Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 08:37 AM

73 posts, read 109,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Originally it was All Hallows Eve, the day before All Saints Day.

You know like Christmas Eve is the day before Christmas?

Besides which, you feel that way about Halloween, why don't you feel that way about Christmas? After all Christmas was borrowed from the pagans observation of the winter solstice and the first indication that the Sun was reborn. How come you don't object to Christmas being celebrated?

All in due time. A X-Mas post will be forthcoming......followed by the other pagan worship celebration of Ēastre or Ēostre....or as most know it; Easter!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 AM

73 posts, read 109,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Can you name what was celebrated on a New Moon by Christians that pagans happened to miss?
The only biblical feast that should be celebrated by Christians are those mentioned in God's word. So unless you are talking about one of those.....I have no clue.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM

3,055 posts, read 2,927,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
If those were so adamant against Halloween really think about it and look at the history of things, they would not celebrate Christmas, they would not celebrate Easter, nor would they celebrate some of the other lesser holy days throughout the year which were adapted from pagan practices.

You're right: Christmas and Easter are pagan holidays. In no sense are they revealed as holy days in Scripture. I do not know the history of Halloween and in none of my posts did I claim to do so (going so far as to speculate that I probably would not be comfortable with the practice of it based on its origin alone, though I was meaning my vague understanding of the origin of it--though as of yet I know of no where in Scripture where God has instituted the commemoration of anything like Halloween).

The only day which God set aside to be holy is the Sabbath. No other day are we commanded to give Him worship the whole day. I would imagine wholesome traditions of men are permitted by Him, perhaps even encouraged (though I am not far along yet in my biblical studies to make a declarative statement of it). Yet as I have stated and provided evidence via personal experience, I do not consider Halloween a wholesome, godly tradition of man. My experience is that it is replete with sinfulness and that is the basis of my refraining from it. Certainly there are communities in which adults and children participate in the neighborly sharing of gifts on that day; unfortunately, the celebration of the day has been corrupted by the sinful activities which I have been a witness to. Therefore I will refrain from it.

And as Ecc12 mentioned, I'm sure there will be a lively discussion of Christmas and Easter in due season.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,342,394 times
Do the kids of Christians that do not celebrate Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc feel out of step with their peers in school?

Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Do the kids of Christians that do not celebrate Easter, Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc feel out of step with their peers in school?
These are the ones that are homeschooled, and then shipped off to a strict fundie religious based college. Then the kids graduate and go into the real world and can't for the life of themselves understand why they're ostracized by their peers.

It almost seems like a form of child abuse in a way.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
These are the ones that are homeschooled, and then shipped off to a strict fundie religious based college. Then the kids graduate and go into the real world and can't for the life of themselves understand why they're ostracized by their peers.

I agree. I believe home-schooling, in most instances, inflicts a terrible handicap on children when it comes to dealing with the real world.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yes. My kids will be begging for candy. I will also be handing it out. We have 60 people in town and people dont like snobs that think theyre too good to be part of the community.
You live in a town with only 60 people? Do you have your own zip code Pastor Vizio? Did you ever find that Oregon Chai Tea I posted you about? I was thinking of sending you some if you can't find it.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:53 PM

535 posts, read 967,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
These are the ones that are home schooled, and then shipped off to a strict fundie religious based college. Then the kids graduate and go into the real world and can't for the life of themselves understand why they're ostracized by their peers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I agree. I believe home-schooling, in most instances, inflicts a terrible handicap on children when it comes to dealing with the real world.
I was an elementary school teacher before becoming assistant dean of education and interim provost for 3 months, LOL, at a public university. I have nothing but respect for home schooling families and the products they turn out. In fact, the university conducted 2 studies which became hallmark studies one on the positive academic effect, the other on the positive social effect, home schooling has.

It's a myth and misconception that home schoolers lag socially. Sadly, it continues to this day, perpetrated in large part by teacher's unions.

If you think the institution of organized religion has problems, try the institution of education.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
I was an elementary school teacher before becoming assistant dean of education and interim provost for 3 months, LOL, at a public university. I have nothing but respect for home schooling families and the products they turn out. In fact, the university conducted 2 studies which became hallmark studies one on the positive academic effect, the other on the positive social effect, home schooling has.

It's a myth and misconception that home schoolers lag socially. Sadly, it continues to this day, perpetrated in large part by teacher's unions.

If you think the institution of organized religion has problems, try the institution of education.
I suspect you're talking about the USA.

Old 10-27-2013, 02:55 PM

11,253 posts, read 11,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
It's a myth and misconception that home schoolers lag socially.
My aim was not at homeschoolers just for homeschooling. It was more towards the fundamentally religious types that homeschool. Sadly, this group constitutes a large portion of the homeschooling crowd, because they don't want their children influenced by "things of the devil", such as most sciences.

It's not the homeschooling that makes them lag amongst their peers. It's because they have not been allowed to associate with children and young adults outside of a church and home environment. That is, assuming, that were still talking about parents who are so fundamental that they don't celebrate any normal American holidays. Even for many of this type that do celebrate holidays as other families do, it is still a rough assimilation sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity