And no, water baptism is NOT a requirement for salvation. Or entrance into heaven. And this thread is not about water baptism so do not try to turn the thread in that direction.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-02-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity