Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The point of my question got lost in the shuffle.

I assume scholars are looking at a very ancient text of Matthew. They are reading it word for word, or character for character if you want, and they come to this verse. Now either the Son is mentioned there or He isn't. Forget about "Why is it significant?" That's not my question. My question is, "If the Son is not mentioned, why did someone insert Him? If the Son IS mentioned, why did someone remove Him?" It has to be one way or the other, and one way or the other a copier took it upon himself to alter the text in a way that dramatically affects Jesus' knowledge while He was on earth. He either knew the day and hour or He didn't and that is HUGE from a theological standpoint. One way or the other, we have some dumb scribe or copier stepping and altering sacred God-inspired scriptures and changing Jesus' nature because, I theorize, he felt that it was a bad idea to give people the notion that Jesus' Deity might be limited. And if he did it there, how many other places was it done?

It's no good for you to sweep this under the rug as some of you are trying to do. Tampering with sacred text is serious business and you are just dismissing alterations like this out of hand as an inconvenient and/or unimportant truth in an effort to minimize or eliminate the fallout.

The bold above ... thank you for making my point that there is no real significance in this issue. It's just busy work for you to try and discount the Scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 11:00 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The bold above ... thank you for making my point that there is no real significance in this issue. It's just busy work for you to try and discount the Scriptures.
(sigh) If everything that follows the bold is lost on you then I give up. I did my best. But I guess my best wasn't good enough, cause here we are back where we were before.

Hmm...I'll bet that would make a good song lyric. I should work on that.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:02 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
Maybe. But the Roman Catholic Church argued from that position for over 1000 years, convinced that they understood exactly God and His nature, and murdered anyone who deviated from their position of infallibility as they claimed to understand it. The only difference between the Roman Catholic leaders of the Middle Ages and the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik in place today is that the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik cannot murder people like me who call them out. Otherwise there's not a dime's worth of difference between them. Carlton Pearson can tell you all about what happens to someone who is stupid enough to go against the vaunted positions and the power that the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik. Notice I didn't use the word, "beliefs" because beliefs have nothing to do with theological positions. Theological positions are what place you and keep you in power. Beliefs are of no consequence to the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik. If the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik can keep 98% of Christian Fundamentalists standing on the position that eternal torment is Biblical (and universal redemption is heresy) that's all that matter to the Christian Fundamentalist Corporate apparatchik if that position keeps them in power over a dumbed-down Christian congregation.
Yeah but that is stereotyping a bit. I don't think that everyone who claimed to know God actually knows God, but the fact that some claimed it and reacted so contrarywise doesn't mean that others didn't know the Truth.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Yeah but that is stereotyping a bit. I don't think that everyone who claimed to know God actually knows God, but the fact that some claimed it and reacted so contrarywise doesn't mean that others didn't know the Truth.
That's logical, and I admit I am stereotyping a bit. But my exposure to what's going on in the Christian world doesn't extend much beyond what I see on TBN when I pass by on the tube or tune in for laughs to one of their Beg-a-thons, news stories like the Carlton Pearson one I mentioned in another thread here on Bible canon, and stories of Senate investigations on crooks like Copeland, Hinn, Dollar, Jakes and assorted other scoundrels and them stonewalling any attempts to have their financial books (both sets) scrutinized by the committee. Just good 'ol Christian-values "business-as-usual" for them. And these are the people running the Fundamentalist hierarchy today. It's no wonder we're all so screwed up theologically.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That's logical, and I admit I am stereotyping a bit. But my exposure to what's going on in the Christian world doesn't extend much beyond what I see on TBN when I pass by on the tube or tune in for laughs to one of their Beg-a-thons, news stories like the Carlton Pearson one I mentioned in another thread here on Bible canon, and stories of Senate investigations on crooks like Copeland, Hinn, Dollar, Jakes and assorted other scoundrels and them stonewalling any attempts to have their financial books (both sets) scrutinized by the committee. Just good 'ol Christian-values "business-as-usual" for them. And these are the people running the Fundamentalist hierarchy today. It's no wonder we're all so screwed up theologically.
No - they aren't running anything on a large scale. They do not represent a large group of people. Please do not link these people with standard Christianity.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,034,427 times
Quote:
I can't remember the last time I even seen even a portion of TBN.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:11 PM

796 posts, read 859,156 times
Quote:
Well don't look at "money-changers-r-us" and take a look at Christianity. Almost none of it is on TV.

Oh and those are not Fundamentalist either. You need to learn of what you speak before you post ignorant untruths such as this. This is of course typical on this forum.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,638,670 times
Quote:
Somebody please explain this to me:

Matthew 24:36

Now check out the SAME verse from three other translations:
There is no issue or contradiction.

Depending on translation, they may be using a different method of interpretation (formal, dynamic, equivalents). It may be a slight variation in the manuscript evidence which variants do not change the overall message of the Scriptures.

I do not agree with the multitude of translations nor the paraphrasing of God's Word. I recommend either the King James Version or the NASB which both use formal equivalents (give you more what was said word for word without paraphrase).

Old 06-17-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
(sigh) If everything that follows the bold is lost on you then I give up. I did my best. But I guess my best wasn't good enough, cause here we are back where we were before.

Hmm...I'll bet that would make a good song lyric. I should work on that.
You give up what? ... the only thing I see you gave up was answering my question...

What are you trying to do?

Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM

Personally, I think we've beaten this horse into pulp. If the megapastors on TBN, God Network, and a couple of other money-cranking stations are not representative of the Fundamentalist position then I apologize to plain and simple and to others whom I offended. I reiterate: my position is not to denigrate the Bible as a whole and to place it in the same category as a phone book. My intention is to wake up some of the people in here to the realization that it is not an error-free document that exists as if God Himself picked up a pen and scribbled it out. The apostles who wrote it probably got it right but God chose not to preserve those documents. What we got instead was a book of 50th generation copies filled with inaccuracies but still containing enough of an important, spirit-saving message of Jesus dying to save men from their sins. In the long run, that's all one needs to take away from it in order to be saved.

So, far as this thread goes I'm outta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity