Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 PM

400 posts, read 602,919 times

Advertisements

Vatican II, Homosexuality and Pedophilia by Atila Sinke Guimaraes

Book Review by Gary Morella on Vatican II, Homosexuality and Pedophilia by Atila Sinke Guimaraes

Customer Reviews
Vatican II, Homosexuality & Pedophilia

2 Reviews
5 star:
(2)
4 star: (0)
3 star: (0)
2 star: (0)
1 star: (0)
Average Customer Review
5.0 out of 5 stars (2 customer reviews)
Share your thoughts with other customers
Create your own review

Most Helpful First | Newest First

15 of 16 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely brilliant - the best of its kind, April 19, 2008
By W. C. Bonner "young fogey" (Atlanta) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vatican II, Homosexuality & Pedophilia (Paperback)
This is the Holy Grail. A methodical, systematic review of the origins and outcomes of the priest sexual abuse scandal from the viewpoint of a devout Catholic rather than an atheist on the faculty of a journalism school.

Guimaraes has created a work that should be referred to both today and in 50 years by:

- presenting the complete Scriptural and Magisterial proscriptions against homosexuality
- outlining the documents from Vatican II used to rationalize the more lenient Vatican documents to follow
- demonstrating how bishops and seminary rectors believed lenient statements from the Vatican in the 1970's and 1980's provided cover for their recruitment of homosexuals to the seminary
- reviewing how the breakdown of morals associated with homosexual activity in the seminaries resulted in ordained priests believing that the same license should extend to boys they came in contact with
- providing a list of every single publicly identified case of clerical sexual abuse in the United States from 1985 until 2003
- perhaps most disheartening, revealing how the Curia actually demanded that the proposals of the USCCB after the June 2002 meeting be changed so that it would be more diffcult to remove abusing priests from ministry
- demonstrating (in the 'sophisms' section) how a return to orthodoxy will be the only successful way to prevent a re-occurence of this scandal and how "liberal" proposals are doomed to failure in that regard

I wish the distribution of this was better, because it deserves to be regarded as the definitive historical document of the most tragic episode in the history of the church in the United States. Buy this for every one you can afford to, and lend it to everyone else.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment
19 of 23 people found the following review helpfful 5.0 out of 5 stars Pink Elephant, April 18, 2005
By John T. Turner "JT Turner" (Nevada City, Ca. USA) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
This review is from: Vatican II, Homosexuality & Pedophilia (Paperback)
If this book was not so thououghly researched and footnoted a reader might suspect the author's intentions. If one thinks that the pedophelia scandal has gone away or that simply a few bad priests that slipped through the cracks into the priesthood, buy the book! Remember that 85% of the victims were young males! Of course, the priests who victimized these boys were homosexuals! And, you might ask why bishops protected them! Within the ranks of the clergy lives a pink elephant and this beast is protected by a lavender mafia. If you are curious as to the orientation of the clergy, buy the book. You'll be shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael17 View Post
Pedophilia is a mental illness,
Homosexuality is not.

Homosexuality is some thing natural created by god.
Animals do it all the time.
Not according to the RCC. Homosexuality (same sex attraction) is an illness that, with therapy, can be overcome.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The actual report Voris claims is a whitewash........all 143 pages
http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-acti...-1950-2010.pdf

Old 11-15-2013, 09:33 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times

I still like Voris. He gets attacks on both sides, I like that and I think his views will coincide with Francis' more than not when we hear more from Francis.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartstarr1960 View Post
Not according to the RCC. Homosexuality (same sex attraction) is an illness that, with therapy, can be overcome.

They don't call it an illness they say it is a gender disorder and do not push therapy. They do have support for gays with programs like Courage Home Page

Old 11-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Both need to be stopped and they are now. The new Pope is working on it, maybe not in the public view but I believe that is why Benedict retired and Francis took over. Benedict was getting too old to fight it so let Francis take over.
I think you have it all wrong. I was a Catholic and went to a Catholic seminary in the early 70's Janelle. I wanted to be a priest. Pope John Paul II was making many changes and over 60% of those at the seminary left. It's no big secret what was left. I too left and ended up leaving the church because of things I'd seen and been exposed to. You have no idea.

Pope Benedict was a traditionalist. He was fighting to bring some semblance of order back to the church. I'm not going to speculate on why he retired, there are many unsubstantiated rumors, and I have no real insider information.

I'm not sure where Pope Francis will take the church. I do know this. Many of my relatives and my mom are Catholic. They have pretty much stopped going to church. The scandals finally proved to them what I've been saying for nearly 40 years now.

I could tell you and the other Catholics on the forum things I have seen and heard that would either make you sick to your stomach or call me a liar. I went through enough of that with my own family. My only concern is that Catholics find there way to heaven. There was a time I had no doubts that was the mission of the Catholic Church. Unfortunately, that has changed.

Whether you or any of the other staunch, devout Catholics will ever have ears to hear I don't know.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 PM

bartstarr you really need to listen to Michael Voris than. He totally agrees with you on the church needs to be healed. He knows what is going on and also read the book, "A Few Good Men" about the scandals in the seminaries. Voris also went to Seminary.

It is sad many are losing their faith over this. devout Catholics are hearing but we know if we stay close to Christ and the Holy Spirit the Church will come out of this. After all, the church had gone through many scandals and has always come out of them. God promised the Holy Spirit will protect the Church until the end of time.

P.S. I am not sure about that book title, I need to research it and get back to you.

This is the book. Many gays entered and straight men left.

http://www.amazon.com/Goodbye-Good-M...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Last edited by janelle144; 11-15-2013 at 10:16 PM..

Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 PM

Default One review from the book---

114 of 124 people found the following review helpful So True its Scary
By Bob Smith on May 24, 2005
Format: Hardcover Having spent ten years in the seminary studying to be a Catholic priest for the Diocese of Orange in California, I picked up Rose's piece of work on a whim. The first couple of pages scared the hell out of me because he is right on target. The seminary system in and of itself is corrupted at its core... more time was spent in class discussing heretical theologicans and the need for openness towards women than the actual studies that would help us be priests! Homosexuality was in full force and more than a few guys were openly dating each other. Rose exposes these troubled times within the seminary system with a full force that should be acknowledged. Until the Bishops of America decide to overhaul the seminary system and strengthen the requirements of prayer and the Mass and eliminate the feel good spirituality classes that are taught there, the Church will continue to suffer. I personally know some of the persons written by Rose... and none of it surprises me.

Old 11-16-2013, 12:18 AM

Default This is what the Church is doing about the problem now

VIRTUS® Online

Everyone in my parish has to take this course if they are going to have anything to do with children in programs, etc.

Click on the introduction video, it's very interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity