Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times

Advertisements

You guys say stripper like it's a bad thing. Don't they prefer to be called "Self-employed Model"?

To the O.P., if you go, be moral and go under the guise of being the designated driver. Pretend that you're at a firehouse and drink a ginger ale.

To those bragging about how righteous liberals are; didn't Jesus say that the Harlot would get into heaven before the teeth-grinding angry liberal? Didn't he say something to the effect that if the Harlot got in, all would be fine, but if the angry teeth-grinding liberal got in, he'd ruin it for everybody? There's a verse in that bible about that somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 PM

1,755 posts, read 2,996,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You guys say stripper like it's a bad thing. Don't they prefer to be called "Self-employed Model"?

To the O.P., if you go, be moral and go under the guise of being the designated driver. Pretend that you're at a firehouse and drink a ginger ale.

To those bragging about how righteous liberals are; didn't Jesus say that the Harlot would get into heaven before the teeth-grinding angry liberal? Didn't he say something to the effect that if the Harlot got in, all would be fine, but if the angry teeth-grinding liberal got in, he'd ruin it for everybody? There's a verse in that bible about that somewhere.
what?? teeth grinding liberal is in the bible now?

This is too good.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,423,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSlave View Post
You are right that we do not get to say what is ok for others but Gods does.
If such a being exists then _maybe_ he does but I would certainly question such a dictatorship.

However what is not ok is people espousing their own judgemental opinion of others and their life - and simply tacking god on to the end of it and pretending said god agrees with them.

We see THAT much too often in this world. Like only recently the politician who claims Jesus endores her.

There is a vast vast difference between god saying something - and people putting words in their gods mouth.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
"ok" by your standards, but Christians believe God holds us to different standards, ones where this is not "ok".
Some do. Some do not. You most certainly do not speak for all Christians. Or any christians other than yourself. There are so many different cults - religions - groups - and more going under the title "Christian" that it is purely a joke to suggest that there is any one thing Christians think.

This need you have to endorse your own judgmental opinions with the imagined agreement of other Christians or even god itself belies the weakness those positions have for any grounding in actual arguments or evidence.

Many people around the word have multiple partners or wives. I see no argument to suggest this is not ok. Certainly not if that argument is “It is not ok because my imagined god agrees with me that it is not ok”.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:58 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Some do. Some do not. You most certainly do not speak for all Christians. Or any christians other than yourself. There are so many different cults - religions - groups - and more going under the title "Christian" that it is purely a joke to suggest that there is any one thing Christians think.

This need you have to endorse your own judgmental opinions with the imagined agreement of other Christians or even god itself belies the weakness those positions have for any grounding in actual arguments or evidence.

Many people around the word have multiple partners or wives. I see no argument to suggest this is not ok. Certainly not if that argument is “It is not ok because my imagined god agrees with me that it is not okâ€.
I have said nothing "judgemental", I have simply stated that Christians understand God has different standards for His people.

Other people around the world will always do what they have done for eons. Christians simply strive to do what we know God is calling us to do.

I do not ever attempt to speak for "all Christians" because #1 not all Christians are the same.

And some who call themselves Christians really aren't.

When I mention a "Christian belief" I am speaking of mainstream Christianity, not the folks on the fringe or extremists.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,459,775 times
how low must our standards get? next question will be " is it wrong for a christian to become a stripper for extra cash?"

Old 05-16-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I have said nothing "judgemental"
Your exact words were "things that went on in ancient cultures are not the way live today - multiple wives ARE NOT okay."

I am pointing out that this is judgemental nonsense. Many people in fact do live such lives and it is perfectly ok.

Perhaps it is not for YOU but that is fine - because no one is asking YOU to engage in it. But that other people do is perfectly ok - and that is not going to change simply because it is not ok for YOU.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torpedos View Post
how low must our standards get? next question will be " is it wrong for a christian to become a stripper for extra cash?"
Never heard of stripping for donations?
But, they do fleece the flock.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Hello, monumentus and lovesMountains. Okay now, who's Mary and who's the little lamb?

I'd say there's more reason to think it's a "sin" than to think otherwise.

Matthew 5:28
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

1 John 2:16-17
For all that is in the world—the desires of the flesh and the desires of the eyes and pride in possessions—is not from the Father but is from the world. And the world is passing away along with its desires, but whoever does the will of God abides forever.

Galatians 5:19-21
Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,... drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:45 PM

130 posts, read 226,126 times
Lusting over a stripper is a sin

"Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body."

1 Corinthians 6:18

"So flee youthful passions and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, along with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart."

-2 Timothy 2:22

"But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust in his eye has already committed adultery with her in his heart."

-Matthew 5:28

"For lust is a shameful sin, a crime that should be punished. It is a devastating fire that destroys to hell."

-Job 31:11
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity