Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 05:53 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,896,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
"Gen 50:28 comes to mind. If Christians can take a pagan holiday and commit to honoring Jesus the Christ, who are you to tell them they aren't actually honoring God? I can honor God on Boxing Day in Canada and if my heart is right, God is glorified."

I don't know what Bible you read, but my Bible has no Gen. 50:28.
Sorry....let me check....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
"Gen 50:28 comes to mind. If Christians can take a pagan holiday and commit to honoring Jesus the Christ, who are you to tell them they aren't actually honoring God? I can honor God on Boxing Day in Canada and if my heart is right, God is glorified."

I don't know what Bible you read, but my Bible has no Gen. 50:28.
Make that Gen 50:20....what was meant for evil, God meant for good.

Good catch and thank you!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,304 times
Bud,
I am so sorry for what your wife had to endure. It was very difficult to read so I can't imagine how difficult it would be to know the woman you love had to go through so much horror. Thankfully, she has you to love her on that day!

Please know I will pray for Dec.25 to be a day of peace for the both of you.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:16 PM

336 posts, read 845,234 times
Exclamation You Will Find A Baby Wrapped In Cloths,lying In A Manger

Many Protestants Churchs Believe The Catholic Church Is A Cult And More! (please,i Grew Up Catholic , So Please Don't Chime In ,we Dont Believe This Or That.it Is A General Statement.) Many Protestant Churchs Teach The Cathoilc Church And The Pope Is What Revelation Speaks Of As The Anti -christ.catholics Are Never Taught To Despise/disrespect Other Churchs Or Other Beliefs And Are Unaware How Some Protestants View Them. In Fact,catholics Are Very Tolerant Of All Kinds.i Once Belonged To A Protestant Church That Taught This About Catholics And That Xmas Is A Pagan Holiday.at Xmas Time, Many Were In The Hyporcrite Mode. They Were Celebrating Or Giving Gifts Outside Of The Church! Many Did Not. But, There Were Many, Who Did Not Want To Forsake The Ones They Loved At "christmas." People Are Celebrating Xmas For Numerous Reasons other Than The Birth Of Jesus-and Are Free To Do So.
Christmas May Have Pagan Roots,but Many Christians Are Celebrating Because They Love Jesus And Their Families And This Holiday Is A Way To Display Both...

Last edited by JANA MANIA; 12-10-2007 at 06:49 PM..

Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,379,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Make that Gen 50:20....what was meant for evil, God meant for good.

Good catch and thank you!
I went to look it up to show my husband because he doesn't believe in celebrating Christmas because of the pagan roots. I knew that you knew what you were talking about, I was just joshing ya. Plus, I really did want to show him. Thanks.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:34 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,255,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Perhaps my reply would more appropriately fit in the "Health" forum, or in a thread by itself, but then again, there may be others here in the same situation, so here goes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll tell you all a little secret: I used to celebrate Christmas with much joy, anticipation, and happiness...for the first 50-some years of my life. Now I don't...so much...anymore. And not because of "pagan" origins, but for a more sinister reason: my wife of 4 years has PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)....
Thank you,
Bud
Bud, I was severely abused, but I was certainly not treated like that -- and especially not abused by my siblings, who are good, loving people. You don't know how I wish I could somehow bless you and your precious wife personally. Good night, what they did to her stinks to the high heavens. I am so sorry. All I can do is pray for her and your comfort and blessing and that people will be kind to her especially throughout this time, in a meaningful way that truly blesses you.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 52,768 times
You can set aside a day to honor CHRIST whenever you please, it just cannot be wrapped up in SIN ! He does not except just any kind of worship, it has to be on HIS TERMS, based on HIS WORD.......not mingled with flesh/idoltry/money/pagan rituals/etc. just like he doesn't hear the prayers of the wicked. HE is the one who set down the rules of worship and celebrations.

The only time gifts are given to each other in the WORD is when something awful happens. See below.....study the whole chapter not to take it out of text.

And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another, because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth" (Rev. 11:9, 10).

"Love not the world, (if Christmas is not worldly I don't know what is) neither the things that are in the world If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him" (I John 2:15).

". . . Learn not the way of the heathen,. . . For the customs of the people are vain- for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not... But they are altogether brutish and foolish: the stock is a doctrine of vanities"
(Jer. 10:2-4, 8). This my friends, is the CHRISTMAS TREE in all it's glory.

GOD TOLD US NOT TO DO AS THE HEATHENS DO.

Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?

Christmas and the Pagan Connecton.

The Top 10 Reasons Why I Don’t Celebrate Christmas > The Good News: November/December 2006

The only thing Christ told us to REMEMBER was his DEATH = PASSOVER...which is NOT EASTER !

"My people perish for lack of KNOWLEDGE". "Study the Word to show thyself approved'.

"Not everyone who says Lord, Lord will enter the Kingdom of God, but only he who DOES the will of my Father".

You can worship Christ on Dec. 25th without the SIN of Christmas.....if it's about HIM really, then why do we need the hullabaloo.

For those who ARE celebrating may I ask : What are you doing to make it about CHRIST ? and HIM only......since HE'S the HONOREE that is not of SIN ? What are you giving HIM for HIS BIRTHDAY ?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shug58 View Post
For those who ARE celebrating may I ask : What are you doing to make it about CHRIST ? and HIM only......since HE'S the HONOREE that is not of SIN ? What are you giving HIM for HIS BIRTHDAY ?
I'm focusing my attention on others, rather than myself, just like Christ.

I'm giving Him more of me for Christmas, just like Christ gave all of Himself for us.

But it's really not a birthday present, I don't think it's really His birthday, it's just a day to honor Him. How do we do that? I'd say by following His greatest commandments:
One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these." Mark 12:28-31
<Emphasis mine>

Anyway, I'm just gonna love God and others on Christmas.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:55 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shug58 View Post

Quote:
Shug58, yes indeed I am celebrating Christmas, not as the birth of Christ but as a time of family, friends in the spirit of the season which is love. There will be a decorated tree, presents ,fun ,love and laughter and maybe a teeny tiny bit of spiked eggnog for myself and my girls after the h goes to bed.I try to make each and everyday of my life a day to be thankful and to praise God for the blessings in this life..December 25 is no different than June 25 as far as my honoring God and his Son..Sundays are no more importrant in honoring him than Thursdays are..Merry Christmas, Shug, I pray that everyday is the day of the Lord for you as it is for me

Old 12-11-2007, 09:05 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,276,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
OK.

So if you take a random day and dedicate it to the Lord, it's a pagen, Satan-fest?

Are you suggesting that what was meant for evil, God can't make for good?
Exactly. As Christians, our lives have been transformed.. our motives are different, even tho in some instances we appear to be doing the same thing (such as making a living, etc.) As unto the Lord! We can dedicate a day to the Lord, and look at that day for an entirely different reason. Down this same line, if I'm not mistaken, the music for the song "Jesus, Lover of My Soul" was originally a bar song. Does this mean that even tho the words were changed, we should boycott this song because of what it was based on? No... God delights in turning things around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
To be zealous for the things and truth of the Lord is highly commendable. It is even more valuable in this age where so much confusion has entered into the church and the doctrines of devils have been mingled to oppose the straightforward truth of the Lord. However, to assert that the setting aside of a day to remember the birth of our Saviour is pagan is incorrect. To be sure, there have been many attempts at its corruption, but to the pure of heart in their love for Christ it serves to edify; not just to the saved, but as a witness to His Glory for the world.
Wonderful post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
Perhaps my reply would more appropriately fit in the "Health" forum, or in a thread by itself, but then again, there may be others here in the same situation, so here goes...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll tell you all a little secret: I used to celebrate Christmas with much joy, anticipation, and happiness...for the first 50-some years of my life. Now I don't...so much...anymore. And not because of "pagan" origins, but for a more sinister reason: my wife of 4 years has PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder).
Thanks for sharing, Bud! Sounds like your wife couldn't have a more understanding husband. Will pray for your peace and courage this season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity