Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 PM

670 posts, read 815,365 times

Advertisements

This is meant to be a discussion about the nature of Christianity, it's weaknesses and it's strengths. This is not meant to be an attack on Christianity but a deep inward reflection of it. I would like to ask any one who posts in this thread to avoid attacking each other, try to keep your remarks civil and for fellow Christians please be open to constructive criticism.

I will start with what I fell are Christianities strengths are because I'm sure allot of people are going to want to post what they fell is it's weaknesses as it is far easier to see the bad in some thing than to recognize the good. First Christianity teaches non-violence which I am sure most would agree is a good thing, however it also teaches us that we should refrain from protecting ourselves some thing I do not agree with. In an Ideal world pure pacifism would be fine but we live in a world where evil people scheme evil things. Christianity teaches us that we should not belittle or mistreat sinners but we should be nice to them and attempt to help them. Christianity teaches us that we should avoid hypocrisy and pride, and that we should not misjudge others based on our own pious beliefs. I would also add that Jesus's teachings had undertones of anti-ritual behavior and anti-organized religion which depending on who you are could be viewed as a good or a bad thing. On a whole Christianity's strength is that it teaches love, patience, and understanding.

Now for it's weaknesses as the title suggest I feel that the Devil is always blamed for the wrongs Christians commit and Jesus is used as an excuse to get away with what ever they want. Because most Christians feel that the Mosaic Law has passed away they believe they can sin all they want with out consequence simultaneously they say, "the Devil did it and Christ forgives all." This has created a culture of people who do not think they are responsible for their actions, people who feel they can get away with what ever they want, because in their eyes the Devil makes them do it and Christ will Forgive every thing. The main weakness of Christianity in my eyes is that many who follow it's teachings develop a lack of care or respect for their own actions and lack any since of responsibility. Many not all, do not feel guilt or remorse for their actions. I once asked a preacher "if Hitler asked Christ for forgiveness before dying would he be forgiven", I was shocked when he told me yes.

Can people go around not worrying about the effect their actions have?

If any one else can think of any positive or negative things about Christianity or would like to debate what I have said please do so, as I promise I will not get offended. This is in no way meant to be an attack on Christianity but one Christians deep inward look at the good and bad things that come with this faith. I will say however that I do not believe in blood sacrifice or the trinity.

May Peace and Love be with you always, in the name of Elohim, Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 07:50 PM

99 posts, read 147,073 times
Turning the other cheek was an order of protection. If a Roman used his other hand to strike the other cheek, he would be committing a crime.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:02 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Do any of the perceived strengths or weaknesses indicate truthfulness? Or is that already decided?

Old 04-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Do any of the perceived strengths or weaknesses indicate truthfulness? Or is that already decided?
You must first define what your truth is.
"He who welcomes a prophet will receive a prophets reward, he who receives a saint will likewise receive a saints reward, he who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me and those who came before me."-Jesus Christ
There is an absolute truth and that truth is Elohim.

May peace and love be with you always.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
You must first define what your truth is.
"He who welcomes a prophet will receive a prophets reward, he who receives a saint will likewise receive a saints reward, he who welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me and those who came before me."-Jesus Christ
There is an absolute truth and that truth is Elohim.

I believe that Christianity is real. God is Trinitarian in nature, Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity, and without trust in him and his death on the cross as the sacrifice for our sin we are destined to burn in hell.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Can people go around not worrying about the effect their actions have?
You will reap, what you have sown:

The right, power, or privilege of making a choice requires judgment.
And we live with the consequences of our decisions; right or wrong.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I believe that Christianity is real. God is Trinitarian in nature, Jesus is the 2nd person of the Trinity, and without trust in him and his death on the cross as the sacrifice for our sin we are destined to burn in hell.
Very good,
you have fit God into your perception of him,
you have confined god into a being that requires a ritual to be performed,
granted it was only one ritual 2000 years ago,
but you have forced your idea that rituals and traditions are needed unto god.

When in reality god is all powerful and never once actually needed them that was a human idea we forced unto god. We put limiters on gods power because we couldn't understand god.

You are entitled to that belief, as I am mine, only God truly knows who is right.

Putting aside the obvious Theological differences between you and me,
Are people responsible for their actions?
Or can they go through life with out a care in the world sinning all they want?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:26 AM

58 posts, read 77,162 times
The scape goat was symbolized in the Mosaic law on the Day of Atonement described in Leviticus 16 two goats were presented before the Lord. One was slain and one was taken into the wilderness.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 AM

99 posts, read 147,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neckbeard89 View Post
Turning the other cheek was an order of protection. If a Roman used his other hand to strike the other cheek, he would be committing a crime.
I need to clarify this.

In those times, use of the left hand was reserved for wiping your butt! In addition, to strike a man with your right hand was shown as "you are my equal", unless they used the back of their hand. By turning the other cheek, they would be forced to either strike you with their fist and admit you are their equal, or not hit you at all.

By law, they were able to have slaves carry their stuff for 1 mile. So when we are instructed to carry for 2, it puts them in a position of getting in trouble.

Its strategy to turn the tables in your favor without resorting to violence. I am firmly against the interpretation that we are to not defend our selves.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:03 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
I don`t see the devil as a scapegoat , because this is a acceptance of condemnation and judgmental , which is alien to Jesus and His Spirit ............ If believers are call not to condemn others but to love their neighbors as them selves , So some believers will quote the bible to look at the errors of others , but can fail to explain the teaching through the spirit behind the rules which they have through God Word .............So many reject the rules of Christ , because the Lord God said `` My people perish because of lack of understanding ........... Where believers are not call to fight against flesh and blood of the world , but are call to do their fighting through the spirit against the devil which is the adversary against God and His purpose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity