Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM

285 posts, read 1,205,740 times

Advertisements

These 2 denominations would be the only churches I would join in the whole christianity of denominations. Well also the MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) as well.
BUT
What is the difference besides the fact they're liberal and that UCC is protestant and Episcopal is half protestant and half catholic!

Episcopal is half catholic right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 03:41 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
When I was attending an Episcopal Church I used to refer to myself as "English Catholic." I could recommend them as a good place to go if a little on the formal side, they are not as structured as the Roman Rite masses I have attended. I really don't know anything about the UCC except that they appear to have a "reformed" theology. I don't know how important theology is to you but I would not touch them with a 10 foot pole if that is the case.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:07 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
As a child I was baptized Baptist, then Catholic as my best friend was Catholic. However, I consider myself a New Testament Christian, and when I moved to Texas I began looking for a church. Two years ago, I went through a tribulation I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. I lived next door to where a church was temporarily holding services, and I could see it from my home. Out of the blue (the Lord speaking to me), without any planning, I thought "I'm gonna go to church".

I walked into this temporary building for a church I was unfamiliar with, and was immediately greeted by a woman who, metaphoracially (sp) speaking, enveloped me in God's love. From that moment on, I felt I belonged to that congregation, that church. I "took" to the pastor/reverend/minister/priest as well as the other regulars in the church. When I moved back to Michigan, I visited many churches trying to find one that "fit" me like this one, where I felt so totally welcomed and comfortable, and did not find one I "bonded" with. So it was with much happiness and thanksgiving that the Lord led me back to Texas, and the area where my church is.

That church is..........Episcopal. I do not consider the Catholic religion one that I would ever be a member of again. However, this church has been described to me as "Catholic Lite", and I like that. I recite the Niceen (sp) creed but do not recite that "I believe in one Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church". Other than this, I believe in and enjoy this particular Episcopal church. Everything about this particular church and congregation has "spoiled" me.

God Bless You in your search for a church home.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:05 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
These 2 denominations would be the only churches I would join in the whole christianity of denominations. Well also the MCC (Metropolitan Community Church) as well.
BUT
What is the difference besides the fact they're liberal and that UCC is protestant and Episcopal is half protestant and half catholic!

Yes they are both liberal. A third denomination that is equally liberal and open and accepting towards Gay people is The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.

The Episcopal Church is very different from the United Church of Christ. Not in it's polity towards Gay people, but in it's doctrinal stance.

The Episcopal Church, officially The Protestant Episcopal Church in America is a sacerdotal church. This means it celebrates sacraments. Sacraments are outward acts that confer God's grace and make sacred the recipient. In the Episcopal Church, there are two sacraments - baptism and Holy Eucharist. (Communion) Communion is thought of as more than symbolic.

The Episcopal Church is also a liturgical church. This means that services are more formal and include responsive readings. There is a liturgical year, and certain holidays in the church year or liturgical year are observed with scripture readings that are relevant to the times of the year, such as Advent and Pentecost.

Churches tend to be ornate, with the priest's vestments matching the time of the church year. For example red for Pentecost.

Other liturgical and sacerdotal churches are Roman Catholic and Lutheran.

The United Church of Christ could not be more different from the Episcopal Church. It is not a liturgical church and it's background is Reformed. Similar to Presbyterian, Reformed Church in America, Dutch Reformed etc. It's roots are derived from reformers John Knox and John Calvin.

Services are simple and so are the church buildings themselves. Think of the white steepled, white clapboard churches in New England.

Communion or Lord's Supper is celebrated only once a month. It is not a sacrament and it bestows no grace upon the recipient. It, along with baptism are referred to as "Ordinances of the Church".
Ordinance, because they were the two things that Jesus Christ ordered his believers to practice.

The services are reverent, but more free form, and tend to vary more from on congregation to the other. Which brings us to another difference. The UCC (Formerly the Congregational Church) is congregational in polity. Each church is self governing. They are members of an association of churches that hold the same beliefs, but there is no bishop.

I should add that not every UCC (or Episcopal Church) is "open and accepting". Many are. But not all.

The Worship experience is very different at the two churches. If you like one, you most likely will not like the other.

Both have much to offer. However, they are very different in doctrine and practice.

I hope that this was of help to you.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
BUT

No. The Episcopal Church is not "half catholic." It is catholic, as is the Evangelical Lutheran Church, in that it adheres to the ancient creeds, and ascribes to Apostolic Succession.

Catholic as in universal. With a lower case "c". Not Roman Catholic, which is a religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity