Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,656,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
What on earth... Who are you, again? To just jump in the middle of a conversation and proclaim that no one's talking?
Your off topic. The post is regarding it being wrong for Christians to have strippers at their bachelor Party. The question has been answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,407,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Your off topic. The post is regarding it being wrong for Christians to have strippers at their bachelor Party. The question has been answered.
I respectfully disagree. I consider the question "Why would anyone do this anyway?" relevant to whether it should be perceived as wrong or right. Furthermore, the last post by the OP himself read:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Wasnt really an issue of: Im not sure, lemme ask to see if its okay. What I seem to see it alot of Christians, atleast many I have know, have no problem having strippers at their bachelors/bachelorette party's and while others are 100% against it. The responses are pretty much: NO, you should know better or YES, stop being a uptight Christian and have fun.
Hardly a shut case, IMO. But of course the mods can lock the thread anyway. I just thought it odd you would pop up to say the conversation's over when it clearly isn't.

Old 06-13-2014, 02:42 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,436,488 times
Quote:
To some people, sure. I'm just speaking for myself here.
And a sample set of one does not really address the points I am making alas.

Quote:
The irony is that you're going to have those impulses one way or another
Sometimes of course. But we are a species that has learned how to super-stimulate existing evolved attributes. Including our desires. And as I said that can be an end in and of itself.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
The irony is that you're going to have those impulses one way or another, even if - no, likely especially if you make it a point to minimize your exposure to adult female nudity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Sometimes of course. But we are a species that has learned how to super-stimulate existing evolved attributes. Including our desires. And as I said that can be an end in and of itself.
That doesn't explain or justify anyone watching strippers, though, because you can get the same super-stimulation by first desensitizing yourself as MysticPhD was talking about. I did hear your argument that nudity in and of itself will not desensitize you, and I actually agree. But when it's in an effort to stimulate the sexual desire (as you have pointed out as an end in and of itself)? Absolutely not, because that's what we're desensitizing by sort of minimizing how much nudity we see and definitely controlling where we see it (to the best of our ability).

Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 AM

45,755 posts, read 27,404,148 times
From page 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Im there for the bachelor party, it is his friend that decided there will likely be a stripper. I have said many times I wouldn't get one if I had a party because I dont believe a Christian should have them at those and I was told to lighten up or that I was a uptight Christian for saying that.
WHO told you that? God, the Holy Spirit, people who fear God... or people living for the world?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:10 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,292,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Let me ask this.

Is going to a party to observe strippers something that is a God-honoring?
No. Neither is eating chocolate cake or watching The Bachelor. Not every move in life has to "honor God". Sometimes just having fun and enjoying yourself is a good idea.

As for strippers, why look to religion to control you? Do what you want - strippers are harmless

Old 06-16-2014, 04:04 AM

Quote:
That doesn't explain or justify anyone watching strippers
I think it goes some way to do the former. As I said we enjoy stimulating our desiries sometimes just as much as we enjoy satisfying them. So it very much does explain why we might enjoy watching strippers.

As for "justifying" it - I see no reason to do so. I see nothing wrong with it to "justify" in the first place.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I think it goes some way to do the former. As I said we enjoy stimulating our desiries sometimes just as much as we enjoy satisfying them. So it very much does explain why we might enjoy watching strippers.

As for "justifying" it - I see no reason to do so. I see nothing wrong with it to "justify" in the first place.
But seeing as how people can get satisfaction via stimulation of these senses without strippers, it all eventually comes back to the same question, "Why strippers?" Why does anyone want to see them, when they don't need to. (And of course, if anyone needs to, an even bigger "Why?")

Especially when it comes to Christians, I find the standard argument against their refusal to take part in this stuff is that they're sexually repressed or some such. But maybe they just... need less, to reach the same end. Idk, food for thought. It certainly rings true for me.

Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
But seeing as how people can get satisfaction via stimulation of these senses without strippers, it all eventually comes back to the same question, "Why strippers?"
An extremely pedantic and pointless question. If something can be stimulated in more than one way then one can always ask the question "Why that one and not this one".

I fail to see the grounding of "Why Strippers" except to simply reply "Why not strippers?"

Quote:
Why does anyone want to see them, when they don't need to.
What has "need" got to do with it? We as a species do many many many MANY things we do not "need" to do. Why go to a movie theatre to watch a movie if you do not "need" to for example? Why do anything except sit an eat and breath?

When did "need" get trotted into this? Just to move the goal posts or what?

Old 06-17-2014, 09:05 AM

12,688 posts, read 6,762,050 times
Quote:
Is it wrong for Christians to have strippers at their Bachelor/Bachelorette Party?
Yep. It's wrong for any Christian who is worthy of the title. Hiring strippers so that they can be ogled and lusted after pretty blatantly contradicts, "But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman [or man as the case may be] lustfully has already committed adultery with her [him] in his heart." If strippers don't do anything for you (which sounds awfully contrived to me), it's a fairly safe bet that they do something for one of the guests at your party. So you're causing others to sin. If you have "Christian" friends who hire strippers for parties, they are hypocrites. One would certainly doubt their Christianity if they think it's appropriate.

I gotta say, love easy questions! Still, it's more than a little disturbing that anyone is even asking this one. Have Christian values deteriorated that much??

Last edited by godofthunder9010; 06-17-2014 at 09:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity