Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 09:12 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It's a hoax. Nothing to be seen there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Hoax, pure and simple. All mediums are phonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
How do you know this to be a fact, Thrill?
He can be fairly certain since she seems to be making her living off of it. This does not mean that ALL are. Truly spiritual people who have such gifts would never dream of employing them in the service of earning money. They would have gainful employment and freely use their gifts for good. No truly enlightened soul could ever do otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He can be fairly certain since she seems to be making her living off of it. This does not mean that ALL are. Truly spiritual people who have such gifts would never dream of employing them in the service of earning money. They would have gainful employment and freely use their gifts for good. No truly enlightened soul could ever do otherwise.
Why?

Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
I don't disagree that she could be using her gift unwisely, but that does not make her a "hoax".

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Why?
Because if she is truly spiritual . . . she would have some sensitivity to God and His love. Such a gift is unlike any of our worldly gifts and abilities used in employment. You cannot legitimately encounter the reality of God without completely changing your focus and concerns in life . . . away from things worldly. Even thinking about violating the purity of such a wonderful gift from God by employing it in the service of earning money should be anathema to any truly spiritual soul.
Quote:
I don't disagree that she could be using her gift unwisely, but that does not make her a "hoax".
That would be why I said "fairly certain," Pleroo.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Because if she is truly spiritual . . . she would have some sensitivity to God and His love. Such a gift is unlike any of our worldly gifts and abilities used in employment. You cannot legitimately encounter the reality of God without completely changing your focus and concerns in life . . . away from things worldly. Even thinking about violating the purity of such a wonderful gift from God by employing it in the service of earning money should be anathema to any truly spiritual soul.
That would be why I said "fairly certain," Pleroo.
I still disagree ... doesn't happen often with you Mystic so i'm going to enjoy it a little .

I don't think the fact that someone would use the gift of mediumship in an unwise or mercernary way is any indication at all of whether or not they truly possess that gift. A person can be a medium and encounter the spirit world without encountering God. It seems likely to me (only based on watching the show occasionally and putting that together with descriptions I have read of the spirit world) that she is in contact with people that have passed that are earth-bound or perhaps in a "lower level" of the spirit world. Those spirits would not likely be in any position to introduce Theresa to higher spiritual principles.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I still disagree ... doesn't happen often with you Mystic so i'm going to enjoy it a little .

I don't think the fact that someone would use the gift of mediumship in an unwise or mercenary way is any indication at all of whether or not they truly possess that gift. A person can be a medium and encounter the spirit world without encountering God. It seems likely to me (only based on watching the show occasionally and putting that together with descriptions I have read of the spirit world) that she is in contact with people that have passed that are earth-bound or perhaps in a "lower level" of the spirit world. Those spirits would not likely be in any position to introduce Theresa to higher spiritual principles.
Enjoy, my friend . . . it is OK to be wrong!!! God forgives us all. J/K I can accept this line of reasoning. Having encountered "transients" during transition to the deeper states of meditation . . . I can attest that not everything that we experience from those levels of being are positive or enlightened.Still . . . I DID say only "fairly certain."

Old 06-20-2013, 12:17 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times
Quote:
Because if she is truly spiritual . . . she would have some sensitivity to God and His love.
Why?

There are Biblical examples of witches that are not God worshipers.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:22 AM

5,520 posts, read 7,116,718 times
I decided to surf the net about this topic and came accross a real interesting blog about "Familair Spirits and the Long Island Medium".

It's a good read...

A Walk Through the Kingdom: Familiar Spirits and the Long Island Medium

Old 06-20-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Enjoy, my friend . . . it is OK to be wrong!!! God forgives us all. J/K
Wrong? What's that feel like, Mystic?

Quote:
I can accept this line of reasoning. Having encountered "transients" during transition to the deeper states of meditation . . . I can attest that not everything that we experience from those levels of being are positive or enlightened.Still . . . I DID say only "fairly certain."
Admit it ... it's not even fairly certain. You're wrong, Thrill is wrong, everybody is wrong ... except me.

Seriously, one of the reasons I participate on threads that pertain to this subject is because I'm working out whether or not the things that make sense in my own head, still make sense when I write them out and get feedback from others. So far, nothing anyone has said here has convinced me that people like Theresa aren't likely to have contact with people who have passed into the spirit realm.

I'm sure mediums vary greatly in their ability to discern the true identity and spiritual state of spirits, as well as in their knowledge and/or willingness to use their ability for truly loving purposes, for both the people on this side and the people in the spirit realm. I do believe there are probably mediums who are more advanced in those areas than it seems Theresa may be.

Or it's all hooey, there is no spirit realm and every medium is delusional.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
I may be wrong, and some of the comments indicate that in at least some instances I am, but I have the feeling that consulting mediums is an attempt to find a way to control or manipulate circumstances around the seeker. i am uneasy about it and that's my two cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity