Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,476,645 times

Advertisements

Can Muslim women influence Christian women, or secular women for that matter, in fashion, but more precisely in wearing scarfs over the head?

I see a lot of young Muslim women from the East as students at UW-Milwaukee (secular university) and they often wear scarfs as head covering. And they look very fashionable to me.

For centuries Catholic women wore scarfs over their heads too.

At any rate... I find these Muslim women in the video below very attractive looking. Especially the first one with the gray scarf over her head. I also note they say they like the conservative family values taught at the Christian university (CUA) they attend.

Here is a short bit of info on CUA. Apparently, a "national" university for the Church of the U.S., which I had no idea there was one.

CUA: The National University of the Catholic Church - YouTube

The Muslim women:

At Catholic University, a Growing Number of Muslims - YouTube

Old 07-31-2013, 08:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,225,130 times
What is your point? Can they? Sure.....I suppose it's possible. Is it a good thing? I would doubt it.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
What is your point? Can they? Sure.....I suppose it's possible. Is it a good thing? I would doubt it.
I posted it by accident before I completed the post.

I'm just curious if others think Muslim women--in growing numbers in the U.S. and Europe--might influence aspects of Western fashion in the coming future. Returning Western fashion to being more "modest."

I don't know about Protestants but traditional Catholic teaching teaches that women (and men to some degree I guess) are supposed to dress modestly. Ergo, the covering the head in mass with mantilla or scarf. Actually, at the turn of the century European Catholic women that came to the U.S. are in black and white photos in the streets with loose dressed falling the length to their ankles and with cotton or wool scarfs over their heads.

Not that I don't like the mini skirts and Brazilian bikinis and tight jeans on women today.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 PM

Here are some images of the Virgin Mary.

Notice any similarities between the depiction of the Virgin Mary and the fashion of the Muslim women in that video?

The old maxim is that: Today's conservatives are yesterday's liberals.

There is truth in that maxim. As the French intellectual Fernand Braudel pointed out about fashion in its relation to "progressive" societies, "stable societies" have fashions that sometimes have not changed for over a thousand years. Whereas your modern progressive societies constantly have new fashion trends.

Yet... no conservative Catholics today portray the Virgin Mary in the fashion that conservative Catholic women themselves typically wear, such as attire like this:

Old 07-31-2013, 11:00 PM

65 posts, read 78,033 times
It has been a personal surprise to me that Muslims have not yet sought to capitalize on modest fashion business experience by expanding into the nonexistent Christian fashion market. That said, I do NOT think the hijab / scarves is what would attract Christian women, rather the longer skirts, long or longer sleeves, higher necklines, less tight fits, etc. Sure Christian women can find that stuff in stores, catalogs & online, but it's much harder than if there were a dedicated catalog to such items. One problem however for any Muslim wanting to pursue such business would be that Christians would be hesitant if any profits were going to advance shariah, so if somehow a business arrangement could be made to avoid that then, yes, I think there's money & a mutually beneficial arrangement to be made. But again, it's not really about the hijab & scarves, though as a fashion accessory maybe.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:53 PM

794 posts, read 847,919 times
My hope is that more muslim women will turn their eyes to Christian women and see how they have been oppressed and lied to by their men and religion all this time.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:18 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,087,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Here are some images of the Virgin Mary.

Notice any similarities between the depiction of the Virgin Mary and the fashion of the Muslim women in that video?

The old maxim is that: Today's conservatives are yesterday's liberals.

There is truth in that maxim. As the French intellectual Fernand Braudel pointed out about fashion in its relation to "progressive" societies, "stable societies" have fashions that sometimes have not changed for over a thousand years. Whereas your modern progressive societies constantly have new fashion trends.

Yet... no conservative Catholics today portray the Virgin Mary in the fashion that conservative Catholic women themselves typically wear, such as attire like this:
Well, if you can believe what Jack Chic says, The Roman Catholic Church created Islam...

Old 08-01-2013, 06:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,940,309 times
I would doubt that most Muslim women would find much attractive about western society. My guess is that they are quite well schooled in their traditional values and religion, and most would see western society as quite decadent, and are not interested in copying to the whorish behavior of many western women. My guess is that, while being confining, their society is also close knit and a place of security for them.

Traditional Christianity, with its strict moral codes might be more attractive to them, but their society is not tolerant of people who leave Islam, so that is a huge obstacle to overcome.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:21 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
My hope is that more muslim women will turn their eyes to Christian women and see how they have been oppressed and lied to by their men and religion all this time.
that would be a great thing. I think one issue that men have in the church today is that they are still kids. most muslims women stick with their husband and are faithful. I am speaking of American muslims. their divorce rate is much lower. the Christian family has been decimated, the men and women in a relationship are having a tough time sticking through tough times. our rate is not much different that the rate of nonchristians. That is a problem that is not being addressed by the church in general.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:24 PM

1,698 posts, read 1,826,214 times
You guys realize that there are Christian communities in Muslim countries, right? And that the Christian women in those countries do not wear headscarves despite how much easier it would make their lives as far as fitting in? Modest dress in Islam is also completely different from modest dress in Christianity. Can you imagine having to wear a headscarf and long sleeves and pants in 100 degree summer weather? There's a medium between being completely covered up and walking around in a thong, you know. I'd say that most American women walk that line rather admirably, don't you think? Headscarves also used to be the custom in many countries for all women, but that is obviously no longer the case.

And there's a lot of naivete on display here about Muslim women, as if wearing a headscarf means that you are pious, sweet, and submissive, with better marriages. HA! As someone who lived in a muslim country, Muslim women have the same character flaws as everyone else. In an environment where women feel compelled to dress "modestly" you also see women pushing the boundaries as much as they can, with skin-tight clothing, gaudy makeup, jewelry, etc. Divorce is not prohibited in Islam and divorce is widespread in Muslim countries. If muslims in the U.S. get divorced less it is probably due to socioeconomic factors, i.e., that they tend to be well-educated, affluent, and from "better" families. Immigrants probably feel more pressure to stay in their marriages even if they are bad as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.