Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
That's how corporations operate as well.
Unfortunately, a lot of church boards act like they are a corporation. Like it or not, a pastor does have to be concerned with where he's going to live and how he will feed his family. Not saying it's right....just pointing out that sometimes it's not all the pastor's idea to try to build a megachurch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:38 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You state that as if it's a bad thing to do.
Nothing wrong with being friendly with other religions--as long as we don't compromise our beliefs. I attend a monthly ministerial association of pastors in my area. There are several people there that I strongly disagree with on issues of theology, but it's good to at least meet together and compare notes about what we're doing, and to get to know each other.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:14 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nothing wrong with being friendly with other religions--as long as we don't compromise our beliefs. I attend a monthly ministerial association of pastors in my area. There are several people there that I strongly disagree with on issues of theology, but it's good to at least meet together and compare notes about what we're doing, and to get to know each other.
Hmmm.... that's expected. What about the parishioners? Do you encourage them to get to know people of other faiths so they can understand how other people live and what they believe? If a mosque near your town burned to the ground would your church help re-build it?

Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM

281 posts, read 306,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not all of us are concerned only with numbers. Many of us recognize that spiritual growth among the people we have already is important, too.

Having said that, keep in mind that a lot of pastors are under tremendous pressure by their Board of Elders to grow the church. Many churches tell their pastor that if the church doesn't grow, he isn't doing his job.
And that is why I am a firm believe in the plurality of elder/pastors, and not a single 'head' or 'senior' pastor with 'associate' pastors and a separate board of elders that dictate to the pastor what they expect of him.

But, as per the OP. I'm glad that you have a pastor (there is no biblical context of an 'associate' pastor) that actually teaches things that don't 'tickle the ears' of the congregation. I'm glad he's more interested in evangelism than a church building. But I'm of the personal opinion that churches should be smaller, and 250 is about the largest I would co-pastor, and we'd probably have 10 elder/pastors doing so. It's just to hard to be intimately involved in that many lives. Even Jesus had a 'small group' mentality, teaching privately to a smaller group expounding on what he said.

Quote:
(DewDropInn):
Hmmm.... that's expected. What about the parishioners? Do you encourage them to get to know people of other faiths so they can understand how other people live and what they believe? If a mosque near your town burned to the ground would your church help re-build it?
We are after all in the world, it is hard to minister to others if we don't go out into it, which is the implied command of the 'Great Commission'. I say implied because the only actual command in the passage is 'make disciples of all nations', the rest are verbal nouns that relate to how we make disciples: Going, baptizing and teaching. We could definitely use the loss of a mosque for as an opportunity for ministry, but one might ask if we should be involved in the building a place of worship for a false god, would that be giving 'hearty approval' to their practices? (Rom. 1:32) How far should we go in ministering to the loss? Just a thought.

Blessing in Christ

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched.elect View Post

We could definitely use the loss of a mosque for as an opportunity for ministry, but one might ask if we should be involved in the building a place of worship for a false god, would that be giving 'hearty approval' to their practices? (Rom. 1:32) How far should we go in ministering to the loss? Just a thought.
Personally? Since I have been blessed with wonderful friends who are Muslims and know they are human beings created by God who would probably be heartbroken over the loss of their place of worship I'd sympathize with them. Then ask when I could be there to help clean up the mess. Maybe bring a box of donuts so we'd all have something to munch on. Rebuilding would take time and I'd support them as much as possible.

Because they'd do the same for me. And it's the right thing to do. Unless, apparently, you think "ministering"/help should be withheld from anyone who isn't a Christian. Which just seems ugly and selfish to me. Personally, I think Jesus would be appalled if we said, "No help for you! You don't worship Christ." Need is need.

I'm hoping Vizio responds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity