Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans519 View Post
Do you even know what it means to be born again? Its something God does to you and when it happens your new heart has no delight in sin. If you profess to be born again and use that as a grounds to go out and sin without regret or discipline from the Lord you are not born again. What you said is the common argument against grace still used even today all because of a lack of understanding of God's grace and what it means to be born again.

Hebrews 12:5-8 (NIV) "And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons: "My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son." Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father? If you are not disciplined (and everyone undergoes discipline), then you are illegitimate children and not true sons."
Nope! Don't need to know about it. To be born AGAIN means that at some point in your life, you must have strayed away from or even denounced Christ's word. While I have sinned in my life, I have never denounced Him so there is no need for me to re-affirm my devotion to Him by being born again. I was baptized as a baby and Original Sin was washed away. I was raised in Christ and accepted him as my savior at an early age. Throughout my development in Christ, my faith was continually strengthened in the sacraments of reconciliation, holy communion, confirmation and matrimony. Now, as an adult, I continue to receive the sacraments as well as help mold and develop my children in His image.

Why be born again? I never left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
It is not misinformation and it is not untruth. I have learned enough about the catholic church to believe that it is a religion of a man made approach to God. Show me in the bible where it says suicide is an unpardonable sin. Show me in the bible where we are commanded to say hail Mary or worship her in ANY way. Show me in the bible where it says a pope or a priest can forgive your sins. Show me in the bible where it says I must be a catholic to enter Heaven.
Can you show me anywhere in Catholic dogma where we are supposed to worship Mary. As for the prayer we recite....

The PrayerBible VerseExplanation Hail Mary, full of GraceLuke 1:28
(Hail, full of Grace)The Angel Gabriel greets Mary with very respectful greeting used for royalty. The text doesn’t say “Mary” after Hail but it is implied. Gabriel then proclaims Mary full of Grace (full of God’s own life and love);
The Lord is with youLuke 1:28
(The Lord is with you)This is word for word. The Angel Gabriel said that the Lord is with Mary, she is full of his Grace, his own life. Blessed are you among women Luke 1:41 (Blessed are you among women)Elizabeth is filled with the Holy Spirit; she is inspired by the 3rd person of the Blessed Trinity to proclaim that Mary is the most blessed among all women. And blessed is
the fruit of thy womb Jesus Luke 1:42 (and blessed is the fruit of your womb)Elizabeth still inspired by the Holy Spirit proclaims that the fruit of Mary’s womb, the developing Jesus, is blessed. The text doesn’t say “Jesus” after womb, but it is implied, the fruit of her womb is Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God Luke 1:43 (And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?)Mary is full of God’s grace; this would make her holy. Mary is the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity. Since Jesus is God this makes her the mother of God. She is the mother of the God-Man Jesus, not the mother of the Trinity.
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death James 5:16 (Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power
in its effects)St. James tells Christians to pray for one another. All the baptized are members of the body of Christ (1Cor 12:12-14), therefore it is right to pray for other members of the body. James goes on to say that the prayers of the righteous have great power. What human (other then Jesus) is more righteous then the Blessed Mother? Though she is in heaven she still hears the prayers of her children on Earth and intercedes for them.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
If they are lies then why is the OP so concerned with all of these? Obviously he was taught this otherwise he wouldn't be here posting about it.

You seek to rebuke me with God's law, but I am not under God's law. I am under His grace. And since believers are under God's grace we receive correction and discipline when we do wrong or sin. But since I received no rebuke from the Holy Spirit for my rebuke of the catholic church I do not consider my rebuke to be breaking the 9th commandment. I would hope you are resting in the finished work of Christ instead of working in the everlasting demands of God's law. There is no rest in His law, but there is eternal rest in His grace.

Romans 6:14 "For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace."

Oh good grief

Matthew 19:17 JESUS said, ...but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

So again I ask you, quit spreading falsehoods about your fellow Christians!

Our OP is concerned about these things, and rightly so, because someone somewhere gave him bad info or he just misunderstood what was said/taught. It happens sometimes.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:46 PM

794 posts, read 846,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Nope! Don't need to know about it. To be born AGAIN means that at some point in your life, you must have strayed away from or even denounced Christ's word. While I have sinned in my life, I have never denounced Him so there is no need for me to re-affirm my devotion to Him by being born again. I was baptized as a baby and Original Sin was washed away. I was raised in Christ and accepted him as my savior at an early age. Throughout my development in Christ, my faith was continually strengthened in the sacraments of reconciliation, holy communion, confirmation and matrimony. Now, as an adult, I continue to receive the sacraments as well as help mold and develop my children in His image.

Why be born again? I never left.
Everyone who is born into this world is born spiritually dead because of Adam's sin. That is why no one has a natural desire to know God or love Him without first being told about Him. To be born again means to have your soul rejuvenated by hearing and believing in the truth that Jesus is the Son of God who died for your sins. How can you denounce something you never had? Jesus said you must be born again to enter the Kingdom of God. It is not something you had when you were born. When you were born, you were born a sinner like everyone else.

Romans 5:19 "By one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."

Old 08-27-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Can you show me anywhere in Catholic dogma where we are supposed to worship Mary. As for the prayer we recite....

The PrayerBible VerseExplanation Hail Mary, full of GraceLuke 1:28
(Hail, full of Grace)The Angel Gabriel greets Mary with very respectful greeting used for royalty. The text doesn’t say “Mary†after Hail but it is implied. Gabriel then proclaims Mary full of Grace (full of God’s own life and love);
The Lord is with youLuke 1:28
(The Lord is with you)This is word for word. The Angel Gabriel said that the Lord is with Mary, she is full of his Grace, his own life. Blessed are you among women Luke 1:41 (Blessed are you among women)Elizabeth is filled with the Holy Spirit; she is inspired by the 3rd person of the Blessed Trinity to proclaim that Mary is the most blessed among all women. And blessed is
the fruit of thy womb Jesus Luke 1:42 (and blessed is the fruit of your womb)Elizabeth still inspired by the Holy Spirit proclaims that the fruit of Mary’s womb, the developing Jesus, is blessed. The text doesn’t say “Jesus†after womb, but it is implied, the fruit of her womb is Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God Luke 1:43 (And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?)Mary is full of God’s grace; this would make her holy. Mary is the mother of the Lord Jesus Christ who is the 2nd person of the Holy Trinity. Since Jesus is God this makes her the mother of God. She is the mother of the God-Man Jesus, not the mother of the Trinity.
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death James 5:16 (Therefore confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man has great power
in its effects)St. James tells Christians to pray for one another. All the baptized are members of the body of Christ (1Cor 12:12-14), therefore it is right to pray for other members of the body. James goes on to say that the prayers of the righteous have great power. What human (other then Jesus) is more righteous then the Blessed Mother? Though she is in heaven she still hears the prayers of her children on Earth and intercedes for them.
I have a strong disagreement with prayer or worship of any kind to Mary. The bible makes no claim that she is anymore a sinner because of Adam's sin or anymore righteous because of Jesus' obedience than the rest of us who believe. Mary was born from the seed of man like everyone else, therefore she is a sinner like everyone else. Why do you think God ordained a virgin birth? Because Jesus' seed came from the Father and not from man therefore He did not inherit man's sin making Him the perfect eternal sacrifice since His blood is divine.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
I have a strong disagreement with prayer or worship of any kind to Mary. The bible makes no claim that she is anymore a sinner because of Adam's sin or anymore righteous because of Jesus' obedience than the rest of us who believe. Mary was born from the seed of man like everyone else, therefore she is a sinner like everyone else. Why do you think God ordained a virgin birth? Because Jesus' seed came from the Father and not from man therefore He did not inherit man's sin making Him the perfect eternal sacrifice since His blood is divine.
Disagree all you want - but quit saying Catholics "worship" Mary - it's not true and is a mischaracterization of the reality.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Everyone who is born into this world is born spiritually dead because of Adam's sin. That is why no one has a natural desire to know God or love Him without first being told about Him. To be born again means to have your soul rejuvenated by hearing and believing in the truth that Jesus is the Son of God who died for your sins. How can you denounce something you never had? Jesus said you must be born again to enter the Kingdom of God. It is not something you had when you were born. When you were born, you were born a sinner like everyone else.

Romans 5:19 "By one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man's obedience many will be made righteous."
Sooooooooooo I was born again when I was able to understand language and read! Because that is when I was aware of Christ. Why are so many protestants born again later in life? Were they not raised in Christ?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Sooooooooooo I was born again when I was able to understand language and read! Because that is when I was aware of Christ. Why are so many protestants born again later in life? Were they not raised in Christ?
You are born again when you hear the truth about Jesus and make your personal decision to put your faith in Him and His finished work on the cross.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
As it has been clearly stated, Catholics do not "worship" Mary. As for prayer, have you ever had a close relative pass away? A parent, spouse or a child or sibling? Do you ever ask them for help? To watch over you? To keep you safe? That's prayer. We do the same thing with Mary. We pray to Mary and ask her to pray for us. Just as we would pray to a deseased relative. Have you ever had a prayer request in church? "Please pray for Mrs. Smith. She is having surgery tomorrow." In doing that, you are asking other people to intercede for Mrs Smith and pray for her. We do the same with Mary. We ask her for her help. Does that mean we don't ask Christ directly? Of course not.

Consider this. You are trying to get a job. You are very close to somebody who is very close to the boss. Would you ask them to put in a good word for you? Yes. Does that mean you don't ask the boss himself? Of course not.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
You are born again when you hear the truth about Jesus and make your personal decision to put your faith in Him and His finished work on the cross.
Ok, I'll go along with you. So I was born again as an infant child when my mother began reading bible stories to me. Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity