Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 02:46 PM

198 posts, read 263,696 times

Advertisements

[quote=romans519;30892104]) This is the same as a preacher telling the audience that they must be water baptized to be saved.

From the mouth of Jesus Christ himself Mark 16:16 -He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,050,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I think we may be headed in the same direction, but saying it different ways. Ok, faith works by love. That's knowing that God loves us, not us trying to love God. Works flow out of knowing his love and grace. so yes, there will be works. But to say that you must work to earn salvation goes against the heart of the gospel.

1 John 4:10
In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.

That's all I have to say. If you want to work to try and earn something that's free, knock yourself out. All I can say is that I'm leaning on Him, trusting in Him and letting Him work through me. I'm blessed beyond my wildest imaginations and it's all due to the FINISHED work of Jesus.

The great part is, I am eternally secure. You can call it anything you want, it doesn't change the truth.

I am ETERNALLY SAVED.

There is nothing earned that I'm talking about at all. This is your invention. I'm not talking about any works that I do. The works that one do that are His. He has the copyright to those Good Works. If I do them they are His. He gets all the Glory even if I perform those works for which He has the copyright on. They are His works. My works are filthy and not His works.

So again, it is a STRAWMAN argument to say that I'm preaching that we have to earn anything. There is nothing in what I say that says that if the works I'm preaching are not even ours to begin with.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Context! Context! Context! You need to understand context before you jump into the boat of misunderstanding that countless believers already have. Your focus seems to be on man's part to play. But when your focus is there, its not on Jesus. As I have said many times before and will continue to say, right believing leads to right living! We sin because we are sinners. We don't become sinners because we sin. We do right when we believe right. We don't believe right when we do right. Whenever you throw things in such as sanctification process, refining, works, obedience and things of that nature then to that extent you do not believe Jesus saved you by His obedience and His finished work. To the extent you trust in those things to save you is the extent you do not trust Jesus to save you. It is this corrupt idea that we believe Jesus did it all yet we want to go back and try to mow a field that has already been mowed. The work is done. Our part is to rest in the finished work of Christ and when you do that, holiness happens by accident. You cannot tame your flesh or control it. The moment you trust in yourself to do what is right the devil has you. Look at how many people say, "Oh this will be my last cigarette." And yet they go on another 10 years smoking. There is no hope in your flesh. Stop trusting yourself and your own obedience and start trusting Jesus and HIS obedience. We are saved because Jesus obeyed where we could not. God HATES the works of man. There is nothing of value in them in the eyes of God. Jesus did not come to this world to do 30% of the work, 50% of the work, 70% of the work and leave the rest up to us. Jesus came to this world to do ALL of the work in saving us and that is exactly what He did. All the glory goes to Jesus. Any belief otherwise in saved by grace through faith in the finished work of Christ is an insult to Jesus and a boasting of your own self efforts to save you.

AMEN!!

Old 08-12-2013, 03:25 PM

794 posts, read 848,929 times
[quote=mszlady;30930999]
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
) This is the same as a preacher telling the audience that they must be water baptized to be saved.

From the mouth of Jesus Christ himself Mark 16:16 -He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned
Interesting that Jesus did not mention baptism in the end of the sentence here, isn't it? By the way, you should go read every other verse Jesus mentions salvation and notice baptism is not mentioned at all in any of them. To say baptism is required for salvation is to suggest Jesus is a liar.

Here is an article that better explains Mark 16:16.

Does Mark 16:16 teach that baptism is necessary for salvation?

Old 08-12-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
It is not "explaining away" to say that the works of Christ (unselfish) are different than the works of man or the law (selfish).

Now here is a direct question relating the following verses:

Rom 2:6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
Rom 2:7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:

Is Eternal Life rendered based on works according to those verses?

How can our "works" ever be good enough to be saved if our RIGHTEOUSNESS is as filthy rags? Isaiah 64:5-7
On our BEST day, its like dirt to God. How can that be worth saving. There's no work we can do to earn our way into heaven. Jesus paid the ultimate price. Period.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
How can our "works" ever be good enough to be saved if our RIGHTEOUSNESS is as filthy rags? Isaiah 64:5-7
On our BEST day, its like dirt to God. How can that be worth saving. There's no work we can do to earn our way into heaven. Jesus paid the ultimate price. Period.
True.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
Absolutely!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:11 PM

Good, I hope now that the point has made that OUR works cannot earn salvation. Now let's move on to the fact that HIS works (The works of Christ) are necessary for salvation.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Good, I hope now that the point has made that OUR works cannot earn salvation. Now let's move on to the fact that HIS works (The works of Christ) are necessary for salvation.
Jesus' 1 perfect work at the cross satisfied God's holy wraith against sin forever. How can any believer feel and believe that Jesus, the Son of God, was not a good enough sacrifice to pay the price for our sins? Is Jesus not of eternal value to His Father? To say otherwise is to say Jesus' sacrifice was insufficient in saving us.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,302,899 times
Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity