Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:00 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,352,642 times

Advertisements

I was raised in the Western World. That is my answer. It became part of me as I was growing up. Furthermore, I cannot disprove the existence of God.

I am curious to see why others believe in God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,933,489 times
When I was an atheist I came face to face with the proposition that hard Determinism was the only logical conclusion for a purely physics based universe. I did not see things working that way and I realized that the only way it would not be the case is if there were some force outside physics that made a difference. From there I looked to a way "spirit" would influence and why. Best answer I have found in the ministry and life of Jesus.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
When I was an atheist I came face to face with the proposition that hard Determinism was the only logical conclusion for a purely physics based universe. I did not see things working that way and I realized that the only way it would not be the case is if there were some force outside physics that made a difference. From there I looked to a way "spirit" would influence and why. Best answer I have found in the ministry and life of Jesus.
Catholicism (Christianity) is part of my cultural heritage or part of who I am. And I made sure all my kids went to parochial school to get indoctrinated. As of today all my kids are thankful, they feel they have something important.

As a young person I had my agnostic/atheist phase which I did not discuss with anyone. So if my kids have doubts it is unlikely they will talk about it.

I spent a lot of time studying cosmology and some aspects of evolution and the findings led me to believe we are very special as humans in this planet. So I believe there may be a creator. But, i am not bold enough to pretend I know God. For me God remains a mystery and the only thing I know here on Earth is the man made religions and traditions which I adore. What are we without traditions?

I was always moved by the work of Aquinas in his quest to prove the existence of God. He was a priest philosopher and yet he did not try to use the Bible to prove God is around. I also like Descartes Cogito Ergo Sum, it makes sense. CS Lewis Mere Christianity is also quite logical in his quest to prove the existence of God.

I never had a mystic moment. I wish I did!

Old 09-19-2013, 05:06 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,557,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I was raised in the Western World. That is my answer. It became part of me as I was growing up. Furthermore, I cannot disprove the existence of God.

I am curious to see why others believe in God.
I was raised by atheistic parents. Guess I did really believe in, or cared about God.

In my late teens-early 20s, I encountered some events and experiences that indicated a spiritual side to reality. Unlike many skeptics, I decided to explore what I had experienced (instead of finding a way to "explain" away the experiences). One thing lead to another and God revealed Himself to me. God seems so real to me-so much so that no amount of so called logical argueing can convince me otherwise. The evidence is there to anyone who is interested.

As a side note: I feel sorry for those who base their faith solely on the Bible-and lack a personal relation with God thru Jesus. I remember one poster in particular who became an atheist while on this board. She did so, because her belief in God was based on the Bible, not on a relationship with God. She said as much to me. Reminds me of the phrase: Father, Son and the Holy Bible.

If the Bible was ever proven to be bunk, I would still believe in God. My foundation is in my relationship with God However, I believe the Bible to be true and am an evangelical Christian.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I was raised by atheistic parents. Guess I did really believe in, or cared about God.

In my late teens-early 20s, I encountered some events and experiences that indicated a spiritual side to reality. Unlike many skeptics, I decided to explore what I had experienced (instead of finding a way to "explain" away the experiences). One thing lead to another and God revealed Himself to me. God seems so real to me-so much so that no amount of so called logical argueing can convince me otherwise. The evidence is there to anyone who is interested.

As a side note: I feel sorry for those who base their faith solely on the Bible-and lack a personal relation with God thru Jesus. I remember one poster in particular who became an atheist while on this board. She did so, because her belief in God was based on the Bible, not on a relationship with God. She said as much to me. Reminds me of the phrase: Father, Son and the Holy Bible.

If the Bible was ever proven to be bunk, I would still believe in God. My foundation is in my relationship with God However, I believe the Bible to be true and am an evangelical Christian.
I never had a moment of mysticism. By upbringing made a difference even if I had a rebellious side. I wish I could see Good as you do.

CS Lewis was an atheist.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post

Exactly! I have said this from day one. God is so much more than the Bible. If there was no Bible God would still be the same.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,587,736 times
Quote:
I never had a moment of mysticism. By upbringing made a difference even if I had a rebellious side. I wish I could see Good as you do.

CS Lewis was an atheist.
CS Lewis WAS an atheist but he did not stay an atheist. He became a believer in the exact same way that all of the children of God do. Through extremely varying methods God reveals himself to whoever he decides to reveal himself. It's just that simple. The bible is clear on this. "The things of God are NONSENCE to the natural Man". "They have eyes but can not see. They have ears but can not hear". "they are blind", " The gospel is an OFFENCE to the natural man" and on and on in this same vein.
Because we have as the bible so clearly points out, spiritually dead hearts, we can not believe. It's not possible. It is not within our natural born nature. We believe only because God does a miraculous work within us that regenerates us. The regeneration is referred to as being "Born again". The reason we must be born again is what I said previously. We do not have the ability to believe in our natural nature so God gives us a "New nature". The bible says he takes this heart of stone which is dead and cold and turns it into a heart of flesh which is warm and alive. I pray that God would do this work in you if you are reading this and do not believe.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
CS Lewis WAS an atheist but he did not stay an atheist. He became a believer in the exact same way that all of the children of God do. Through extremely varying methods God reveals himself to whoever he decides to reveal himself. It's just that simple. The bible is clear on this. "The things of God are NONSENCE to the natural Man". "They have eyes but can not see. They have ears but can not hear". "they are blind", " The gospel is an OFFENCE to the natural man" and on and on in this same vein.
Because we have as the bible so clearly points out, spiritually dead hearts, we can not believe. It's not possible. It is not within our natural born nature. We believe only because God does a miraculous work within us that regenerates us. The regeneration is referred to as being "Born again". The reason we must be born again is what I said previously. We do not have the ability to believe in our natural nature so God gives us a "New nature". The bible says he takes this heart of stone which is dead and cold and turns it into a heart of flesh which is warm and alive. I pray that God would do this work in you if you are reading this and do not believe.
I wish I could see God or talk to him.

For me God is the end result of not having all the answers in this world. The Bible has done less for me than the writings of people like CS Lewis or Descartes. Even Stephen Hawkings and Einstein used to mention God regularly. For me God remains a mystery. I would never try to pretend I know God.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,587,736 times
Quote:
I wish I could see God or talk to him.

For me God is the end result of not having all the answers in this world. The Bible has done less for me than the writings of people like CS Lewis or Descartes. Even Stephen Hawkings and Einstein used to mention God regularly. For me God remains a mystery. I would never try to pretend I know God.
The difference between Christianity and the other faiths of this world is that in Christianity you do know God. You have a personal relationship and communion with him. The closer you walk according to his precepts the better you get to know him in all of his fullness.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
The difference between Christianity and the other faiths of this world is that in Christianity you do know God. You have a personal relationship and communion with him. The closer you walk according to his precepts the better you get to know him in all of his fullness.
I hear you, but sometimes i feel I don't know ALL of God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity