Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:01 PM

484 posts, read 882,217 times

Advertisements

I recall when I was a kid, and even still today this day I have always wondered this. My parents would read me stories of Christ's crucifixion and to be honest it did not make sense when they talked about what great pain he was in. I figured that God would not be able to feel any pain. What are your thoughts...did he feel pain?

If your answer is yes, because he was God taking on human form then my question would then become how was he able to live sin-free if he was human?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:30 PM

10,020 posts, read 4,955,378 times
Jesus felt pain because Jesus is the Son of God. Even the heavenly resurrected Jesus after many decades in heaven still thought he is the Son of God at Rev. 2 v 18. Jesus still thinks he has a God over him according to Revelation 3 v 12.

God send a pre-human heavenly Jesus to earth. That meant Jesus had a sinless Father. Unlike us who spring from sinning father Adam.
Satan wanted to break the integrity of Jesus, that is why Satan, so to speak, threw everything, except the kitchen sink, at Jesus.
By way of extension, Satan challenges all of us at Job [ 2 vs 4,5 ] touch our 'flesh ' [ loose physical health ] and we would not serve God.
Satan wanted to do everything possible to keep Jesus from dying for us and setting us free from the lasting effects of sin and death.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I recall when I was a kid, and even still today this day I have always wondered this. My parents would read me stories of Christ's crucifixion and to be honest it did not make sense when they talked about what great pain he was in. I figured that God would not be able to feel any pain. What are your thoughts...did he feel pain?

If your answer is yes, because he was God taking on human form then my question would then become how was he able to live sin-free if he was human?
Jesus Christ is both eternal and infinite God and true humanity in one person. Not half God and half man, but fully God and fully man. One of the reasons why God had to become man was because God cannot die. But in answering your question, God cannot feel pain. Jesus died for the sins of the world in His humanity. But because He is also infinite God His death as a man had infinite value. But it was His spiritual death which paid the penalty for our sins. Not His physical death. Jesus had to die physically in order to be the first fruits of those resurrected in Him. And because He could not ascend into heaven in a mortal body of corruption.

As a man, Jesus could certainly feel pain, tiredness, hunger.

But the humanity of Jesus had been born without a sin nature because of the virgin birth. And because He was God He could resist temptation.

As man, Jesus was temptable. As God He was not temptable. As man, Jesus was able to sin, but as God He was not able to sin. Therefore, because in the one Person of Jesus existed two natures, His divine nature as God, and His human nature as man, He was able to resist temptation and not sin.

An analogy (though an imperfect one) is that of a copper wire welded to a iron bar. The copper wire represents Jesus' humanity and the iron bar represents His deity. By itself the copper wire can be bent. But when welded to the iron bar the copper wire cannot be bent.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:10 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
That Jesus was only dead for a day or so, is doubtful sacrifice. Many have suffered far worse, without being resurrected a few hours later - and we still have the same sin - nature as before.

If Jesus didn't even feel pain, then it was no sacrifice at all.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:00 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,009,914 times
In Luke 22: 42.... Jesus prayed ..`` Father , if you be willing , remove this cup from me never the less not my will but your will be done ``..... See Jesus knew He was going to be killed and he asked God to take Holy Spirit away so He did not have to go through this horror with Jesus....... The In Matthew 27: 46....... Jesus cried out ...``Eli, Eli, la`-ma sa-bach-tha-ni? .... Which is to say My God, My God , why has you forsaken me ?``....... See Jesus was in so much pain He was delusional in His understanding in His faith with God ........Both of the scriptures show that Jesus could feel pain and anguish

Old 01-19-2014, 04:17 AM

318 posts, read 262,779 times
I believe i have read that the Christians believed\believe he felt pain, but the Gnostics didn't believe he felt pain because they believed he was a supernatural being.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans12 View Post
I believe i have read that the Christians believed\believe he felt pain, but the Gnostics didn't believe he felt pain because they believed he was a supernatural being.
This has always been the result of Constantine's administrative decision that Jesus was = God. I am no theologian, but it seems to me that this does not deny that, as a man, he was as a man in all things. The body acted just as a man's did. he sweated, he breathed, bacteria reduced what he ate. Though he was told things by the god who was in him, he did not know everything and could do nothing of himself, but only what the father permitted - which was everything other than being excused crucifixion.

Indeed,people could access God's healing powers through Jesus without him even knowing - until he felt the effect of God's healing powers going out of him, and that tipped him off that someone had accessed God through him, without even asking. By implication, the Syrio - phoenecian woman and the centurion didn't even need to talk Jesus into doing the healing. They only need to have faith in Jesus and pray for the healing to be done and Jesus could do nothing to stop it, even if he knew. You don't even ned the hem of his robe, as physical contact is certainly not a requirement since the crucifixion. After all someone can even cast out demons in Jesus' name (Luke 9.49) without going near him nor his disciples.

So, as I say, I am not a theologian, but wholly man and wholly God seems clear enough and answers the OP q. Of course Jesus felt pain on the cross.

But I suspect that doctrine never leaves anything simple, and there is some religious insistence that this human envelope has to be doctrinally identical with God in a way that doesn't seem feasible, possible or practical. Or even necessary.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:47 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,085 times
Quote:

If God, in the person of Jesus Christ, did NOT suffer real pain and real death upon the cross then the whole thing was pointless. The whole point of crucifixion is pain and death. Brutality. Jesus didn't die from getting knocked down in a pillow fight.

BTW there are a number of secular accounts of a popular 'magician' in Israel in those days. Accounts have been recorded that this person was publicly humiliated and executed and that there were powerful earthquakes and storms noticed across the Roman Empire when this man died. There are also accounts that state the 'magician' had risen from the dead. All of these are reported by men who are otherwise considered to be accurate and true regarding other accounts of other events. The Bible is not alone in recording Jesus actions, death and resurrection.

THE POINT to Jesus' death upon the cross is not that you can feel His pain, but that He could feel YOURS.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft…

PS
Jesus lived sin-free because He was conceived of the Holy Spirit - of God. The Freedom Jesus enjoyed was the ability to defeat temptation - to NOT yield to the power of sin. Every other man ever born has suffered temptation and yielded to sin. Jesus was tempted, yet did not sin. He could beat sin at it's own game. Most men don't even know they're affected by sin (until it's too late) and thus can't even come close to resistance.

The beauty of being born again is that a sinner can be regenerated into the kind of person who, like Jesus, DOES NOT HAVE TO SIN. The unregenerate sinner has no choice. The unsaved sinner has to sin. The born again man does not. For the saved, temptation still happens, but like Jesus the saved can beat it.

Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
Because he was also fully God. Only God could be sinless.

Old 01-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Isn't it nice when we all agree? We all seem to think that Jesus indeed felt pain on the cross, except for the muslims who, for some odd reason, believe that he sent in a pinch -hitter.

Anybody want to argue that Jesus did not feel pain during the crucifixion? And if not, how so?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity