Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:25 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times

Advertisements

It seems like just about every huge church always preaches the prosperity gospel. Or if a new church starts up, but within 2 month is in a giant building, it is prosperity gospel again that is being preached why it has a huge following so quickly. I had a chance to visit one recently and it had the best praise and worship Ive ever been to, but after that it just seemed like manipulation.

The scripture reading had nothing to do with the message, just about giving and repeatedly trying to make you feel bad if you dont tithe and give a offering as well for extra blessings. The pastor goes on to say we dont need the OT, then quotes from Malachi about robbing God. During his message people are walking up to the front to put money on the steps in front of the pastor like its a tip for agreeing with what he is saying, so by the end of the sermon its like 50-$100+ on the steps. I know not all mega churches are like this but it was disturbing.

But on to the Prosperity gospel that so many people seem to love to hear. Its always the same message.
-Tithe or your are robbing God
-We are not under the law, but remember to tithe
-The feel good type messages
* Don't address sin as you dont want to offend anyone
* A breakthrough is coming your way real soon
* God has something special coming for you soon
* I feel a miracle is about to happen to you
* Sow this special seed and a special anointing will come
* After all the excitement above its time to give

Im all for offerings, as it is how a church pays its bills and should do stuff like missions and help the community, but it seems way to many prosperity gospels focus on money rather than salvation and how its members can live a better life by Biblical standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 10:30 AM

794 posts, read 846,804 times
Its an easy way for cons to trick people into thinking giving something to the church will be an investment that will yield a 100000% return for you in areas of your life. I think they spend more money paying people for their fake testimonies than they receive from the tithes.

Now don't get this mixed up with true prosperity. Prosperity is a blood bought right for the believer. You don't give to receive it, you simply receive it as a blessing. God wants every believer to prosper and be in health.

Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM

6,370 posts, read 7,032,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
It seems like just about every huge church always preaches the prosperity gospel. Or if a new church starts up, but within 2 month is in a giant building, it is prosperity gospel again that is being preached why it has a huge following so quickly. I had a chance to visit one recently and it had the best praise and worship Ive ever been to, but after that it just seemed like manipulation.

The scripture reading had nothing to do with the message, just about giving and repeatedly trying to make you feel bad if you dont tithe and give a offering as well for extra blessings. The pastor goes on to say we dont need the OT, then quotes from Malachi about robbing God. During his message people are walking up to the front to put money on the steps in front of the pastor like its a tip for agreeing with what he is saying, so by the end of the sermon its like 50-$100+ on the steps. I know not all mega churches are like this but it was disturbing.

But on to the Prosperity gospel that so many people seem to love to hear. Its always the same message.
-Tithe or your are robbing God
-We are not under the law, but remember to tithe
-The feel good type messages
* Don't address sin as you dont want to offend anyone
* A breakthrough is coming your way real soon
* God has something special coming for you soon
* I feel a miracle is about to happen to you
* Sow this special seed and a special anointing will come
* After all the excitement above its time to give

Im all for offerings, as it is how a church pays its bills and should do stuff like missions and help the community, but it seems way to many prosperity gospels focus on money rather than salvation and how its members can live a better life by Biblical standards.
If a pastor even ask for tithes, RUN. They are not preaching Christ. The reality is that those called in this dispensation are the new Testament equivalents of the Levitcal Priesthood. They will reign with Christ. If you recall the Levite Priests didn't pay tithes. This is why it is void in the New Testament as well. This doesn't mean your not expected as a Christian to contribute. A tithe is 10 percent. A Christian has to be ready to give up ALL He has as needed for others. And if your not willing to then it is NOT acceptable. Your not to hold back otherwise you defame (blaspheme) the Holy Spirit.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:05 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
You ought to see the fund raisers on Christian TV. For only $91 a month you can get the blessings of Psalm 91.

I guess if you don't have $91 a month to give, you're on your own. No protection for you.

It's a hoot, but I can only take so much of it.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM

60 posts, read 110,103 times
You seen this song yet? He rips apart the false prosperity gospel. It's so awesome.

False Teachers by Shai Linne NEW SONG + Lyrics - Fal$e Teacher$ - YouTube

Old 08-14-2013, 11:09 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,140,925 times
I believe in giving offerings, while im not set that it must be a minimum 10%, it can be whatever you like, 5,10, 20% as long as it is with a cheerful heart. If one isnt sure how much they want to give, they can use the OT standard of 10% is what they gave of the tithes even though we all know tithes was food.

I believe the only true way you can rob God is when you have money to give and can help others and choose to give nothing at all and keep it all for yourself.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
For the same reason that people play the lottery--they want/need $$$.

Honestly? I got caught up in it a bit as a new Christian. It's tempting to believe it--it plays on everyone's desire or their self-worth.

"Surely, I DESERVE to have a nice car....and God wants to bless his child....right?"

Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
For the same reason that people play the lottery--they want/need $$$.

Honestly? I got caught up in it a bit as a new Christian. It's tempting to believe it--it plays on everyone's desire or their self-worth.

"Surely, I DESERVE to have a nice car....and God wants to bless his child....right?"
If He wanted you to have a nice car, then He would also be wanting you to take it and find something more practical and take the excess and help others.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:51 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,195,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trettep View Post
If He wanted you to have a nice car, then He would also be wanting you to take it and find something more practical and take the excess and help others.
Not necessarily. There is nothing wrong with making a good living and having nice things. It's when you seek those things instead of the one that created them, that there is an issue. I think we'd both agree, though, that if a guy lives very very well in a big house, has a nice car, expensive suits, etc...etc....and he gives nothing to the poor, it tends to say something about what he values. It's about the heart more than the outward things--those are merely a reflection of what's inside.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not necessarily. There is nothing wrong with making a good living and having nice things. It's when you seek those things instead of the one that created them, that there is an issue. I think we'd both agree, though, that if a guy lives very very well in a big house, has a nice car, expensive suits, etc...etc....and he gives nothing to the poor, it tends to say something about what he values. It's about the heart more than the outward things--those are merely a reflection of what's inside.
When Jesus said feed the poor, He wasn't talking about those that have little money. He was talking about those Poor in Spirit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity