Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,068,214 times

Advertisements

A poster on the forum who thought me bringing up history of a certain religion (Mormon) was attacking the religion asked me to post what "my religion" was so we could discuss its history (good and bad).

I'm Methodist.

Methodism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Discuss away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
A poster on the forum who thought me bringing up history of a certain religion (Mormon) was attacking the religion asked me to post what "my religion" was so we could discuss its history (good and bad).

I'm Methodist.

Discuss away.
To help things along.. here is a disgruntled former Methodist..

Denominationalism: "Why I Left The Methodist Church" (The Bible Speaks:Article)

and an article on racist methodists..

Methodist News - Institute on Religion and Democracy (broken link)

John Wesley on Slavery..

Thoughts Upon Slavery by John Wesley (1774)

United Methodist women on racism..
UMW - Racial Justice History (http://new.gbgm-umc.org/umw/work/social-action/racial-justice/racial-justice-history/ - broken link)

Last edited by bigthirsty; 11-21-2007 at 10:25 AM..

Old 11-21-2007, 10:12 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,178,043 times
that's a good reference. It's well worth the time it takes to read it. My father's family was Methodist and I was christened in the same church that my great grandfather helped start back in the early 1800s.

The following is taken from the Wikipedia article. Please note the important given to REASON.

....."Methodists, stemming from John Wesley's own practices of theological reflection, make use of Tradition as a source of authority. Though not on the same level as Holy Scripture, tradition is a lens through which Scripture is interpreted. Theological discourse for Methodists almost always makes use of Scripture read inside the great Tradition of Christendom.

It is a traditional position of the church that any disciplined theological work calls for the careful use of reason. By reason, it is said, one reads and interprets Scripture. By reason one determines whether one's Christian witness is clear. By reason one asks questions of faith and seeks to understand God's action and will....."

Old 11-21-2007, 11:55 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

I'm Methodist.

Discuss away.
I'll contribute the Catholic Churches opinion of predestination.
For those who think protestants are all united, watch them discuss this topic.
BTW: I was baptised Methodist, and my paternal Uncle was a Methodist minister in New England, I'm now a Papist.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,432,639 times
i guess methodism isnt as much fun to argue about as mormanism

Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,883,165 times
I was raised a Methodist, and went there until my mid-teen years. But, over the years, I migrated from one denomination to another: Baptist, Nazarene, Church of God, Assembly of God, Charismatic, to where finally today I just consider myself a "non-denominational" Christian. However, as far as I know, my name is still on the roster at the local Methodist church. I still have the bible my Methodist Sunday-school teacher gave me in 1957...when I was in
3rd grade. (good grief: that was 50 years ago!)

Bud

Old 11-25-2007, 08:56 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,524,190 times
Big, what you will discover is that this thread will probably go nowhere, and the reason is most likely the following: In the former Mormon / racism thread, one will find only three species of posters, those who just hate the LDS Church, those who profess not to have any feelings about the LDS Church but are curious from a “historical’ perspective, and members of the LDS faith. “Faithful and obedient” members of the LDS faith are forbidden from even the mild appearance of attacking another religion, so they will avoid discussing potentially negative or unflattering aspects of another faith. Without two perspectives, there isn’t much left for discussion.

I hope this thread dies, not because of any animosity toward my former religion, but because painting any religion in a negative light is not in keeping with Christian values. I had my doctrinal reasons for leaving the Methodist religion and joining the LDS faith, but they are mine and only time will tell whether I or any member of the LDS faith is right.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeantL View Post
Big, what you will discover is that this thread will probably go nowhere, and the reason is most likely the following: In the former Mormon / racism thread, one will find only three species of posters, those who just hate the LDS Church, those who profess not to have any feelings about the LDS Church but are curious from a “historical’ perspective, and members of the LDS faith. “Faithful and obedient” members of the LDS faith are forbidden from even the mild appearance of attacking another religion, so they will avoid discussing potentially negative or unflattering aspects of another faith. Without two perspectives, there isn’t much left for discussion.

I hope this thread dies, not because of any animosity toward my former religion, but because painting any religion in a negative light is not in keeping with Christian values. I had my doctrinal reasons for leaving the Methodist religion and joining the LDS faith, but they are mine and only time will tell whether I or any member of the LDS faith is right.
I'm simply providing a space for other to discuss this particular denomination. Another poster on the other thread asked what my religion was (rightfully so) and I posted it. I tried to post the good and the bad to give both sides of the story.

I'm not trying to paint any religion in a negative light. I call the good and the bad. The thing is.. "Methodism" is just a denomination of the greater religion of "Christianity". I have serious issues with the power organized the Chrstian church has held over people throughout history (whatever denomination of Christianity) as well as the countless drops of blood spilled in "his" name.

As such I call a spade a spade. You can tell me I'm a "hater" of the mormon religion. My feelings won't be hurt. I've called out plenty of traditional Christians on this board before (Oral Roberts etc). So don't take it personal.. I'm an equal opportunity spade caller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity