Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 07:53 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,957 times

Advertisements

I thought some of you might enjoy this article/blog. You may even be able to identify with some of it.

10 Things You Can't Do While Following Jesus - Mark Sandlin | God's Politics Blog | Sojourners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I thought some of you might enjoy this article/blog. You may even be able to identify with some of it.
10 Things You Can't Do While Following Jesus - Mark Sandlin | God's Politics Blog | Sojourners
I think every Christian should read it . . . but few will, I suspect. So here is the list:

10) Exclude people because they practice another religion.

9) Exclude people for what they look like, how they were born, or things beyond their control.

8) Withhold healthcare from people.

7) Exclude people.

6) Let people go hungry.

5) Make money more important than God (and the children of God).

4) Judge others.

3) Be physically aggressive or violent.

2) Use the church to hurt people.

1) Hate.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 AM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Still you can exclude other people who refuse to resist sin which attracts demons which will be a hazard to stabilities and peace , but if there`s not a distraction in the spirit for peace then they should included , see there are condition were believer live in the presence of the Lord and attracting demons , will send them away so they can protect the Holy Spirit ...... Then there is another thing you cannot do while following Jesus is to live a faithless sin filled life , as the devil will walk rough house all over their lives ..... See this blog is of a political ideas with some ethics of Jesus commands mix

Old 06-16-2013, 04:13 PM

796 posts, read 859,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

It's an interesting list. And I say generally correct. The exclude people part depends on the context. Jesus never excluded people when showing them the pathway to God. Jesus never invited those outside the faith into His inner circle or into any religious services he attended. Jesus gave us the command through His chosen Apostle to not be unequally yoked with an unbeliever as well. So let's keep this in it's proper context and not use it to accept as "brothers and sisters" of the faith those who are not.

I believe most Christians do quite well with this list of things. I don't see a single one that my church does not do or support.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:49 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Healthcare?? Now that's funny. From the article...

Did you ever play the game “Follow the Leader?" If you don't do what the leader does, you are out. Following means you should imitate as closely as possible. When people who were sick needed care, Jesus gave it to them. If we are following Jesus, we will imitate him as closely as possible. No, we can't repeat the miracles he did, but I've seen modern medicine do things that are about as close to a miracle as I expect to get.

Jesus did not burden anyone when He did His miracles, as does the current healthcare system. Simply amazing to use this to make a political point.

With regards to the rest of the list - #7 is basically repeated in two other instances.

I don't agree with #3 - especially if my family is threatened.

#6 is tough. I can't feed everybody if the resources aren't there. It's as though he believes Christians control the food supply. Charity - yes, but come on, famines can be tough.

The list is about 5 deep for me.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

#6 is tough. I can't feed everybody if the resources aren't there. It's as though he believes Christians control the food supply. Charity - yes, but come on, famines can be tough.
Wow. I think #6 is super-easy. There are food banks everywhere and donating to them can be as easy as buying a few extra cans of canned fruit and dropping them in the box in the entryway of the grocery store. Can we feed everyone? Sadly, no. But feeding the hungry can be as simple as making an extra sandwich in the morning and giving it to the homeless guy you see at the bus stop every morning.

That's following Jesus by doing what we can do. And hopefully, with a joyful heart. On a hot day you give a cold drink to a person who looks like he can use one. Following Jesus at the most basic level. One on one. Christian to human being whom God loves so much we cannot comprehend it.

I think it's a very important list. And I'm not surprised in the least at the resistance to it. Whatever. People can WANT to do these things or people can label it political or dangerous or insert-excuse-here for why they won't.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-16-2013 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Wow. I think #6 is super-easy. There are food banks everywhere and donating to them can be as easy as buying a few extra cans of canned fruit and dropping them in the box in the entryway of the grocery store. Can we feed everyone? Sadly, no. But feeding the hungry can be as simple as making an extra sandwich in the morning and giving it to the homeless guy you see at the bus stop every morning.

That's following Jesus by doing what we can do. And hopefully, with a joyful heart. On a hot day you give a cold drink to a person who looks like he can use one. Following Jesus at the most basic level. One on one. Christian to human being whom God loves so much we cannot comprehend it.

I think it's a very important list. And I'm not surprised in the least at the resistance to it. Whatever. You can WANT to do these things or you can label it political and make excuses why you won't.
I took #6 on a wide scale. That's how I read it. Of course you can help on a small basis. I did mention charity. Hopefully you follow what you preach. I try to be lead by the Spirit as munch as possible on those types of things. I have fell short on numerous occasions.

#8 is purely political. Linking healthcare to the miracles of Christ... I'm not buying it - not in today's version of what's proposed as health care.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:47 PM

63,849 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Default The responses were as expected so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think every Christian should read it . . . but few will, I suspect. So here is the list:

9) Exclude people for what they look like, how they were born, or things beyond their control.

7) Exclude people.

6) Let people go hungry.

4) Judge others.

1) Hate.
The injunction to not exclude people was listed 3 times for a reason. It is the single most un-Christ-like aspect of so many Christian denominations. Christ ate, drank, associated with and met with all who would listen to Him, period. Christians who think themselves exclusive and special to God because of their claims and choices are NOT acting like Christ.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:44 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,935,370 times
Quote:

7) Exclude people.

6) Let people go hungry.

4) Judge others.

1) Hate.
Read down that list, then think of all the politicians, including a former US President, and elitists who claim to be Christian Fundamentalists. Then think of how many of those tenants they've broken. Pretty sickening, I'd say.

Quote:
Christians who think themselves exclusive and special to God because of their claims and choices are NOT acting like Christ.
Not to divert the thread, but this is how the doctrine of eternal torment got started. I've never met a proponent of eternal torment yet who didn't believe he was exempted from it and on his way to heaven in a fiery chariot.

Old 06-16-2013, 06:50 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,801,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Read down that list, then think of all the politicians, including a former US President, and elitists who claim to be Christian Fundamentalists. Then think of how many of those tenants they've broken. Pretty sickening, I'd say.
Oops! Watch out for #4!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity