Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

BALTIMORE - Roman Catholics voting in the 2008 elections must heed church teaching when deciding which candidates and policies to support, U.S. bishops said Wednesday.

And while the church recognizes the importance of a wide range of issues — from war to immigration to poverty — fighting abortion should be a priority, the bishops said.

Catholic bishops instruct voters - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 01:00 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,622,916 times
"But, the bishops urged Catholics to only use voter resources approved by the Church." Can we say, "wrong", boys and girls? I don't care if it's the Catholics, or any of the Protestants,(and they've done the same thing, namely the conservative ones), or any other religious group, it is flat-out wrong to demand that people follow any chuch's dictates or teachings, when voting. What should be leading our voting choices are our consciences, coupled with as much knowledge about the issues and candidates as possible, (and a huge chunk of horse sense never hurts, either). My choice in the voting booth is between myself and my God, not myself and my church, (even if I did still attend).

Old 11-14-2007, 01:05 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Isn't there something in the dogma about leaving the world to the world and God to God??? These people need a bit of that advice!

Old 11-14-2007, 01:27 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,746,330 times
I dont think its anybody elses business who I vote for or dont vote for..luckily in my state theres not much campaining either way.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,818,275 times
Thumbs up High five for the Bishop!

People formulate opinions by hearing the thoughts of others. We call that campaigning. Every person, group, or institution has that constitutional right. Voting requires listening and deciding. Certainly any church can illustrate their convictions, via a Biblical lens, and be valid as any secular think tank. I applaud the Catholic Church for their convictions for demonstrating morality as a basis for evaluating candidates.

I do not support picking and choosing of candidates or political sermons from the pulpit.

Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
"But, the bishops urged Catholics to only use voter resources approved by the Church." Can we say, "wrong", boys and girls? I don't care if it's the Catholics, or any of the Protestants,(and they've done the same thing, namely the conservative ones), or any other religious group, it is flat-out wrong to demand that people follow any chuch's dictates or teachings, when voting. What should be leading our voting choices are our consciences, coupled with as much knowledge about the issues and candidates as possible, (and a huge chunk of horse sense never hurts, either). My choice in the voting booth is between myself and my God, not myself and my church, (even if I did still attend).
Why is this wrong? Churches can (and do) kick out members for a variety of reasons. A lot impose conduct and dress restrictions on their members. Why shouldn't they demand their members to vote a certain way?

What makes voting special?

Old 11-15-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
Why is this wrong? Churches can (and do) kick out members for a variety of reasons. A lot impose conduct and dress restrictions on their members. Why shouldn't they demand their members to vote a certain way?

What makes voting special?
I believe I already stated why I think it's wrong. The church, (be it Catholic, Protestant, or otherwise), has no business telling people how they should vote. That is a private decision, and one that should be between myself and my God, as I said before, not myself and the church. The church is supposed to lead, not dictate or demand. The church is not God, and I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions. I do not allow the church to dictate what I should read, watch, listen to, or a myriad of other things. Why should I allow them to tell me how to vote, which is one of our most basic rights and responsibilities?

I recall a church a couple of years ago, that my husband and I had attended one Sunday, (our granddaughter was being dedicated by her parents there, that morning), whose pastor was telling his people, from the pulpit, how they should vote, concerning a wet/dry issue, in our county. The county was having it's seventh or so vote, in a 70-year period, about whether or not to allow the county to go wet. Needless to say, as our county is strongly Bible-belt oriented, this argument became quite heated. Now, for the pastor to have said that he, himself, was going to vote against it, as his conscience dictated, was perfectly acceptable and appropriate. For him to tell the rest of the congregation how they should vote, was not, plain and simple.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:21 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,502,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
I believe I already stated why I think it's wrong. The church, (be it Catholic, Protestant, or otherwise), has no business telling people how they should vote. That is a private decision, and one that should be between myself and my God, as I said before, not myself and the church. The church is supposed to lead, not dictate or demand. The church is not God, and I am perfectly capable of making my own decisions. I do not allow the church to dictate what I should read, watch, listen to, or a myriad of other things. Why should I allow them to tell me how to vote, which is one of our most basic rights and responsibilities?

I recall a church a couple of years ago, that my husband and I had attended one Sunday, (our granddaughter was being dedicated by her parents there, that morning), whose pastor was telling his people, from the pulpit, how they should vote, concerning a wet/dry issue, in our county. The county was having it's seventh or so vote, in a 70-year period, about whether or not to allow the county to go wet. Needless to say, as our county is strongly Bible-belt oriented, this argument became quite heated. Now, for the pastor to have said that he, himself, was going to vote against it, as his conscience dictated, was perfectly acceptable and appropriate. For him to tell the rest of the congregation how they should vote, was not, plain and simple.
Isn't it when churches cross this line that their tax-exempt status comes into question? I thought I had heard about a bunch of churches that were being investigated because they were campaigning for a specific candidate a few years ago. Not sure, it's been awhile since I heard it, but I thought this was the case.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Isn't it when churches cross this line that their tax-exempt status comes into question? I thought I had heard about a bunch of churches that were being investigated because they were campaigning for a specific candidate a few years ago. Not sure, it's been awhile since I heard it, but I thought this was the case.
That may well be correct. However, when you're "preaching to the choir", as the saying goes, not too many folks are likely to say much about it. Here in the South/Bible Belt, there are many churches and pastors who probably cross that line, push come to shove. You would be hard-put to track them all down, so to speak, nor am I particularly interested in doing so, insofar as the legalities of it all. I believe that there are more important things to drag someone into court about. I just simply feel that the church has no business telling folks how to vote, and I am not under any obligation to follow the dictates of the church, or the church leaders, whomever they may be.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,681,750 times
There are dollar amounts and percentages that regulate the amount of lobbying a tax-exempt charity or church organization can do without risking their tax-exempt status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity