Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,021,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Exposing fruitless deeds of darkness is not usurping the authority of God.... which explains yet another outburst from the love crowd.
Context, context, context -- Remember? I do not see you following this way of living. Rather, you thrive on false accusations and divisions.

Ephesians 5 >>
New Living Translation Living in the Light
1Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.

2Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved usa and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

3Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people.

4Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.

5You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.

6Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him.

7Don’t participate in the things these people do.

8For once you were full of darkness, but now you have light from the Lord. So live as people of light!

9For this light within you produces only what is good and right and true.

10Carefully determine what pleases the Lord.

11Take no part in the worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them.

12It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret.

13But their evil intentions will be exposed when the light shines on them,

14for the light makes everything visible. This is why it is said,
“Awake, O sleeper, rise up from the dead,and Christ will give you light.”
Living by the Spirit’s Power

15So be careful how you live. Don’t live like fools, but like those who are wise.

16Make the most of every opportunity in these evil days.

17Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.

18Don’t be drunk with wine, because that will ruin your life. Instead, be filled with the Holy Spirit,

19singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, and making music to the Lord in your hearts.

20And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:30 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,500,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Context, context, context -- Remember? I do not see you following this way of living. Rather, you thrive on false accusations and divisions.

Ephesians 5 >>
New Living Translation Living in the Light
1Imitate God, therefore, in everything you do, because you are his dear children.

2Live a life filled with love, following the example of Christ. He loved usa and offered himself as a sacrifice for us, a pleasing aroma to God.

3Let there be no sexual immorality, impurity, or greed among you. Such sins have no place among God’s people.

4Obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes—these are not for you. Instead, let there be thankfulness to God.

5You can be sure that no immoral, impure, or greedy person will inherit the Kingdom of Christ and of God. For a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.

6Don’t be fooled by those who try to excuse these sins, for the anger of God will fall on all who disobey him. .
I'm not the one rejecting verse 5-6 .... it's the "God is love only" crowd that thrive on false accusations and divisions.
It is folks like yourself that caused the divisions by reject verse 5-6, and now thrive on false accusations about the Bible.

I'm not the one who is fooled
"by those who try to excuse these sins" with the darkness that perverts 1Timothy 2:4 with their "all = all inclusive" when Context, context, context -- Remember? is not convenient.

Ephesians 5:11
Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them.
Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 03-21-2013 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: Insult

Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The attacks on God's holy Word never end. Satan has always attacked the Bible, either though attempts to physically destroy it, or through attempts to discredit it by promoting the lie that the Bible is not the word of God.

The Scriptures are not human viewpoint. They are in fact the Holy Spirit's use of human agencies and language. The Scriptures are of divine origin. All Scripture is God-breathed as stated in 2 Timothy 3:16 - All Scripture is inspired by God (theopneustos; God breathed) and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; And while most of the Bible was not dictated, though some of it was, God the Holy Spirit so superintended the communication of the Scriptures to the human authors of the Bible that God's complete message to man was communicated without error in the original autographs.

Jesus is called the Word twice in the Bible - John 1:1 and Revelation 19:13.

The gospel message is called the word of God numerous times in the book of Acts. Acts 4:31; 6:7; 8:14; 11:1; 12:24; 13:5; 13:44; 13:46; 13:48; 15:36; 16:32; 17:13 ...

Jesus Himself called the Mosaic Law the word of God in Matthew 15:6.

Jesus called the gospel (the seed) the word of God in Luke 8:11.

Jesus called His teaching the word of God in Luke 8:21.

Paul called his message the word of God in 1 Thessalonians 2:13.

John who referred to Jesus as the Word in John 1:1 and said in Revelation 19:13 with reference to Jesus that 'His name is called the Word of God', also referred to his visions which were revealed to him and recorded in the Book of Revelation as the word of God.

Regarding the use of the phrase the word of God in the Book of Revelation, the Expositor's Bible Commentary Volume 12, pg. 417 states the following...
Two elements in the book are of chief importance: "The word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ." In referring to his visions as the "word of God," John emphasizes his continuity with the prophets in the OT as well as the apostles in the NT. The following passages show us John's concept of the Word of God: 1:9; 3:8, 10; 6:9; 12:11; 17:17; 19:9; 20:4. In 19:13 Jesus is Himself identified with the name "the Word of God." Here, in chapter 1, the reference is not directly to Christ but to the promises and acts of God revealed in this book that are realized through Jesus, the Word of God incarnate (cf. John 1:1-2; 1 John 1:1). The church needs to be reminded that the neglected Book of Revelation is the very Word of God to us. While John's literary activity is evident throughout, he claims that what he presents he actually "saw" in divinely disclosed visions. And in the book God himself bears witness to the readers that these things are not the product of John's own mind (1:1-2; 21:5; 22:6; cf. 2 Peter 1:21).
Now you believe John when he says that Jesus is the Word of God, but will you not then believe John when he also says that what was revealed to him and which he recorded in the Book of Revelation is the word of God?

That which God communicates to man is His word. The Bible is God's communicated message to man in writing and is therefore the word of God!!!
That's quite a standard you've set. Can you stand behind your claim when faced with scrutiny?

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
That's quite a standard you've set. Can you stand behind your claim when faced with scrutiny?
What I've done with this thread is to show that the phrase 'the Word of God' is not used only with regard to Jesus. That is the topic of this thread. Moderator cut: edit

Last edited by june 7th; 03-21-2013 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Way in which other member was addressed.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:02 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,393,044 times
Mike back at it again I see, yet you still have not explained why the bible is wrong about the ant. Surely if the bible was the Word of God then it would not have such an obvious error in it. Unless of course you think the Word of God can be in error.

Bible and scripture are NOT the same thing. The bible contains scripture, but not everything in the bible is scripture.

You do realise the Ethiopian bible contains the book of Enoch, correct?

So explain to us how the book of Enoch is not scripture as it is found in the bible.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:23 AM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Mike back at it again I see, yet you still have not explained why the bible is wrong about the ant. Surely if the bible was the Word of God then it would not have such an obvious error in it. Unless of course you think the Word of God can be in error.
Still? When was I ever asked to explain it? At any rate, skeptics arguments are not the topic of this thread.

Nevertheless, you are referring to Proverbs 6:7 which says that ants have no chief, Officer or ruler. And according to Stanford biologist Deborah Gordon, they don't. Dr. Gordon states the following... ''There are about 10,000 species of ants. They all live in colonies consisting of one or a few queens, and then all the ants you see walking around are sterile female workers. And all ant colonies have in common That there’s no central control. Nobody tells anybody what to do, the queen just lays the eggs, there’s no management, no ant directs the behavior of any other ant. And I try to figure out how that works.'' >> How do ants know what to do? Deborah Gordon on TED.com

Here is some information on Dr. Gordon >> Deborah M. Gordon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Bible and scripture are NOT the same thing. The bible contains scripture, but not everything in the bible is scripture.
The Bible from Genesis to Revelation is Scripture. God's communicated word set in writing.

Quote:
You do realise the Ethiopian bible contains the book of Enoch, correct?

So explain to us how the book of Enoch is not scripture as it is found in the bible.
I've gone over the apocrypha with you before. You did not listen then, and you will not listen now. I'll not waste my time going over it again.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-21-2013 at 12:32 AM..

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,185,985 times
Call me Mr. Obvious, but Abraham didn't have a KJV or other edition, but his relationship with God is a model for us (according to scripture).

He just believed God, and it was counted to him for righteousness.

The Bible is a luxury that I cherish, but I could live without it if I had to - the Writer, I could not.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 AM

10,043 posts, read 4,974,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
The '66' Bible books are in harmony with each other.
The others such as the book of Enoch exclude themselves by being out of harmony with the '66'.
The '66' have corresponding or parallel reference verses or passages that verify each other.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
"The love crowd?" Count me in!

Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
"The love crowd?" Count me in!
Ditto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity