Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 12:52 PM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point remains that "obedience from the heart" inevitably produces good works. If good works are not present, there is no obedience from the heart, no faith and no life in Christ.
IA. James 2 says as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:53 PM

20,460 posts, read 12,853,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
Ahh, I see so you agree, that works are required. Good!
Required, no. An automatic outflow of a redeemed heart, yes.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM

6,370 posts, read 7,050,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
No. My answer is explained in this video. At 1:40 he starts talking about the verse in question here. A lot of believers misinterpret Romans 6:16 but this video explains the context of it very well.

Joseph Prince - Jesus' Righteousness Is Greater Than Adam's Sin - 19 Aug 12 - YouTube
I don't have time to watch his video at the moment.

Old 08-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
The bible never says we have been set free from the behavior of the old man (sin the verb). Believers can and will sin, but we cannot practice sin. People who sin and do not receive rebuke from God for it are not born again. If you believe in Jesus and go out and rob a bank don't you think you would feel at least some kind of spiritual guilt for your sin? I would think so. If you don't then you're just a professor of salvation, not a possessor. Why do you think people who are living sinful lifestyles keep doing it with a smile on their face? Because they are not God's children. They have not been born again so they do not receive rebuke from God for their sins.
If you cannot practice sin, then it means you must practice not sinning (Good works).

Old 08-13-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
So then, if it is not a requirement, then why should works by the basis of judgment?

Old 08-13-2013, 01:27 PM

1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1Pe 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth:
1Pe 2:23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:
1Pe 2:24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Looks like we better do Good works.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:18 PM

794 posts, read 848,929 times
Quote:
I don't have time to watch his video at the moment.
Ok, its a short video. He discusses the verse in question in this thread above at about 1:40.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:28 PM

6,674 posts, read 4,302,899 times
Quote:
I actually believe what you said about the Holy Spirit causing you to no longer want to do the things you used to. So if you believe that also, and someone claims to have the Holy Spririt then they must continue to be doing Good Works or they are not saved, correct? If you don't think so, then tell me how can one continue in bad works if they have the Holy Spirit. Isn't it a requirement of a person with the Holy Spirit to be doing Good Works?
I wouldn't set it as a requirement. Maybe were talking semantics, but it sounds close to legalism. I know people who seem to love the Lord (I say seem because I don't know their heart. There are people here who claim to be Christian, but they will tell you themselves they reject Jesus' sacrifice. Those, you can tell), go to church, but smoke like a chimney. Coming out of church I see many people who go across the street and smoke up a storm. I'm not saying smoking is a sin, but they want to stop, but they don't.

I do believe there will be fruit, but are they damned if they don't?

I think the only requirement to be saved is to accept Jesus as your savior. I don't think I've seen you say that good works are needed to be saved, but for those who say that, what about people who accept the Lord and get killed going home from church?

I always hear the "so I can kill anyone and then go to heaven" arguement for grace, but what about someone who doesn't have a chance to do the good works? It's unlikely that this scenario would happen, but more likely than a someone accepting the Lord and then deciding to be a mass murderer. It's like the thief on the cross. Same arguement for works or the need to be baptized to be saved. I've heard the thief is a special case because it was Jesus Himself that told him he would be in paradise. I don't buy it.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
So are you of the belief that any obedience is "legalism". I mean nobody I have seen in this thread is saying you have to follow the Mosaic law. So I'm under the impression that you believe obedience is legalism, correct? Jesus said He was obedient.
I think obedience is a fruit, not a requirement. Big difference.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

THIS is what I'm talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity