Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,925,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Then it seems like we are closer in our views than previously understood. However, what is wrong with calling sin, "sin"? Isn't that what scripture does and why we recognize it as wrong? (It is not 'sin' that condemns one, but, their refusal of God's forgiveness in Jesus Christ.)

Without God's standard, we risk simply adopting an ever-changing worldly standard - where everything eventually becomes 'right' and acceptable. Also, while we agree that our role is not to "condemn him," (we are to deal with him in the same manner as a loving parent deals with a child); ...We cannot simply ignore the behavior -- or condone it by reflecting on our own past indiscretions.
The so called God standard certainly isn't something I want to live up to as portrayed especially in the OT.

I mean do you believe that we still should be stoning people because they pick up sticks on the Sabbath, that we should nearly annihilate neighboring tribes but keep they're virgins for own pleasure, that we should adore someone who causes numerous baby deaths in Egypt, that inflicts other untold horrible things to those residents?

No, I would much rather prefer the secular version of morality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 02:20 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,836,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The so called God standard certainly isn't something I want to live up to as portrayed especially in the OT.

I mean do you believe that we still should be stoning people because they pick up sticks on the Sabbath, that we should nearly annihilate neighboring tribes but keep they're virgins for own pleasure, that we should adore someone who causes numerous baby deaths in Egypt, that inflicts other untold horrible things to those residents?

No, I would much rather prefer the secular version of morality.
?Who told you that these things were 'God's Standard?' (You've actually got a mishmash of King Herod, the Pharisees and false idol worship. You would do well to get a Bible and check things out for yourself ... in fact, you will be ultimately accountable to God for your response to His Word and Truth!

Many of man’s indiscretions are truthfully reported in the Bible, but, that certainly does not make them God's standard! -- Many folks do things in the 'name of God' that have absolutely nothing to do with God. That said, there ARE many things that God commanded or declared, which bear absolutely no resemblance to the world's standard of right and wrong.

In any case, your response is much like saying, "I've heard that there are a lot of hypocrites and bad people in grocery stores', therefore, I'm going to stop eating!" Your motives may be well-intentioned, but, your assumptions and conclusions are wrong, (... and you will still 'starve').

Last edited by jghorton; 10-17-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-17-2013, 03:39 PM

400 posts, read 601,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yes, there are contradiction!
Quote:

James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my[b] works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

The two verses you bolded above do not contradict one another, in fact they say the same thing, in different word order. Let's change the word order and see. Maybe that will help.
First let's change the order of verse 17.
Verse 17. Thus, if you do not have works, but faith by itself, it is dead.
Verse 24. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.
Now let's change the order of verse 24.
Verse 24. Not by your faith only, for a man is justified by works.
Verse 17. Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

Faith and works go hand in hand. It is not enough to merely profess faith, for without works, your faith is dead.

Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,365,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
It is not enough to merely profess faith for without works, your faith is dead.
And without loving others, our love would be self-centered.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:00 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,715,732 times
Thumbs up What a terrific observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Quote:

James 2:14-26
New King James Version (NKJV)
Faith Without Works Is Dead

14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble! 20 But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is dead?[c] 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered Isaac his son on the altar? 22 Do you see that faith was working together with his works, and by works faith was made perfect? 23 And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.”[d] And he was called the friend of God. 24 You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

The two verses you bolded above do not contradict one another, in fact they say the same thing, in different word order. Let's change the word order and see. Maybe that will help.
First let's change the order of verse 17.
Verse 17. Thus, if you do not have works, but faith by itself, it is dead.
Verse 24. You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith alone.
Now let's change the order of verse 24.
Verse 24. Not by your faith only, for a man is justified by works.
Verse 17. Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.
[b]
Faith and works go hand in hand. It is not enough to merely profess faith, for without works, your faith is dead.
I am speechless. What a terrific conclusion--and one which the majority of Protestant Christians on this thread will protest.

But you have a profound insight. Both faith and works are two sides of the same coin.

God bless.

Old 10-17-2013, 05:56 PM

400 posts, read 601,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I am speechless. What a terrific conclusion--and one which the majority of Protestant Christians on this thread will protest.But you have a profound insight. Both faith and works are two sides of the same coin.
God bless.
Thanks Wardendresden. Seriously, it means a lot to get a thumbs up from you. Today, has been a blessing to recieve affirmation from both you and J G Horton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity