Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,768,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 I agree. It is my belief that religion has more to do with culture (I believe this to be the reason of split from the early Christians) than scripture.
Then again 'mainstreaming' a religion to be accepted (or even made popular) by the masses could be considered propaganda.

Originally Posted by arguy1973 True, but the danger of following this line of thinking is that scripture, the Holy Spirit, or even God doesn't matter, because by adapting scripture to every possible flavour thins the message to the point of being meaningless.
In short the scriptures becomes stretched too thin if it can mean anything to anybody.
Read dojilynn's post above..I think she just nailed it..

Most Christians in the US dont differ that much on the basics...that is preaching/teaching Christ crucified for our sins..

waterdowned scripture is worthless..we should never add too or take away from the Bible to make people happy, thats not what I meant at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:40 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,205 times
Originally Posted by arguy1973
Quote:
waterdowned scripture is worthless..we should never add too or take away from the Bible to make people happy, thats not what I meant at all.
I know it is not what you meant, but I believe that it is what has been done and what still is being done.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:49 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,768,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by arguy1973 I know it is not what you meant, but I believe that it is what has been done and what still is being done.
yes..its sad but you are correct..one can watch the news and see it happening. When man tries to adjust or alter something that wasnt his to alter, then comes all kinds of new problems IMHO

Old 10-26-2007, 12:26 PM

2,885 posts, read 8,302,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I try to follow the Bible literally following the discrimination and intuition given by the Holy Spirit!
Ditto............................................. .................................................. .....

Old 10-26-2007, 12:39 PM

2,885 posts, read 8,302,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
I think my own interpretation comes from the Holy Spirit, and he leads me thru the scriputure, and therefore its not ARGUYS interpretation anymore,
Quote:
and when Im led by the Holy Spirit, that interpretation will line up with other believers interpretation.

I agree arguy;
Every single time that's His promise, and it tested and found true.
When the He promised the he would not leave us comfortless; he didn't, The Holy Spirit is our guide in all things, ( better than a seeing eye dog").

Old 10-26-2007, 08:19 PM

264 posts, read 696,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
This is exactly what I was going to say!
I hope none of you takes that part about cutting your hand off or gouging your eye out if it causes you to sin too literally.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:58 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,323,304 times
Talking Not a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamite View Post
I hope none of you takes that part about cutting your hand off or gouging your eye out if it causes you to sin too literally.
Are you kidding? Then I might have trouble posting on CD!!!

Old 10-26-2007, 10:22 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,095,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Once a great man of God told me that sacred scriptures from all religions were created in such a clever way that they had 2 meanings, the obvious message was intended to inspire the average man, while the other was meant to help the serious spiritual seeker on his/her quest for God, since that day I've followed his advice, but I would love to know the opinions of my fellow forum users and brothers.

Love and Light!
I literally don't follow it literally..

Old 10-27-2007, 04:51 AM

8,419 posts, read 16,277,205 times
Wink Bigthirsty is talking in code?

Originally Posted by bigthirsty
Quote:
I literally don't follow it literally..
That's probably because the bible literally isn't going anywhere.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 AM

292 posts, read 936,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I try to follow the Bible literally following the discrimination and intuition given by the Holy Spirit!
What he said!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity