Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,201,874 times

Advertisements

Got a question for ya. You keep telling us that God is so loving, he just COULDN'T send a person to hell.

How do you know that? What do you base that on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:44 PM

20,022 posts, read 13,496,411 times
I'm not a Universalist but I think the general idea is that nothing anyone could possibly do is worthy of eternal torture. Even we evil humans consider torture for a finite time to be a crime against humanity, particularly when it is done simply because someone has offended the ego of some absolute ruler. How much more heinous is torture with no hope of rehabilitation, which is the whole purpose of enlightened punishment anyway, to cause a transgressor to see the error of their ways and alter their future behavior accordingly with the goal that they be returned to society as a productive member.

People who have a problem with the whole "love me or I'll torture you forever" thing on those and other common-sense grounds are one thing. I don't know or care how liberal Christians attempt to reconcile that with scripture, or if they even bother. Perhaps there is a liberal Christian who can speak to that.

Old 07-30-2013, 05:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Got a question for ya. You keep telling us that God is so loving, he just COULDN'T send a person to hell.

I'm not a universalist either, nor do I necessarily think of the Creator as "loving," but if there is such a being, why would he bother with something as barbaric as hell anyway? Seems childish, at best.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post

No, the bible you say you believe in states God IS Love.How do we know God could not do such a thing?, the bible you say you believe in states it.

Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]
1 Cor 13:4-5 & 7

Love does not pay attention to anything but love

Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No, the bible you say you believe in states God IS Love.How do we know God could not do such a thing?, the bible you say you believe in states it.

Love endures long and is patient and kind; love never is envious nor boils over with jealousy, is not boastful or vainglorious, does not display itself haughtily.
It is not conceited (arrogant and inflated with pride); it is not rude (unmannerly) and does not act unbecomingly. Love (God’s love in us) does not insist on its own rights or its own way, for it is not self-seeking; it is not touchy or fretful or resentful; it takes no account of the evil done to it [it pays no attention to a suffered wrong].Love bears up under anything and everything that comes, is ever ready to believe the best of every person, its hopes are fadeless under all circumstances, and it endures everything [without weakening]
1 Cor 13:4-5 & 7

Love does not pay attention to anything but love
Seems some parts of the NT conflict with your opinion. God is love, but not all lovey dovey. Wrath and destroy. Not so happy, happy. With that said, this thread needs to be move to the so called "Christian" section.

John 3:36 says, Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Matt 10:28 says, Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Seems some parts of the NT conflict with your opinion. God is love, but not all lovey dovey. Wrath and destroy. Not so happy, happy. With that said, this thread needs to be move to the so called "Christian" section.

John 3:36 says, Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Matt 10:28 says, Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
Here come the Calvary. The wrath of God is upon unbelief,how many times do you do need this pointing out to you. Your concept of God being wrathful is what Keeps that wrath upon you. The wrath of God is upon your concept of Christanity and projected upon all who give an ear to it. It is better to cut that ear off to that which is offensive to a sound mind and enter life maimed than heed that which is being passed off as Christianity.

Moderator cut: deleted

Last edited by june 7th; 07-31-2013 at 10:20 AM.. Reason: Sarcastic comment intended to illicit response setting up flame wars.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:41 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:

Good point 5150. The Bible IS inconsistent and contradictory on this subject, along with many other subjects. So, both points of view are equally valid, if you use the Bible as a resource.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Good point 5150. The Bible IS inconsistent and contradictory on this subject, along with many other subjects. So, both points of view are equally valid, if you use the Bible as a resource.
Only when you read it like a literal history book, and believe men were inspired to accredit God for the the atrocities they were committing.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:04 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,552,619 times
Quote:
Here come the Calvary. The wrath of God is upon unbelief,how many times do you do need this pointing out to you. Your concept of God being wrathful is what Keeps that wrath upon you. The wrath of God is upon your concept of Christanity and projected upon all who give an ear to it. It is better to cut that ear off to that which is offensive to a sound mind and enter life maimed than heed that which is being passed off as Christianity.

Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned response

Quote:
Only when you read it like a literal history book, and believe men were inspired to accredit God for the the atrocities they were committing.
Atrocities in the NT? Please explain. The Matthew quote was from Jesus. John from, John. Which of them were wrong?

Both I suppose such is your point of view. I could be wrong. But I think not.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-31-2013 at 10:22 AM..

Old 07-30-2013, 08:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Wrath and destroy.
I cannot imagine anyone worshiping that god with a cheerful heart.

I CAN imagine a lot of scared, resentful, bitter, hardened people sitting in pews, unhappy with their lives, hoping against hope that some vengeful attacking god is going to destroy everything and everyone they don't like. (But not them, of course. The other guy.)

Let's see: wrath and destroy god

or

God who loved us so much He created an Earth filled with His wonders and put us on it. Yes. I'll praise God and His infinite love for each of us. How thankful I am for never knowing this "wrath and destroy" some seem so familiar with.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 07-30-2013 at 08:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity