Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 11:50 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,048,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
God did not want sin to come into Earth. God wanted a peaceful paradise. But if God intervened man's free will choice, is He still a just God to His word? I think you really need to see this one to understand the one I posted above.
If God wanted a peaceful paradise from the beginning then why didn't He protect Adam and Eve from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil from the beginning as He did to them from the Tree of Life AFTER they had taken the forbidden fruit?

Obviously, God knew and intended for them to take from the forbidden fruit. Furthermore, they had to because God was producing the God-kind which knows Good and Evil as it shows here:

Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

But let's consider your right for a moment and God didn't intend for it to happen, then what your supporting/preaching is that God didn't intend for it to happen in which case it imparts the meaning that God couldn't control the matter or didn't want to control the matter to bring about His desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,447,921 times
Quote:
He is not my idol. I simply just believe what he preaches.
But I challenge you to expose any errors in his preaching, given he preaches the context of the gospel and nothing more.
Religion is insanity, you cannot reason with it. And, I am not interested in Emotionalism.
You will never comprehend the existence of error, when too deeply immersed in it!

"You will believe, what you believe; until you no longer believe it."

Old 06-28-2013, 02:05 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
If God wanted a peaceful paradise from the beginning then why didn't He protect Adam and Eve from the Tree of knowledge of Good and Evil from the beginning as He did to them from the Tree of Life AFTER they had taken the forbidden fruit?
Obviously, God knew and intended for them to take from the forbidden fruit. Furthermore, they had to because God was producing the God-kind which knows Good and Evil as it shows here:
It was our first and most important lesson . . . "knowledge of good and evil." As we all know . . . ignorance is bliss . . . but it cannot choose good if it does not know what that is.
Quote:
Gen 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:
This verse has been egregiously misinterpretd using the barbaric concept of an angry, vengeful God . . . as if God wants to prevent us from eating of the "tree of life" . . . when the opposite is true. The phrase "now lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life " would more properly be translated as "now perhaps he will use this power (knowledge) to eat of the tree of life." Now that we know the difference between good and evil . . . God wants us to use that knowledge to choose good and thereby "eat of the tree of life" and become like God . . . NOT become God . . . but become LIKE God.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It was our first and most important lesson . . . "knowledge of good and evil." As we all know . . . ignorance is bliss . . . but it cannot choose good if it does not know what that is. This verse has been egregiously misinterpretd using the barbaric concept of an angry, vengeful God . . . as if God wants to prevent us from eating of the "tree of life" . . . when the opposite is true. The phrase "now lest he put forth his hand and take also of the tree of life " would more properly be translated as "now perhaps he will use this power (knowledge) to eat of the tree of life." Now that we know the difference between good and evil . . . God wants us to use that knowledge to choose good and thereby "eat of the tree of life" and become like God . . . NOT become God . . . but become LIKE God.
Well, I don't believe in that interpretation. After all, we read next that the Tree of Life was cut off at that point. I believe that what this tells us is that if you sin then your cut off from the Tree of Life.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:55 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Well, I don't believe in that interpretation. After all, we read next that the Tree of Life was cut off at that point. I believe that what this tells us is that if you sin then your cut off from the Tree of Life.
Well . . . and this is important . . . it doesn't matter one whit which interpretation you believe. We know the difference between good and evil and we are to choose good . . . that is the important thing to take away from this our first lesson, IMO.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:08 PM

794 posts, read 848,734 times
Quote:

But let's consider your right for a moment and God didn't intend for it to happen, then what your supporting/preaching is that God didn't intend for it to happen in which case it imparts the meaning that God couldn't control the matter or didn't want to control the matter to bring about His desire.
Why tell them not to do something and then stop them when they go to do it after telling them the consequence of doing the very thing God told them not to do? God would not be allowing man to have free will if He intervened their free choice to eat from the tree or not. Not eating from the tree is man honoring God, acknowledging God, respecting God. God had to give them 1 way to say no to Him otherwise His creation is not perfect.

Old 06-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Religion is insanity, you cannot reason with it. And, I am not interested in Emotionalism.
You will never comprehend the existence of error, when too deeply immersed in it!

"You will believe, what you believe; until you no longer believe it."
I do not follow any religion. Christianity is not a religion. I'm not sure how you pulled the thought of religion from his preaching.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:06 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,437,340 times
Quote:
I do not follow any religion. Christianity is not a religion. I'm not sure how you pulled the thought of religion from his preaching.
Did you miss my post? Any thoughts or an answer to the question?

Old 06-28-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Well . . . and this is important . . . it doesn't matter one whit which interpretation you believe. We know the difference between good and evil and we are to choose good . . . that is the important thing to take away from this our first lesson, IMO.
Yes, I agree with that. But I also believe that God has sent a strong message in the scriptures to understand that are dead right now because of sin and that it isn't just that we should seek Him and continue therein.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I believe I've watched enough of the video you posted to understand where he's coming from.

His basic premise is that God has to punish sin because He said He would in the garden of Eden, and God must keep His word or the whole universe would fall apart.

I don't have a problem with the second part of that premise (God keeps His word), but he takes a giant leap when he says that God said He would punish sin in the Garden. God never said that. He simply told Adam & Eve what the natural consequences for sin are: death. Because sin separates us from the Source of Life. God doesn't have to punish us to "keep His word". The consequences for sin are built in.

For example, a parent tells their child not to touch the hot burner because if they do they will be hurt. Is the parent threatening to burn the child if he disobeys? No, of course not. They are just telling the child what the natural consequences of not obeying them will be.

So, now you've acknowledged that God CAN forgive sin without punishing it, and we can see that God didn't say He would punish sin in the Garden of Eden. Can you see now that the idea that God needed to punish Jesus for our sins doesn't make sense?
Adam and Eve did not know evil until they ate the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. This changed the very nature of humanity. This is not behavior modification we are talking about here. The word "sin" in the bible is used as a noun very many times. A noun is not an action. Humans have been infected with sin (noun). Why do you think Jesus is giving us new bodies in the rapture? These bodies are doomed to die and cannot live forever. No sense in going to eternity with a mortal body. It makes perfect sense to punish 1 to save many if you love them. And since God is a God of justice you cannot leave sin unpunished. But since God is a God of love He cannot punish each individual for their sins but to only those who reject the atonement God made for us. Rejecting atonement is the same as eating the fruit God forbade all over again symbolically. Its saying no to the salvation He gave us through Jesus. Its saying no to God's way.

The difference between you and I is I believe in the God who sent His Son Jesus to die for our sins. I believe in atonement. You believe in a God that seemingly has no justice at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity