Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 AM

34 posts, read 34,259 times

Advertisements

I have a question in which I haven't done a whole lot of research on, and I am curious if anybody could offer any answers.

So, we are told several times that "You shall have no Other Gods."

However, what exactly are the "Sons Of God" that mated with human females, creating Nephilim. Were these divine beings?

Also, in Genesis 11:7, when God decides to confuse the language of the people while they are building the tower of babel, God states, "Let US go down there and confuse language, so that they may not understand one another's speech."

Who is "US" referring to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 07:35 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,247,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSTL13 View Post
I have a question in which I haven't done a whole lot of research on, and I am curious if anybody could offer any answers.

However, what exactly are the "Sons Of God" that mated with human females, creating Nephilim. Were these divine beings?

Also, in Genesis 11:7, when God decides to confuse the language of the people while they are building the tower of babel, God states, "Let US go down there and confuse language, so that they may not understand one another's speech."

I believe the correct quote is Exodus 20:3 "Thou shalt have no other gods before me. and well as no other God beside him also. so that takes care of false gods, and anyone who put a second, and third person as a separate God, or person beside him. but the us, is the SAME us in Genesis 1:26. God is a plurality of ONE, meaning a diversity, or the Share of himself. and when God speak, he speak as that, a plurality from his point of view. meaning that which is to come is as if it is already came. because he
"calleth those things which be not as though they were", for he is the eternal God, and he is not limited by time. so when he speaks he speaks in that term. the us is him shared.

be blessed.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:44 AM

33,305 posts, read 26,506,892 times
Quote:

The term 'sons of God' in the Old Testament is a reference to angels. The sons of God who mated with human females in Genesis 6 were angels which are now confined in Tartarus as stated in 2 Peter 2:4.
2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into Tartarus (tartarōsas; tartaroó) and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
Jude 6 also identifies them as angels.
Jude 6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
1 Peter 3:19-20 refers to the Genesis 6 incident as well.
1 Peter 3:19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20] who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Angels are referred to as 'sons of God' in the Old Testament by virtue of having been directly created by God, just as Adam is called the son of God by virtue of direct creation (Luke 3:38).

Genesis 11:7 is dialog between the Persons of the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son (the pre-incarnate Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit.

The 'other gods' are the false gods and idols of men. Demons (fallen angels) are behind the false gods.
Deut. 32:17 "They sacrificed to demons who were not God, To gods whom they have not known, New gods who came lately, Whom your fathers did not dread.

Old 03-27-2014, 08:02 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,421,833 times
Quote:

Angels, Jesus (even men) are referred to as G/gods. It simply refers to heavenly beings (1Cor 15) however elevating anyone to equality with Jehovah/YHWH God is the problem.

The "US" can include Jehovah/YHWH God, His Son and over 200,000,000 angels. Probably not all the angels though were meant.

Today (after the 4th century for sure) the meaning of both the Hebrew and Greek words took on a new and inaccurate meaning from a "Christian" perspective.

In 200 AD if you asked a Greek who was God, he would say "who/which God, there are many God's Zeus, Apollo, Athena, etc". If you asked a 5th century Greek he would simply say "God" meaning the God of the Bible as her understood it.

The narrowing of the meaning of the word was done to favor the Trinity doctrine and was part of a centuries long argument over which opinion of men would win out.

According to Scripture Jehovah/YHWH God is "the God of G/gods" and thus other G/gods must exist or He is only the God of nothing real. The angels are all G/gods, and Gods sons, so they too are divine by nature. Just as all humans are, well, ..... humans.

The word "false G/god" is not found in scripture at all. Plus the Hebrew and Greek did not have lower and upper case letters so a Hebrew or a Greek would read "THE GOD OF GODS". The modern upper and lower case is not of value in determining word meaning and application.

Hebrew: 482 Elohim (f.) pl. in number. a. rulers, judges, either as divine representatives at sacred places or as reflecting divine majesty and power. b. divine ones, superhuman beings including God and angels. c. angels; cf. ~yhla (h) ynb = (the) sons of God, or sons of gods = angels. d. gods. 2. Pl. intensive. a. god or goddess, always with sf. b. godlike one. c. works of God, or things specially belonging to him (vid. lae 5). d. God (vid. 3 & 4). 3. ~yhil{a/h' the (true) God; in many phrases, as ~yhlah vya the man of God, acting under divine authority and influence: = (a) angel, (b) prophet (the term coming into use in the Northern kingdom in the age of Elijah: of Moses; of Samuel; of David; Shemaiah; Elijah, Elisha, and others of their time; unnamed prophet; Hanan. 4. ~yhil{a/ = God. (pg 43)

Greek: 2316 theos {theh'-os}
Meaning: 1) a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities 2) the Godhead, trinity 2a) God the Father, the first person in the trinity 2b) Christ, the second person of the trinity 2c) Holy Spirit, the third person in the trinity 3) spoken of the only and true God 3a) refers to the things of God 3b) his counsels, interests, things due to him 4) whatever can in any respect be likened unto God, or resemble him in any way 4a) God's representative or viceregent 4a1) of magistrates and judges
Origin: of uncertain affinity; a deity, espec

Old 03-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The term 'sons of God' in the Old Testament is a reference to angels. The sons of God who mated with human females in Genesis 6 were angels which are now confined in Tartarus

Sons of God are not angels. scripture,
Hebrews 1:5 "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”. that's any angel, and at any time as in Genesis 6 and any where else.

Old 03-28-2014, 04:46 PM

Quote:
The term 'sons of God' in the Old Testament is a reference to angels. The sons of God who mated with human females in Genesis 6 were angels which are now confined in Tartarus as stated in 2 Peter 2:4.
2 Peter 2:4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into Tartarus (tartarōsas; tartaroó) and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;
Jude 6 also identifies them as angels.
Jude 6 And angels who did not keep their own domain, but abandoned their proper abode, He has kept in eternal bonds under darkness for the judgment of the great day,
1 Peter 3:19-20 refers to the Genesis 6 incident as well.
1 Peter 3:19 in which also He went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison, 20] who once were disobedient, when the patience of God kept waiting in the days of Noah, during the construction of the ark, in which a few, that is, eight persons, were brought safely through the water.

Angels are referred to as 'sons of God' in the Old Testament by virtue of having been directly created by God, just as Adam is called the son of God by virtue of direct creation (Luke 3:38).

Genesis 11:7 is dialog between the Persons of the Trinity. God the Father, God the Son (the pre-incarnate Jesus), and God the Holy Spirit.

The 'other gods' are the false gods and idols of men. Demons (fallen angels) are behind the false gods.
Deut. 32:17 "They sacrificed to demons who were not God, To gods whom they have not known, New gods who came lately, Whom your fathers did not dread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101c View Post
Sons of God are not angels. scripture,
Hebrews 1:5 "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?”. that's any angel, and at any time as in Genesis 6 and any where else.
In the Old Testament angels are called the sons of God.

Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God (bə·nê hā·’ĕ·lō·hîm) came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
bə·nê hā·’ĕ·lō·hîm - sons of God in Job 1:6 refers to angels.

Angels are called sons of God by virtue of having been directly created by God. Adam is called the son of God in Luke 3:38 also by reason of having been directly created by God. In the New Testament, believers are called sons of God by adoption. Jesus is the unique Son of God.

Commentary on Job 1:6 that the sons of God refers to angels.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
'Now there was a day - Dr. Good renders this, "And the day came." Tindal." Now upon a time." The Chaldee paraphrasist has presumed to specify the time, and renders it, "Now it happened in the day of judgment (or scrutiny, דדינא ביומא), "in the beginning of the year," that hosts of angels came to stand in judgment before yahweh, and Satan came." '

'The sons of God - Angels; compare Job 38:7. The whole narrative supposes that they were celestial beings.'
Job 1:6 Commentaries: Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
There was a day when the sons of God - All the versions, and indeed all the critics, are puzzled with the phrase sons of God; בני האלהים beney haelohim, literally, sons of the God, or sons of the gods. The Vulgate has simply filii dei, sons of God. The Septuagint, οἱ αγγελοι του θεου, the angels of God. The Chaldee, כתי מלאכיא kittey malachaiya, troops of angels.
Job 1:6 Commentaries: Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord,.... This is generally understood of the angels, as in Job 38:7 who may be thought to be so called, because of their creation by the father of spirits,

Geneva Study Bible
Now there was a day when the {k} sons of God came to present themselves {l} before the LORD, and Satan {m} came also among them.
(k) Meaning the angels, who are called the sons of God because they are willing to execute his will.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
6. sons of God—angels (Job 38:7; 1Ki 22:19). They present themselves to render account of their "ministry" in other parts of the universe (Heb 1:14).

Pulpit Commentary
Verse 6. - Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord. By "the sons of God" it is generally admitted that, in this place, the angels are meant (so again in Job 38:7).

Wesley's Notes
1:6 A day - A certain time appointed by God. The sons - The holy angels, so called, chap.38:7 Dan 3:25,28, because of their creation by God, for their resemblance of him in power, and dignity, and holiness, and for their filial affection and obedience, to him.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Old 03-28-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
In the Old Testament angels are called the sons of God.
Job 1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God (bə·nê hā·’ĕ·lō·hîm) came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came among them.
bə·nê hā·’ĕ·lō·hîm - sons of God in Job 1:6 refers to angels.

Angels are called sons of God by virtue of having been directly created by God. Adam is called the son of God in Luke 3:38 also by reason of having been directly created by God. In the New Testament, believers are called sons of God by adoption. Jesus is the unique Son of God.

Commentary on Job 1:6 that the sons of God refers to angels.

Barnes' Notes on the Bible
'Now there was a day - Dr. Good renders this, "And the day came." Tindal." Now upon a time." The Chaldee paraphrasist has presumed to specify the time, and renders it, "Now it happened in the day of judgment (or scrutiny, דדינא ביומא), "in the beginning of the year," that hosts of angels came to stand in judgment before yahweh, and Satan came." '

'The sons of God - Angels; compare Job 38:7. The whole narrative supposes that they were celestial beings.'

Clarke's Commentary on the Bible
There was a day when the sons of God - All the versions, and indeed all the critics, are puzzled with the phrase sons of God; בני האלהים beney haelohim, literally, sons of the God, or sons of the gods. The Vulgate has simply filii dei, sons of God. The Septuagint, οἱ αγγελοι του θεου, the angels of God. The Chaldee, כתי מלאכיא kittey malachaiya, troops of angels.

Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord,.... This is generally understood of the angels, as in Job 38:7 who may be thought to be so called, because of their creation by the father of spirits,

Geneva Study Bible
Now there was a day when the {k} sons of God came to present themselves {l} before the LORD, and Satan {m} came also among them.
(k) Meaning the angels, who are called the sons of God because they are willing to execute his will.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary
6. sons of God—angels (Job 38:7; 1Ki 22:19). They present themselves to render account of their "ministry" in other parts of the universe (Heb 1:14).

Pulpit Commentary
Verse 6. - Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the Lord. By "the sons of God" it is generally admitted that, in this place, the angels are meant (so again in Job 38:7).

Wesley's Notes
1:6 A day - A certain time appointed by God. The sons - The holy angels, so called, chap.38:7 Dan 3:25,28, because of their creation by God, for their resemblance of him in power, and dignity, and holiness, and for their filial affection and obedience, to him.

Job 38:7 When the morning stars sang together And all the sons of God shouted for joy?

LOL, just because Satan came among the Sons of God do not make him a son. example if Mike555 family had a reunion. and 101c came among them do that make 101c a member of Mike555 family?, NO. so that verse is moot.

and once again, from the LORD commentary, the bible,
Hebrews 1:5 "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?". angels are not sons of God.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
LOL, just because Satan came among the Sons of God do not make him a son. example if Mike555 family had a reunion. and 101c came among them do that make 101c a member of Mike555 family?, NO. so that verse is moot.

and once again, from the LORD commentary, the bible,
Hebrews 1:5 "For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?". angels are not sons of God.
Hebrews 1:5 refers specifically to Jesus. Jesus is the unique Son of God. The sons of God mentioned in Job 1:6 and Job 38: 7 is not a reference to Jesus, and is not a reference to men. That leaves angels (which are not being told that they are 'begotten'), which as you have been shown is recognized as such by commentators and theologians.

And again, Adam is also called the son of God in Luke 3:38.

But disagree if you wish. It changes nothing.

Last edited by Michael Way; 03-28-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Hebrews 1:5 refers specifically to Jesus. Jesus is the unique Son of God.

And again, Adam is also called the son of God in Luke 3:38.

But disagree if you wish. It changes nothing.

LOL, thanks, you're right he, Jesus, is the ONLY unique Son of God. that means he have no more sons, unless humans, LOL. so that is moot.

now as for Adam is he an angel or human?. well?

and I will only agree with the bible, not you, or any commentary who is not in line with the bible.

now is Adam an angel?.

Old 03-28-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
LOL, thanks, you're right he, Jesus, is the ONLY unique Son of God. that means he have no more sons, unless humans, LOL. so that is moot.

now as for Adam is he an angel or human?. well?

and I will only agree with the bible, not you, or any commentary who is not in line with the bible.

now is Adam an angel?.
Just what are you claiming the sons of God are in Job 38:7 who shouted for joy when God laid the foundation of the earth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity