Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 11:47 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times

Advertisements

I am never offended by fact, and science looking for answers.

However, our truths are not the same.. You read the bible and get one message. I read and get another.

I am not offended by Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, Happy Chanukah, Happy Birthday, Happy Thanksgiving, or any other wish to acknowledge a celebration. It is the shared truth of joy.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus caused Zacchaeus to confront his sin. He repented and was saved (born again).
No he didn't, Jesus showed him a life without missing the mark. Just like he did with the woman caught in adultery..... Fundamentalists look at "go sin no more" negatively....... Jesus was saying you are free to no longer miss the mark.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I am never offended by fact, and science looking for answers.

However, our truths are not the same.. You read the bible and get one message. I read and get another.

I am not offended by Merry Christmas, Happy Holiday, Happy Chanukah, Happy Birthday, Happy Thanksgiving, or any other wish to acknowledge a celebration. It is the shared truth of joy.
I am glad you are not offended by fact and science, but I am sure you are aware the some people are offended by "Merry Christmas", and pretty much everything related to Christian faith (like Tebow's face paint).

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 07-19-2015 at 12:38 PM..

Old 07-19-2015, 01:09 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Why are so many offended by the truth? I know I used to be offended it by it because it hurt my pride, and I know many others who were offended by the Gospel. Looking at the many atheists these days, it is clear they are deeply offended by anything Christian. Why is this?
Some have asked you this question for the longest time...I believe that they finally realized even if the truth offends some, TOO BAD...they are going to continue with the LOVE of Christ and mercy towards our neighbors.

Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No he didn't, Jesus showed him a life without missing the mark. Just like he did with the woman caught in adultery..... Fundamentalists look at "go sin no more" negatively....... Jesus was saying you are free to no longer miss the mark.
pcamps! This is way to easy and therefore too many just cannot accept such a truth. If it isn't a herculean task, then it cannot be worth the price of salvation.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:29 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
At the end of the day the evidence from the mouth of Jesus Christ is when he spoke, wonderful not offensive things happened, and because of this the fundamentalists were offended. The same fundamentalists who claimed they knew God, knew the scriptures, were children of Abraham and looked down disapprovingly upon all who did not accept their traditions and teachings. Saying you were offended by good news , you must have believed in the message of those who travelled land and sea to make converts that end up being twice the child of hell that those that hooked you in. 15 years ago I was horrified that I was a child of hell even though I had previously believed for 15 years, I wasn't offended it was one of the greatest days of my life, because truth does not offend........ it sets you free.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:42 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As long as you "look to the OT to see what Godly repentance consisted of" . . . you remain under the veil of ignorance ("blind minds") over reading the OT and undo what Christ did to lift that veil.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17
But their minds were blinded(blind mind=ignorance): for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (the Heart) shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord (Jesus) is that Spirit (agape love): and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Quote:
As you can tell by Pleroos posts some people have no idea what Jesus meant when He said that they hated Him for no reason. It happens all the time. People are irritated and offended by the mere mention of Jesus. Jesus knew people will be offended and reject the light because they love the darkness. He said "they hated me without reason" and "people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil". Maybe the people here who are continually offended by Christians do not really know why they are offended. It would be better if they figured it out, because they are barking at the wrong tree when they attack the messegers.
Go out and try it. Tell a stranger that Jesus loves you, and there is a good chance it will not be well received.
You have NEVER listened to or understood what the real problem is, Finn. It is NOT Jesus or His unambiguous message of agape love that is rejected or hated. It is the thoroughly corrupt anti-Christ apostate message of judgment, hate and bigotry represented by the mainstream fundamentalist churches in these "latter days" . . . as prophesied . . . that offends! It uses the beliefs about God found in the OT under the veil of ignorance. No one is offended by the love or message of Jesus, Finn. They are repulsed by the OT corrupted version espoused by Christians. To paraphrase what Ghandi is supposed to have said . . . He likes your Christ, but your Christians are nothing like Christ.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
You have NEVER listened to or understood what the real problem is, Finn. It is NOT Jesus or His unambiguous message of agape love that is rejected or hated. It is the thoroughly corrupt anti-Christ apostate message of judgment, hate and bigotry represented by the mainstream fundamentalist churches in these "latter days" . . . as prophesied . . . that offends! It uses the beliefs about God found in the OT under the veil of ignorance. No one is offended by the love or message of Jesus, Finn. They are repulsed by the OT corrupted version espoused by Christians. To paraphrase what Ghandi is supposed to have said . . . He likes your Christ, but your Christians are nothing like Christ.
Once again you are trying to tell me why I was offended, and get it all wrong. No one offered me hate, bigotry and judgment, so why would I be offended by something no one threw at me?

Why did Nicky tell Wilkerson he'd kill him if he said 'Jesus loves you' one more time? Wlkerson did not offer him judgment, but love, but Nicky was offended to no end.

Why did Jesus say they hated Him for no reason? According to your argument they hated Him for being hateful, bigoted and judgmental. Are you sure you want to make that argument?

Who is the rock of offense the Bible talks about?

The rock of offense is Jesus.

Your comments prove you are very much offended by the truth, and you are trying to direct your anger at the messengers, but you are barking at the wrong tree.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:03 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
As long as you "look to the OT to see what Godly repentance consisted of" . . . you remain under the veil of ignorance ("blind minds") over reading the OT and undo what Christ did to lift that veil.

2 Corinthians 3:14-17
But their minds were blinded(blind mind=ignorance): for until this day remaineth the same vail untaken away in the reading of the old testament; which vail is done away in Christ.
15But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
16Nevertheless when it (the Heart) shall turn to the Lord, the vail shall be taken away.
17Now the Lord (Jesus) is that Spirit (agape love): and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
Quote:
Quote:
Once again you are trying to tell me why I was offended, and get it all wrong. No one offered me hate, bigotry and judgment, so why would I be offended by something no one threw at me?
You still get it wrong. I was not referring to why YOU are offended or not. I was referring to why Christians who have corrupted Christs' message of love with OT wrath and vengeance under the veil of ignorance offend others with their judgmentalism, hate and bigotry.
Quote:
Why did Jesus say they hated Him for no reason? According to your argument they hated Him for being hateful, bigoted and judgmental. Are you sure you want to make that argument?
Of course not.I am saying that Christians today have corrupted what Christ represented and THEY stand for judgment, hate and bigotry in the name of Christ. They misrepresent Christ and THAT is why they offend others . . NOT because of Jesus.
Quote:
Your comments prove you are very much offended by the truth, and you are trying to direct your anger at the messengers, but you are barking at the wrong tree.
Not true. I am offended by the corruption of Christ's unambiguous message of love using OT ignorance and barbarity. You do NOT faithfully represent Christ, Finn. You represent a corrupt message caused by merging OT ignorance, superstition and barbarity with Christ's pure and unambiguous message of love.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You still get it wrong. I was not referring to why YOU are offended or not. I was referring to why Christians who have corrupted Christs' message of love with OT wrath and vengeance under the veil of ignorance offend others with their judgmentalism, hate and bigotry.
Yes, you ARE trying to speak for others, which is something you do routinely, and always get it wrong. You preset your assumptions as facts, when they are nothing but your personal guesses.

Why did Nicky tell Wilkerson he'd kill him if he said 'Jesus loves you' one more time? Wlkerson did not offer him judgment, but love, but Nicky was offended to no end.

Why did Jesus say they hated Him for no reason?

Who is the rock of offense the Bible talks about?

The rock of offense is Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.