Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:16 AM

522 posts, read 623,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
Just something that really annoys me. People act like being gay is the "worst" sin
Yeah I think there's some unfairness there. The Bible tends to list homosexuality in a litany of other sins involving sexuality or impurity. I don't know that it ever singles out as worse than say sex with your mother-in-law or various other kinds of adultery or participating in a pagan ceremony or the like.

Natural law thinking would seem to make it worse than adultery, but not worse than forms of adultery that involve sodomy or objects. So from a natural-law perspective fornicating, with a condom, would (I believe) be as sinful as homosexuality. Yet many hetero Catholics I think would balk at that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
when in reality no sin is better than the other. Sin is sin!
And then you lost me. I've heard people say this, and I can respect that certain denominations teach this, but it's a bit hard for me to buy.

If all sins are equal this would seem to mean stealing a candy bar is no better or worse than killing someone's baby. And I find that a little bit implausible somehow.

Old 04-14-2013, 04:12 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,985,600 times
Hmm well as I study the bible I notice that there are different types of sins. There are sins of commission (Ex 20:13,15) and sins of omission (1 Sam 12:23, Jam 2:15,16, 4:17, 1 John 3:17). So yes you can categorize sins but does it make one worst than the other? Hmmm food for thought....

Old 04-15-2013, 01:09 AM

7 posts, read 7,968 times
i have a lot of diversity in my life which includes several gay friends and friends of different religions. i once ask my very "religious" (i am not certain what relgion she considers herself anymore except that she is Christian) if she disliked my friends and she said..no i love them all, i do not like their sin but we all sin and no sin is better or worse a murder carries the same amount of sin as some one who steals a candy bar in the eyes of god (not our man made laws) what matters is if they ask god for forgiveness and guidance. she said that is what she would tell me as I have also sinned (the whole sex before marriage thing)

Old 04-15-2013, 06:30 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,469,976 times
You said " God knows what he's doing!"

Now i know for a fact that you are not a preacher. You have spoken a mouthful with such a truth. the sad thing is that most preachers make a statement but dont believe it.
You are correct that sin is sin. but most like to find a bogeyman to point a finger to. that is why people usually compare everyone to hitler. in this case, people compare themselved to gays and point their finger. But when we compare ourselved to Jesus, then we must see that we are all on the same ship. The gay just like a TV evangelist will be brought to their knees when they come face to face with Christ. What a glorious event that will be, All knees will bow and tongue confess. Amazing.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:31 AM

45,727 posts, read 27,355,122 times
We have a few issues on this subject.

1- Some Christians do over-emphasize this sin over others.
2- Some powerful elite unbelievers are using the gay issue to drive Christianity out of the cultural framework of America.
3- Both sides lack love.

I ran across this...

What God Wants

As a child, Chu adored the song “Jesus Loves Me.” But does Jesus love him now that he’s an openly gay adult? Chu has his doubts: “There are still moments when I wonder whether my homosexuality is my ticket to hell.”

It's an article about a book written by a gay Christian.

I believe that people can be born with homosexual desires, just like people can be born with a greedy, selfish spirit, just like people can be born with a spirit prone to violent behavior. God doesn't "make" us this way - it's a product of the inherent sin in us that originated from Adam in the garden.

At the end of the day, everyone is prone to sin in some area. Followers of Christ must put to death the deeds of the flesh as much as possible. We also must show to unbelievers the love of Christ that He died for homosexuals, and focus less on the sin itself.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:46 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,796,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Bible does clearly condemn homosexual acts, though. God created a man and a woman. He doesn't create confused individuals that lust for people of the same gender.
The bible was written by heterosexual men, it was not written by a God. Who said homosexuals are confused? It is you who are confused. Stop and think for a moment who ridiculous it is to condemn, and relentlessly attack a small minority of people simply because they are attracted to their own gender.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:59 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,796,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We have a few issues on this subject.

1- Some Christians do over-emphasize this sin over others.
2- Some powerful elite unbelievers are using the gay issue to drive Christianity out of the cultural framework of America.
3- Both sides lack love.
Christians drive their religion out of the cultural framework of America all on their own. You think you can continue to condemn homosexuals relentlessly, expending so much time attacking them. Do you think people with common sense are going to continue to listen to you? You have the audacity, to be so condescending comparing homosexuality to alcoholism, or being a kleptomaniac, then wonder why poor religious fanatics are being attacked? Could it be because the people you have turned into your enemies, are forced to defend themselves against your archaic, primitive, uneducated beliefs? When are you going to join the 21st century? You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves for spreading your hate under the guise of religion. Keep up the good work, as the years go by, your numbers will continue to dwindle, even in the red states.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:14 AM

45,727 posts, read 27,355,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Christians drive their religion out of the cultural framework of America all on their own. You think you can continue to condemn homosexuals relentlessly, expending so much time attacking them. Do you think people with common sense are going to continue to listen to you? You have the audacity, to be so condescending comparing homosexuality to alcoholism, or being a kleptomaniac, then wonder why poor religious fanatics are being attacked? Could it be because the people you have turned into your enemies, are forced to defend themselves against your archaic, primitive, uneducated beliefs? When are you going to join the 21st century? You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves for spreading your hate under the guise of religion. Keep up the good work, as the years go by, your numbers will continue to dwindle, even in the red states.
Maybe I should have included hetero-sexual adultery in my post as a sin...

If we single out gays, you complain for being singled out. If we don't single out gays and say it's a regular sin along with the other sins, you complain about that. I understand it's a no win issue and many gays just want to do what they do without consequence. Par for the course as far as I am concerned.

Eventually, the wages of sin will be paid out - regardless of how you believe Christians attack homosexuals. Christ, in His death, has given everyone the opportunity to escape those wages.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:29 AM

367 posts, read 371,229 times
I don't know of anyone who act's like choosing to perform gay act's is the "worst" sin. It is a sin. Glad you acknowledge that fact. For the small minority that are driving the agenda to force the country to accept this sin as somehow normal and accepted and want tax money for those who perform this sin are the ones who make those claims since it's the only topic they push it's the only one being pointed out to them at the time. Since they have no defense against the truth they claim they are being singled out and picked on. It is they who bring it to the point it becomes an issue and we all have a right to voice our opinion on the subject once it's out there. This is just an attempt to silence the free speech of good, decent and moral people.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,956,852 times
The biggest problem I see is that no one seems to be able to show why a homosexual love expressed in a monogamous relationship should be considered harmful either to themselves or to society. Knowing this in the back of their minds, imo, religious people who believe homosexual relations under any conditions are "abominable" get more strident in declaring their position. Combine that with the sexual insecurity that seems to be endemic to our society and you have an explosive situation.

When "good, decent and moral people" can brin g something to the table besides their religious convictions, when they can demonstrate the harm a homosexual relationship does to society, then their position will not be denigrated because of the necessary requirement that there be valid reason for enforcing differences in law to specific groups.

Last edited by nateswift; 04-15-2013 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: additional point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity