Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM

45,724 posts, read 27,348,625 times

Advertisements

Whatever the numerical day of the month is, pick out a verse (or two) in the Proverbs chapter of the day and expound.

Today - July 16th

Proverbs 16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the LORD.

Every thing that occurs - down to the simple roll of the dice - is under the control of the Lord. Somethings make you want to ask why? But the best response is to trust the Lord in all things.

And it doesn't have to be one verse per day - it can be multiple posts from different verses in Chapter 16 (today).

Last edited by DRob4JC; 07-16-2013 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,044,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whatever the numerical day of the month is, pick out a verse (or two) in the Proverbs chapter of the day and expound.

Today - July 16th

Proverbs 16:33 - The lot is cast into the lap, But its every decision is from the LORD.

Every thing that occurs - down to the simple roll of the dice - is under the control of the Lord. Somethings make you want to ask why? But the best response is to trust the Lord in all things.
What about the choice of a man to believe?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:48 PM

What about it?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,713,628 times
Thanks DRob4JC for starting this thread. It will be nice to read what different individuals enjoy reading what the Lord reveals to them out of the book of Proverbs.

I've always enjoyed reading it and have learned much from it......
As we read and see that the subject matter of Proverbs is broad, dealing with all of life under the sun. It is concerned that God's people should know how to live life before God and man.
As we read and ponder upon it and learn from one another that the wisdom coming from God through the book of Proverbs is emphasizing the acceptable moral and religious behavior that pleases our God, amen !!

v.20 He who heeds the word wisely will find good, and whoever trusts in the Lord, happy is he.

The believer knows that the word of God is for instruction or counsel in/for our life.
We can read in reference to verse 20, Proverbs 13:14... The law of the wise is a fountain of life, to turn one away from the snares of death.

Blessings

Old 07-16-2013, 08:31 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,426,926 times
Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the Soul and healing to the bones.
He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, And he who rules his Spirit,
than he who captures a city.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:50 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,954,601 times
Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor;
it is attained in the way of righteousness.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:50 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,519,627 times
As my friend Cyber said .. Thanks DRob4JC for starting this thread.

Advice about keeping the wife happy:
Proverbs 21:9
Better to live on a corner of the roof
than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Proverbs 21:19
Better to live in a desert
than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife.

Proverbs 27:15
A quarrelsome wife is like the dripping of a leaky roof in a rainstorm;
restraining her is like restraining the wind or grasping oil with the hand.
Advice about the value on having a wife with good character:
Proverbs 31:10
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,954,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Old 07-17-2013, 07:18 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,713,628 times
Chapter 17
Proverbs for Life and Conduct

v.13 Whoever rewards evil for good, evil will not depart from his house.

Let us remember that the wise do not return evil for good. The NT teaches us to go beyond this, even to return good for evil (Rom.12:17, 21).
Learning to live vv. 28-29 He who has knowledge spares his words, and a man of understanding is of a calm spirit.
Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace; when he shuts his lips, he is considered perceptive.

.... we should know that self-discipline under God is the way to holy living, pleasing to our Father. Know that there is no attitude more godly than to forgive or to overlook a wrong, rather then un-forgiveness, a bad attitude and reward with evil !!

vv. 28-29 is the very reason I do not reply back to some post here. I have learned this and it took some time, yet, in my heart of hearts I desire to do all there is in obeying and to be pleasing to my God.

v.17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

We do know that a true friend and brother becomes known when trouble comes.....

One who knows Christ in their life and has that intimate walk, a deep relationship knows that no matter who or what may come upon our life experiences that He will always have our backs, standing by our side interceding for our lives. Keeping His promise that He will never leave us nor forsake us, amen !!
Just like the later part of Proverbs 18:24 says, "But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother".....
and those who believe in Jesus Christ know He is that FRIEND !!!

Blessings

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 07-17-2013 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-17-2013, 08:10 AM

July 17

Proverbs 17:1 - Better is a dry morsel and quietness with it Than a house full of feasting with strife.

In this country, many adore the lifestyle of the rich and famous. We see the big houses, and nice cars, and travel. We don't see the trouble inside of the houses. We don't think about the numerous divorces and drug habits and diseases from bad sexual habits.

God stresses that we should be content with what He provides to us.

Philippians 4:11 - Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

1 Timothy 6:8 - If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content.

Hebrews 13:5 - Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU," (CAPS are from NASB)

----------------------------

Cyber Munchkin - That's a good reminder on your first point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity