Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,733,822 times

Advertisements

I Peter was written to Christians. People who were already saved.

In I Peter 5:8, the author writes:

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary, the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."

Now why is that verse written to Christians? If the devil cannot devour you, he is going to seek those that he can. But it is expressly written to Christians, because they are the food that Satan desires most. None of us would need to be sober or vigilant if there were no danger of being devoured. Devoured is complete destruction, complete disappearance from among the living.

Watch ye, therefore, and be vigilant.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I Peter was written to Christians. People who were already saved.

In I Peter 5:8, the author writes:

"Be sober, be vigilant, because your adversary, the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour."

Now why is that verse written to Christians? If the devil cannot devour you, he is going to seek those that he can. But it is expressly written to Christians, because they are the food that Satan desires most. None of us would need to be sober or vigilant if there were no danger of being devoured. Devoured is complete destruction, complete disappearance from among the living.

Watch ye, therefore, and be vigilant.
That verse does not say Satan can take away your salvation. Satan does not have the authority to take away anyone's soul.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That verse does not say Satan can take away your salvation. Satan does not have the authority to take away anyone's soul.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Then Satan can't devour Christians and Peter wrote a useless verse. Watch the videos, Finn. Those who seek shall find, those who listen to the doctrine poured out of most pulpits will continue in sin.

Smoke a Calvinist - Calvinism Robert Morey - carm - Reformed Theology - YouTube

Old 08-11-2013, 01:48 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,515,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
No, you say such things out of willful ignorance. Once a person has been saved through an initial act of faith he has been made alive. His eternal life is not dependent on his efforts at maintaining faith. Faith is simply the means by which a person receives the free gift of eternal life. Once he has eternal life he is kept by the power of God. So save your concern for yourself.

The decision that a person must make is to respond to the gospel message concerning Christ or to reject it. And that is the most important decision that anyone will ever make in their life.

And again, on another thread you implied that I am going to go to hell simply because I believe that Jesus will establish a literal Millennial kingdom on the earth when he returns.
I implied that the majority of those who embrace the theology of Millennialism are indeed going to hell.
They wrongfully believe in a different Jesus than what scriptures teach. As I have said:
As a theologian some time ago wrote:
Millennialism is to outright deny the church's hope of Christ's only return to
judgment and those who " transport it into the stratosphere of their own
esoteric speculations" belong to the scoffers who, Peter warned, would come,
"scoffing and following their own evil desires" (2 Peter 3:3).
I also repeated what was held by theologians in times past ... theologians whose education and God gifted abilities as to insight far outweigh the ones that you like to quote or link to.
  • The Augsburg Confession alludes to the origin of this error
  • Luther held the position that Millennialism is a heresy (sermon preached in 1539)
  • John Calvin wrote that the doctrine of the millenarians is a "fiction too puerile to require or deserve refutation."
-----------------------------------------------------------

It's not by accident that the scoffers who, Peter warned, would come, "scoffing and following their own evil desires" (2 Peter 3:3) also scoff when God plainly reminds believers from the errant inspired word:
Hebrews 3:14
We have come to share in Christ, if indeed we hold our original conviction firmly to the very end.

Hebrews 6:11 We want each of you to show this same diligence to the very end, so that what you hope for may be fully realized.

Hebrews 10:26
If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.

1 Timothy 1:18-20
I am giving you this command in keeping with the prophecies once made about you, so that by recalling them you may fight the battle well,
holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith. Among them are Hymenaeus and Alexander, whom I have handed over to Satan to be taught not to blaspheme.
John 15:6
If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.

John 3:36
Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.

Last edited by twin.spin; 08-11-2013 at 02:05 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 01:58 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Then Satan can't devour Christians and Peter wrote a useless verse. Watch the videos, Finn. Those who seek shall find, those who listen to the doctrine poured out of most pulpits will continue in sin.
Why do you keep saying people continue to sin? Do you know what everyone does?

You serve out of fear, but there are millions of people who serve out of pure desire to serve. Who has a purer heart, the one who wants to serve, or the one who is forced to serve?

Peter is describing Satan as someone who is looking for people to devour. It is in reference to book of Job. It does not say Satan has the authority to take away their salvation from born again Christians.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why do you keep saying people continue to sin? Do you know what everyone does?

You serve out of fear, but there are millions of people who serve out of pure desire to serve. Who has a purer heart, the one who wants to serve, or the one who is forced to serve?

Peter is describing Satan as someone who is looking for people to devour. It is in reference to book of Job. It does not say Satan has the authority to take away their salvation from born again Christians.
I desire to serve and pray each night that the opportunity will come for me to be an angel unawares to someone somewhere.

But OSAS is a license to sin while holding a ticket to heaven. It's about as anti-God, and is certainly anti-holiness as one can get. It is a calvanistic doctrine that encourages "numbers" in the search for "Christians." Living a holy life is a difficult undertaking, and therefore rejected by most and certainly rejected by the vast majority of pulpits.

When you start hearing a preacher week after week, preach on the people in the church needing to be more like Jesus, needing to undertake doing the work of Jesus, needing to be faithful day in and day out---the numbers that depart from that church are astounding. I've watched it happen myself. Today's Christians are far more comfortable hearing about the sin of "those people out there" rather than about their own. And that in itself is a departure from the messages I heard as a young man.

The church is falling away from Godly living, and Christians are comfortable dropping a few dollars in the collection plate and calling that the work of God. OSAS has had an enormous effect on that apostasy.

By the way, I am not "forced" to serve. I serve in order to be obedient. I believe in free will. The free will to choose God, and the free will to step away from him.

Adrian Rogers, the former SBC president says he believes in free will, and in this video explains it very nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bgcF0ZMJ40

Old 08-11-2013, 02:45 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,293,928 times
Quote:
I desire to serve and pray each night that the opportunity will come for me to be an angel unawares to someone somewhere.

But OSAS is a license to sin while holding a ticket to heaven. It's about as anti-God, and is certainly anti-holiness as one can get. It is a calvanistic doctrine that encourages "numbers" in the search for "Christians." Living a holy life is a difficult undertaking, and therefore rejected by most and certainly rejected by the vast majority of pulpits.

When you start hearing a preacher week after week, preach on the people in the church needing to be more like Jesus, needing to undertake doing the work of Jesus, needing to be faithful day in and day out---the numbers that depart from that church are astounding. I've watched it happen myself. Today's Christians are far more comfortable hearing about the sin of "those people out there" rather than about their own. And that in itself is a departure from the messages I heard as a young man.

The church is falling away from Godly living, and Christians are comfortable dropping a few dollars in the collection plate and calling that the work of God. OSAS has had an enormous effect on that apostasy.

By the way, I am not "forced" to serve. I serve in order to be obedient. I believe in free will. The free will to choose God, and the free will to step away from him.
Ah, the old "license to sin" argument. It's the same argument used against grace and it completely ignores Romans 6.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Serving to be obedient is putting yourself under the law. That gives sin strength in your life.

1Cr 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

670 posts, read 816,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post

Serving to be obedient is putting yourself under the law. That gives sin strength in your life.
So what your saying is
"don't try to be good and follow gods law just sin all you want and go to heaven,
but if you try to be a good person you'll go to hell."

That's such backward nonsense.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,293,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
So what your saying is
"don't try to be good and follow gods law just sin all you want and go to heaven,
but if you try to be a good person you'll go to hell."

That's such backward nonsense.
Don't twist my words. I said no such thing. If you do the same with scripture I can see why you're confused.

The purpose of the law was to show you that you can't keep it and need a savior. When you put yourself under the law, you give sin strength. In other words, the harder you try, the harder it gets. That's what the Word says, not me. We are not under the law anymore. No one can be "good" enough to get into heaven.

It's not a matter of trying hard, you have to be perfect. No one can, except Jesus. Since He was perfect and died as us, we are now in him (see 2 Cor 5:21) and have His perfection. When the Father looks at us, He sees Jesus.

You can't be good enough. Period. That's why Jesus came and died for your sins. It's grace that transforms you, not your obedience. Try reading Galatians and Hebrews sometime.

Last edited by Mike930; 08-11-2013 at 03:19 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM

13 posts, read 10,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
So a person who claims to be "saved" can commit a murder, rape, or some other heinous sin and STILL go to Heaven because YOU said that you are going to Heaven. God's opinion doesn't even matter.

Okey Dokey.

God's opinion does matter.

Anyone can claim to be "saved." Claiming to be "saved" doesn't mean that one is saved.

Some people claim to be "Christian" because they said a prayer or made promises to God, etc. but they did so without fully understanding the Gospel message and God's way of salvation therefore they are not truly saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity