Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 10:08 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I know from personal experience, and experiences of other people, that the explanation Jesus gave is more accurate that the one you choose to believe.
and I can honestly say--

I know from personal experience, and experiences of other people, that the explanation Jesus gave is more accurate that the one you choose to believe

Old 07-22-2015, 10:14 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
Indeed .

Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

Jesus knew how people react to Him and His message. They hated it. He said Himself they hated Him for no reason. Nicky Cruz hated Wilkerson and he didn't even know why. He had seen the light, and the natural reaction of the evil doers is to be offended by it.

I find it interesting people here spare no effort to argue it never happens. Jesus said it happend, it happened to Nicky, it happened to the people of Jesus time, it happened to me, and it happens every day all around us.
In John 6:61 Jesus asks of his disciples (not the scribes or pharisees) if his words offended them:
"Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you?"
what was that they said that prompted Jesus' response:
John 6:60 "On hearing it, many of his disciples said, 'This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?'
and these people (again not scribes or pharisees mentioned) turned away and stop following.

Jesus has no less the same effect on those today who grumble and are offended about other hard teachings of Jesus. Jesus did not just only teach: "love and peace, love and peace .. all will go to heaven ... and love and peace"

Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
In John 6:61 Jesus asks of his disciples (not the scribes or pharisees) if his words offended them:
"Aware that his disciples were grumbling about this, Jesus said to them, “Does this offend you?"
John 6:60 "On hearing it, many of his disciples said, 'This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?'
and these people (again not scribes or pharisees mentioned) turned away and stop following.

Jesus has no less the same effect on those today who grumble and are offended about other hard teachings of Jesus. Jesus did not just only teach: "love and peace, love and peace .. all will go to heaven ... and love and peace"
I do not know why people here think He was referring to Pharisees only, when Jesus never said 'everyone who does evil'. I did evil, but I sure wasn't a Pharisee. I didn't even know what a Pharisee was. Do they think Nicky Cruz was a Pharisee? He was a street gang member in NYC?

Personally I was not even offended by any 'hard teaching', but simply by the fact that the light exposed my broken soul.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:19 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
I do not know why people here think He was referring to Pharisees only, when Jesus never said 'everyone who does evil'. I did evil, but I sure wasn't a Pharisee. I didn't even know what a Pharisee was. Do they think Nicky Cruz was a Pharisee? He was a street gang member in NYC?

Personally I was not even offended by any 'hard teaching', but simply by the fact that the light exposed my broken soul.
What light exposed your brokenness? Being told that you were going to hell if you didn't believe that Jesus is your savior? Something else? Can you be specific at all about what the light was that exposed this to you?

Old 07-22-2015, 11:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:

Well I do not believe you were offended, just like I do not believe Nicky Cruz or David Wilkerson were by the good news, what you were offended by was the assumption you deserved to be sent to hell because of your sin. That is the doctrine of demons not the gospel. There simply is no scriptural support for such a belief.

If you asked me how do I know Jesus healed folk, I would go right to the 4 gospels and say here , here and here and there. How come you cannot do likewise and point out from the gospels and not from the testimonies of men where Jesus offended anyone with the truth other than the scribe and Pharisee. I mean you are big believer in "if it isn't in the bible I won't believe it", so at least be consistent.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:

I will say to you what I said to Drob, what he said was not offensive and neither were the recipients of what he said offended by what he said, they did not understand what he meant by unless eating his flesh and blood they had no part of him, they stumbled at it, they were not offended.Tell me how can you be offended by something you do not understand ?.

What is plain to see is the overwhelming evidence from the gospels is those who heard the good news not the offensive message were not offended by it, and for you fundamentalist to deny that in favor of one instance that is not even saying what you think it is, goes to show you refuse to come to the truth in favor of your man made ideas about the most wonderful man that ever walked the face of the earth.

Last edited by pcamps; 07-22-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What light exposed your brokenness? Being told that you were going to hell if you didn't believe that Jesus is your savior? Something else? Can you be specific at all about what the light was that exposed this to you?
What does that even mean....light exposed my brokenness? do we need light to show we are broken ?, all I can think that it means is darkness beat me down while I was in need of being healed.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:12 PM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:

That can't be true. If it were, the whole liberal Christian narrative would collapse.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:57 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Again, Jesus never said only the Pharisees would be offended, He said everyone who does evil will hate the light.

Those people who have never been drawn out of the darkness will not understand until it happens. I hated the light, every mention of Jesus annoyed me, but in the end I realized He just wanted to help.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Again, Jesus never said only the Pharisees would be offended, He said everyone who does evil will hate the light.

Those people who have never been drawn out of the darkness will not understand until it happens. I hated the light, every mention of Jesus annoyed me, but in the end I realized He just wanted to help.

You have obviously misunderstood what Jesus came for and what he was saying. He did not come after your sin, he came after you to put you in the way(path) of life........ and to teach you how to walk in it. He didn't come to confront your sin or for you to confront your own sin........ He came to bring you to life through faith in the grace that's always been there for you...... so that you might live..... Ever likely you hated what you thought was light, that which you thought was light was darkness. I am sorry to break this to you, but it wasn't the narrow gate you found but the broad way of destruction....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.